To open junk mail or not!

Wylie

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
Here we go again with the bulk mail and the question to open or not to open something that just looks really fishy to me.
I just got an email from "The Post Office" with an attachment and no subject. Geez what do you think I should do with this email. Okay it has 112 kb of information and you know I could really care less what it may just have to say if it may jeopordize my computer.

I don't think this is any form of mastermind criminal planning his dome for all of humanity but yet this hanis (terms may not be used on the internet for fear of young ears) stunod got my email address and thinks I am just as dumb a (once again terms may not be used on the internet for fear of young ears) stunod and I would open this email.

So what do you folks think I should do with this little jem of an email?

I'm just getting sick of computers at this point and it is only because of these (terms may not be used on the internet for fear of young ears once again) who think I am just that stupid to open something like this email.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Just venting and any replies are welcome.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Wylie

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
delete first ask questions later.
i delete any emails with attachments that i am not expecting or are not from a trusted sender.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
if it is in the bulk mail in yahoo etc.... it is a mass mailed letter and not specifically to you... with a 112k attachment it very very much LIKELY has a virus/trojan attached and yes it could be a criminal wanting to either take over your computer grabbing passwords and stealing etc.

My advice is... if you didn't ask for it... it is a trap.. don't do it. The NO SUBJECT ones ARE ALMOST gauranteed to be spam or hostile... they use that method to try to thwart email filters.

Don't do it..... it's a trap...... aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
del.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which is a very stable stand alone mail client (email).

Thunderbird has a Bayleon spam filter, which means it's intellegent. it learns by you labeling what's junk. anyone on your private email list is always let thru. Once it learns, it's 99.8%+ accurate. Almost never give a false negative. So you don't have to worry about losing a real email. After the intial "training". I don't even bother to scan the email tagged as spam. simply empty trash w/o even touching 99% of the spam.

the few spam that does get thru are cleverly written. Those you label "spam" and the filter learns.

most importantly, there is an option to not allow images to load on mail tagged as spam.

Thunderbird is not perfect, but is abslutely the best mail client available. And free to boot. Thunderbird .9

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
I use Mailwasher. Its a sort of a email preview system b4 loading OE. Downloads the header, has a preview mode and does not run anything from the email. Check it out.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always just put the junk mail I get in the shredder. I used to open it and have to shred a couple pages at a time, now I have one of those shredders that will almost shred a magazine and I just toss everything in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

For e-mail, I just nuke 'em and don't worry about it. There's ways to see what's in the e-mail safely, and progs to clean and sanitize, and even ones to help report the spammers, but in the end, it's just easier to put 'em in the crapper.

Wylie

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif "The Post Office" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif

I sure get sick of that kind of JUNK!

Just venting folks, it has been delete.