let's talk about the eternalight

turbodog

Flashaholic
let\'s talk about the eternalight

I'm thinking..... why does the eternalight receive so little press? It appears to have a loyal, but small following.

Enough of that. On with the speculation.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've had an EL ergo. I liked it, but sold it because of the non-regulation. I then bought an elitemax. I REALLY like this light.

I can understand that some may want to change the settings for this light. But why would you want to turn regulation OFF? Is there a purpose for this? Is this useful when your batteries are extremely close to being dead?

Other than that question I can't say enough good things about this light. I consider it an early u2. It's going with me this spring on a week long backcountry mtn bike trip as my only (gasp!) light.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: let\'s talk about the eternalight

I hadn't paid a lot of attention to them - the form factor just didn't appeal to me and many of the features are more play toys than useful to me.

That said, I just bought one with my daugher in mind. She wanted a light that she could find in the dark in the event of an outage and one of the recent threads said it could be set to do that. If it doesn't and I don't think I'll use it, I'll sell it and get a Palight.

Gandalf

Enlightened

I've bought a *lot* of EternaLights since 2001. My first one, an Ergo Marine, is still on it's first set of batteries, despite countless hours of use. I have two Elite Xrays that get a fair amount of use as well.

Right now, my well worn Ergo Marine is in my auto glove box for the winter, with a spare set of lithium cells, and one of the small Phillips screwdrivers (that unfortunately only comes with the Elite models).

An Elite Xray lives in a coat pocket for the winter, as well.

I've give so many as gifts, I've lost count. At least a dozen. *Everyone* I've given one to absolutely raves about them. Several people have asked me to get another one or more for them, which I have taken care of.

Over the summer I bought 4 Ergos for gifts this Christmas, and 2 Elite Xray models for myself, since they may soon be unavailable. All the Ergos were purchased from Technology Associates on auction at eBay. The two Elite Xrays were also purchased on eBay, NIB, from a CPF member. I like to keep my buying within the CPF community, (including dealer supporters), whenever possible.

I've never wanted to spend the (considerably) extra money to get an Elite Max. Using lithium AA cells, the light output drop over time isn't too bad; and while it does dim somewhat over time, the unregulated models give a decent output with a significantly longer runtime than the Elite Max model.

Likely, if I had ever come across a really good price on an Elite Max I would have bought one, but I haven't, and I think 5 EternaLights is enough for my use for many, many years to come.

If I could only own one flashlight for the rest of my life, I'd pick the Eternalight Elite Xray in a flash. They truly are a unique flashlight, and it's doubtful that anything will come close to taking their place, if Eternalight isn't manufactured by a new owner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I consider it one of the finest flashlights ever made; it was far, far ahead of it's time when it was introduced, and there is still nothing on the market to come close to matching it. (And yes, I know about the Chinese 'clone', but by all accounts, it's a pretty poor copy of the original).

Today, the most interest is in high output 3 and 5 watt Luxeon LED flashlights, which consume two CR123 cells in an hour or so.

Really bright lights are great, but isn't it interesting that SureFire has finally introduced a LED light with variable output, to increase it's utility, and increase battery life?

Of course, being a SureFire flashlight, it's so outrageously overpriced, it's almost a (bad) joke, in my opinion. For the price of one SF U2, I can buy 10 EternaLights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I won't be buying one, along with many other people who share my opinion of SF price gouging, and dealer policies.

But the EternaLght, like the Arc AAA, is unique in it's form, function, and utility. I hope to still be using several, a decade or two into the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love my Ergo 3... Brought it for a camping trip as a spare (backup for my backup light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif}, and turns out I had to loan out a couple of lights. Kept the Ergo3 for myself and it was just awesome for a camping light, esp with dimmable output, you can use it as a night light or just navigating w/o disturbing others in their sleep. And don't get me started on the battery life!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Thanks for starting this, turbodog... Good luck with your biking trip... but wait, did you say 'ONLY' light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Don't you remember that flashaholics need to carry 2 at least? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Well, I'm sure you've got it all worked out, have fun anyways! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a couple of them - the original, with it's not-so-hot button panel, and the X-Ray. The original has been modified to throw IR from half of it's LEDs, but that's just for work where I need to test IR detectors. The XRay sits next to my bed with the little find-me light blinking every couple seconds. They're great power outage lights. They throw a nice pool of light, which is better for groping around a dark house with than a narrow beam. The zillion modes I could do without - a simple brightness adjustment would have been sufficient, and easier to work with. But still a very cool, very useful, very durable light.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Turbodog,

EternaLights are great. A bit unorthodox in their form, but easy to use and carry. They are not the brightest light around, but hold their own.

It is good to see the big boys finally catching on to variable brightness modes. The EternaLight users have been enjoying this for years.

I use my Elite Max's mostly while camping. Camping does not require a lot of light (search and rescue excluded), but it is always nice to have some light. I turn the regulation off to get longer battery life.

If you check the instruction manual you will see that the Max's performance on lithium cells is quite good and regulation does not offer that much improvement in performance. The regulations graphs were done with the light at maximum brightness. I tend to use the light down a few steps from full brightness. This tends to improve the curves of the unregulated run.

At home, I turn the regulation back on because I am not worried about battery life and spare batteries are handy.

By the way, the pizza delivery person can always find my house because it is the one with the flashing light in the window.

