That FAMILIAR question....

brightnorm

Flashaholic
"What's with you and all these lights?"

There's been much discussion of this in the past, but my question is somewhat different. I'm assuming that mankind is hardwired to be profoundly affected by both light and dark and that the predisposition to be fascinated by light or lights is not unique to a tiny segment of the world's online population. If this is true then:

1) Is CPF's membership population potentially vast; eventually tens or even hundreds of thousands?

OR

2) Is it possible that the percentage of people truly FASCINATED by lights, specifically handheld lights is actually extraordinarily small, much less than our species' "hardwiring" would suggest?

3) Are we therefore truly different from the vast majority of people including our friends, neighbors, colleagues and families?

4) Aside from any specific environmental catalyst for our flashlight interest, could we be truly genetically different, actually possess a "Flashaholism gene"?

Admittedly this is all speculation and I'm sure there are psychological elements to our involvement but I wonder if our scientist-members can see any indication of a biological factor in our Flashaholism.

Brightnorm

LightHearted

Enlightened
Well, I'm not a scientist, but I have put some thought into this question. Here's what I've come up with:

Most of my friends seem somewhat interested when I take out my "fun" lights. Some have been truly happy to receive lights as gifts, and some have even asked me for advice on purchasing a good flashlight. From a practical standpoint, most people can probably appreciate the need for a good hand held illumination device. It makes sense. Just like my answer to when people ask me why I always carry a flashlight. I tell them, "Because it gets dark everyday." From a psychological standpoint, I suspect that many, if not most, people are strangely drawn to bright lights in uncommonly small packages. I will admit that I do feel a bit like a crow swooping down to pick up a shiny object every time I pick up a light to "test" it. It's sort of a compulsion. There's just something about the bright light that I'm drawn to. I suspect that many people probably feel this. Most of my friends, however, do think I am a bit strange to spend any length of time at all reading and participating in discussions dealing with "just flashlights." Most people like lights, but few people are willing to spend any length of time discussing the intricate details of what makes up a good light. I suspect that the types of people who frequent this site are probably different in that they (we) are more compulsive than the general population. I know that when I get into a hobby, I usually tend to go all the way. I got into computers and I built my own. I got into kayaking and now have started building a 16' sea kayak. I guess I like to really know as much as I can about the things I'm interested in. I think that maybe we are somewhat normal in the sense that we like lights but abnormal in the extent to which we are willing to go to seek out and learn about them.

Ken

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
BN, wouldn't our biology be factored into everything we are? Not to be glib, but chemicals, proteins, and amino acids unknown may well affect our interests and drive...and then again, maybe not.

Who knows how much we really know about anything? Sometimes we humans seem to put together an air tight answer proving whatever it is we are researching...and it proves, later, to have many holes in it and all the air escapes.

In other words: maybe & I don't know. (talk about being full o' air)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad is a flashaholic, although he doesn't browse the net for lights. He buys them when he sees them at the store. I always try to have a new led light to show off, but he only likes the AA ones.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brightnorm,

Interesting questions...

I know that I browsed CPF for several months before finally registering. I registered because I could not find the answer to a question.

I believe there are lots of people looking for "casual" information to their lighting questions. We tend to take it a step further, but that is another topic.

I don't think we are any different from other people... just more focused. I quite often go camping with the Boy Scouts and bring lights along. Everyone is very interested in checking out my lights. That is until the dinner bell rings. Of the group, there is always a few that show more interest and wonder how you get a so much light from such a small package.

I don't think there is a flashaholic gene. I believe life puts different circumstances in our paths and we respond. It just so happens that we all experience dark and have to figure out how to deal with it. My dad taught me that when the lights go out, you grab the flashlight and hope that it will run long enough to light up the kerosene lanterns. A few thumps and screwing the lens cap and battery cap back and forth to get a good connection, the flashlight would come to feeble life. The batteries would generally last long enough to get the lanterns down and get them going.

Things have changed. I prefer not to light the lantern because of smell and safety issues, but still have them ready in standby. My interest in flashlights has allowed me to collect a variety of lights that are very reliable and put out more light and run longer than the old lanterns.

My son's do not share the intensity that I have for lights, but they have all been caught out in the dark and appreciate being prepared. They all carry at least a key chain light, with bigger guns in their houses and cars.

Another influence is the type of work we do. I often find myself in a situation where my flashlight is my only light. From that, I choose my tools carefully and put a lot of thought into my purchases.

Of course I can never find the right light for the variety of jobs that I do, so I end up with a variety of flashlights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif at least that's what I tell my wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

All in all, I do get a smile on my face and a warm feeling when I turn a light on and the darkness retreats. Perhaps there is more at work here...

