Any Luxeon Mods for the Solitaire?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
My name might say I hate mags, but the modded ones are awesome! I read a few mods done on solitaires using 5mm LEDs but the batteries for these were either hard to find, or expensive. Are there any affordable Luxeon mods or drop ins for the solitaire?

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
Are there any affordable Luxeon mods or drop ins for the solitaire?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. LED_ASAP and others (tonyb, timb?) make Luxeon Soli-plugs, but I don't think they sell for less than $65 or so (not sure). Your cheapest option would be to buy the parts for a Zetex circuit and make a plug yourself, but this takes electronics skills and equipment a lot of ppl don't have.

Another option would be to mod an Infinity. Search for "+Infinity +mod" for the last 3 years or so and you'll find tons of stuff. I just revived koalas "LUXI" thread. Darzero's Infinity mod thread also has tons and tons of info. There's also a thread by spoogles. IMO those are the three threads with the most info.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
'cheap, good, bright'.. pick any two.. There is a thread for a 3W solitaire mod.. hasn't been posted to in about a month.. I think waiting for parts, just like me for my 3Wlux mod for peak lights. I've seen people make 3 or 5mm LED mods cheap for solitaire.. unfortunately.. LEDs require more voltage than an alkaline can output, and it's really hard to find the likes of 1/3AAA bat to stack an boost the voltage (1/2 and 1/3AA are easy to find).. I personally would wait for LiON AAA to be available and go that route.. the battery seems expensive but you can re-use it hundreds of times so it's actually cheaper than alkaline with the benefit of having three TIMES the power capability. you can make a 5mm or lux mod as simple as a LiON AAA and a resistor.

-awr

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The biggest problem with modding a solitaire is lack of space for anything but uber tiny smd parts and no room for even a circuit board. It may be cheaper to get 3v lithium AAA cells instead of springing for a boost circuit. Once you get into $50 to mod a solitaire you may be better off waiting for an arc AAA in B/S/T instead for around the same price.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it seems that not so many people do solitaire luxeon mods. Maybe I could try one...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The solitaire is a neat sized light but the incan in it is all but worthless IMO. What would be an interesting idea it so design a new clicky tailcap and integrate the boost circuit into it so all you have to do is add a luxeon drop in and maybe a new reflector or optic, then people could buy their own luxeon and either get a really cheap one or a creme of the crop.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
lamba just posted a thread today showing his solitare mod using a micro pill.. i think the pill is made for an arc, but he filed it down and has a DIY description of exactly how.. check the latest threads.

awr