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have an elitemax which lives on my fridge.

funny, i dont use it much...and was going to sell it, but my wife vetoed!

the exposed LED's bug me (glare...and i wear glasses), and on the 2nd from brightest setting, it whines loudly (as well as some of the lower brightness settings).
mr eternalight stated i could try caulking (or something like that) around an inductor (or something like that!) to dampen the noise.

it is loud! anyone have this issue and solve it?

yet, mr eternalight was very nice, and i think he offered to have me return it...but i decided not to.

still, a pretty amazing little light.
i just wish he would apply that level of control to a luxeon (Punch???).
i have been tempted to try to get the eternalight to control a luxeon...but my electronics skill is...lacking.

Bob

turbodog

Flashaholic

So is that it? Turning off regulation decreases battery life some?

And yes, it'll be the ONLY light going with me on my trip. This took a LOT of thinking about. For those interested, check out www.sanjuanhuts.com and look at the durango to moab route. Feel free to come along as we still need a few riders.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Turbodog,

That trip looks very interesting. The EternaLight would be a great light to take along.

Lithium batteries without regulation last about 1/3 longer. Alkaline batteries without regulation last 3X longer.

Please understand that although the batteries last longer without regulation, it will be at somewhat reduced brightness.

Tom

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was late to adopt the EternaLights because of price. But now that I have a couple (ErgoMarine & EliteMAX) I realize my folly. Other than the little bit of glare from the exposed LEDs (no biggie) I love everything about them. Especially like the flat shape. Tired of lights which roll away. Of course the adjustable output is their number 1 feature.

I run the MAX with regulation since I like consistency. I have the night beacon set to constant on, so it acts like a nightlight on my bedstand. Think I'm gonna pick up an ErgoXRay for each bedroom as an emergency light. The night beacon will make it easy for the kids to find should they need to get out in case of fire or what ever.

If I could only own one flashlight it would be the EternaLight because it's like many flashlights in one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My eternaLight Raven was lost/left behind in a move about two months ago, yet I still think about the damn thing every couple of days, and have even looked for it a few times knowing in advance I would not find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I don't have the money to buy another one, otherwise I would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

83Venture

Enlightened

My elite X-Ray was my first adjustable light and am very glad that I bought one. Am very sorry to see them going out of business, this is one of the most versatile lights I have.

After Christmas I am planning to buy either another X-Ray or an Elite.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an Ergo 3 and an Ergo Xray. I love them both. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I need a screwdriver to change the batteries. Luckily it's not going to just suddenly die, though, and leave me in the dark. The threads could be a little tougher. Las time I changed batteries in my Ergo 3, I must have tightened one of the screws too much, and it made a bulge on the other side of the light. (It was as if the screw was too long or something). Does anyone know how to fortify the threads, or repair them if they get stripped out?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Well I really can't add more good words to what's already been said here! I'm a believer in the eternaLight line of lights and certainly believe for the money that every "Flashaholic" should have at least one!! (You actually need "several" placed in "strategic locations"!!)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

My little Derringer is definitely one of my favorites. Having three levels of white and two of red is really nice, and the other modes are just icing. Weatherproofing is a little slim on this model, though.

Geoff

turbodog

Flashaholic

Someone that's adventurous should look into modding one. There is a pretty good difference in brightness between the ergo and elitemax. I don't really know what you would mod though. If you increase brightness or add a luxeon you take away some of the best features of the light (runtime/etc). Maybe there's an easy way to get the ergo series up to the elitemax level of brightness. Why is the elitelax brighter? Are the leds being given more current? Or are they simply a better grade emitter?

Gandalf

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
I have an Ergo 3 and an Ergo Xray. I love them both. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I need a screwdriver to change the batteries. Luckily it's not going to just suddenly die, though, and leave me in the dark. The threads could be a little tougher. Las time I changed batteries in my Ergo 3, I must have tightened one of the screws too much, and it made a bulge on the other side of the light. (It was as if the screw was too long or something). Does anyone know how to fortify the threads, or repair them if they get stripped out?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a way to do it, but it's a bit tricky, and if you blow it, you are SOL. You need a very good epoxy, like JB weld, (actually, the *only* epoxy I'd trust) and some heavy grease.

Fill the stripped hole with epoxy, and screw in the screw, coated with grease. Silicone grease works best. As the epoxy hardens, carefully unscrew the screw, so it doesn't get glued in place. This is the tricky part: you have to do it before the epoxy hardens, but not so soon as to allow the epoxy to sag. Quick setting JB Weld has about a 3.5 minute working time, so you have to monitor the consistency constantly. Don't worry about excess epoxy above the original hole; you can file it down when it's fully hardened.

The only place I can usually find the quick-setting JB weld is at Walmart. I have done this several times, but I have also had a few failures. If the screw becomes glued in place, you are SOL, becayse JB weld is stronger than the case material. If the hole 'fills in', you can still salvage it by carefully drilling out the hole with a drill very close to the diameter of the screw, and carefully start the screw, watching for , and feeling for too much resistance. You want to avoid cracking the JB weld. A set of drill bits in 64th inch increments is very handy to have. I have a cheap set made in China, that drill wood, plastic and aluminum just fine. They aren't hard enough to do a good job on steel, but I don't even try anymore. Good luck!