Tom

sniper

Enlightened
We are all descended from Neolithic (Paleolithic?...whatever) Hunter-Gatherers.
Long before that, animals discovered that Man tasted good, and he was easier to catch than lots of other critters. This would never do, if Man was to become Rulers of The Universe. Man also discovered that animals tasted good, provided clothing, and the subject for fireside stories to 1)Keep the women and moppets in proper awe of the menfolk.(Well, maybe the moppets) 2) Scare the bejabbers out of the women and moppets. 3) provide some laughs for the menfolk when Og, Jr., being all of 5, picks up a stick, and goes hunting whatever is making that noise beyond the campfire's "throw".
Fire was good, and provided safety, the main component of which being how fast said aboriginal could carry the fire through the weeds.
Of course, if you heard a noise, and wanted to turn up the light, you threw another branch on the fire. This was slow. Thus, the flashlight was born. It is Tribal Memory, guys. The need for seeing more quickly and clearly exactly what was about to jump out of the bushes and grab you, so you could skin up the nearest tree or grab somebody smaller than you and feed him to the beastie was met.
It is in our genetic make-up to this day, faintly remembered when the wind rustles the grass beyond the campfire's light.
Hence the mulltiple lights the most evolved of our breed carry with out being required to. WE ARE THE FUTURE, because deep down, WE REMEMBER! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
The next familiar question..."May I borrow your light?" I find it very strange. The same group that rolls the eyes and scoffs at carrying items will often be first to request assistance of me and my lights or multitool (or tire kit or cables for flat automotive battery,etc)...... But,feelings of guilt if I say no. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Too hard to leave another in bad circumstance.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, they guys here at work laugh about my vast array of carried lighting implements /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But if they need some light, the first words out of their mouth is "Hey, Mike!"

As for the interest, I am also a fireman/paramedic, and I have aninterest in things that bear on that job. OK, maybe an obsession! I have a great divers automatic wristwatch with lots of lume, so I can read it easily and the seconds hand sweeps nicely. Actually, I have a couple of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have several knives on me at all times. Some are suitable for cutting a victim out of their seatbelts, others are useful for the odd tracheostomy. Some can do both. Lights of course - lights for checking the victim, lights for finding the victim, lights for lighting the scene, etc.

Mike

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I agree with KLM. And I think our level of interest is usually initiated by a need for better quality lights. The people I meet who have a more than usual interest need them for their job or they participate in some kind of sport that requires better quality lights.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just talking to someone to whom I gave a keychain light. They appreciate it very much, but don't need a bigger, brighter light so I won't force the issue, although I did demonstrate the U2. I just love having crazy bright at my disposal, because sometimes you really need to see what the heck is going on out there.

There are some people who don't appreciate a light at all until they need it, some who appreciate a light, and some who love the lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
STEVENT6 said:
I agree with KLM. And I think our level of interest is usually initiated by a need for better quality lights. The people I meet who have a more than usual interest need them for their job or they participate in some kind of sport that requires better quality lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

True,

But some who don't need them (including several colleagues I "converted") seem to simply have an unexplained fascination with lights.

BN

flashlite

Enlightened
I think I know what Freud would have said if he had known about flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Perhaps that has something to do with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tinkerfy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zigzago said:
I did not choose to be a flashaholic, I was born this way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally second that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow BN, what a vast topic. It's very hard to form a pithy answerto something like this.

For starters I like what KLM said:

[ QUOTE ]
I think that maybe we are somewhat normal in the sense that we like lights but abnormal in the extent to which we are willing to go to seek out and learn about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think pretty much everyone appreciates good lighting in all of its various forms, but the question as regards CPF membership and flashaholism is not whether someone appreciates good flashlights but how much time, money, and mental energy that person is willing to spend on them. That's why people think we're weird; they think we're going overboard. But chances are that we'll think that THEY are going overboard about something else.

The internet has got so many places where people who are way, way into a hobby can go and talk shop and buy things and read reviews and share thier hobby and excitement. This is one of them. No one could be way into EVERYTHING at once. For example, I am registered with www.coffeegeek.com but I go there about once a month, if that often. I have learned about coffee roasting and grinding and brewing, and I'm pretty much set. I don't need to push the envelope and get a better roaster (I use a $3 yard sale find hot air popcorn popper--and it works great!). The coffee I make and drink is significantly better than ANYTHING I can get out, and that's saying something because we have a local roaster/coffee shop place. Point is that being an active member of a forum means that it is more than just appreciating a good flashlight (or a good brew). It means flashlights are a hobby for you, and that it is something you keep up on and develope and enjoy talking about.

So, even if there is a "LIGHT IS SO COOL; I LIKE LIGHT" gene hardwired into us, I doubt that that gene alone would be sufficient to get someone active on CPF for any length of time.

I think that the CPF membership will continue to increase, certainly, but from what I can see, the number of active members doesn't grow very fast, and sometimes takes a temporary dive.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
"What's with you and all these lights?"

4) Aside from any specific environmental catalyst for our flashlight interest, could we be truly genetically different, actually possess a "Flashaholism gene"?
Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

naah.....just moths drawn to the flame.....

JB

850turbo

Newly Enlightened
I love gadgets, especially anything precision machined out of a nice looking metal. I also really like light, it makes it easy for me to see, and i like being able to see. (just to state the obvious)

so whats not to like about a high quality flashlight? its usually made of machined and anodized aluminum and gives me light so i can see when its dark.

on a side note, my friends all think i'm a huge nerd. they say a 19 year old should be out partying, not playing with gadgets. and they laughed when they found out i carry two flashlights with me everywhere i go. When they bring up what a looser i am though, i just remind them that i have a girlfreind and they dont, and she doesnt have a problem with my flashlights.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that were all born with it....I am 14, and love flashlights. No one I have ever personally met likes flashlights, some of my friends even secretly think I'm a dumba** for spending so much money on lights(quite honestly, I can't blame them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). I just have an addiction. It's not that I don't love all of my lights, I do. It would take A LOT before I gave away anything short of a Mag.

To get to the point, It is completely unlogical for me to want these beautiful pieces of equipment in the position in my life that I am in......but I do, and I can't explain it. I'm even considering spending $1800 on a Maxabeam!! That is just rediculous for me to do that when I'm gonna need money for a car in a couple years.!!!! Geeeze(PLEASE!!!!Someone stop me now!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif)