Flashlight for life - Gladius?

elewton

Newly Enlightened
I hope this isn't out of order; I'm quite new to the world of flashligts.

I'm looking for a good one and, though a poorish college student, I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars (save up).

I love the strobe function, if it works. That should be fun for the ol' shneaking n' confusin'. Does anyone have a non-biased experience of it?

What I'm concerned about is that this is such a new technology. Will another, improved model come out a few months down the road?

wwglen

Enlightened
Quote:

Will another, improved model come out a few months down the road?

End Quote:

Yes.

Now you need to decide what you want. Bright with short run time, Long run time but dim, Small, Large, Ect.

one of the best deal is in the Lux III series. The Maglight mods you can fine here in BST should do pretty good if the form factor is pretty good.

wwglen

davidra

Enlightened
If you want a strobe function, for a lot less money than you mention, look at any of the Eternalights.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what "ol' shneaking n' confusin'" means
but I would be cautious about using the strobe in
situations where your life isn't in danger.

If the strobing gives someone a seizure they may well
sue you. And since having a photo induced seizure makes
it more likely they will have future seizures you may
lose big.

For a police officer it's a different story. If their
alternative action to using the strobe is shooting
the person they are less likely to lose a suit.

Greg (I am not a lawyer just a cautious person)

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
With all due respect, you might want to consider something a bit less expensive than a Gladius. $250 or so is a lot for a flashlight - especially if you are new to this and aren't completely sure this isn't just a passing fancy. There's a lot of good lights out there, for what purpose do you need a light?

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Just curious Mrbenchmark, why do you say that? jus asking cause i'm also a college student and i've been considering buying this light. Also, are there some other good light you would recconmend?

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
MrBenchmark.

Been monitoring your suggestions and comments. I most certainly agree this light is not for everybody in terms of function and price tag that goes along with that function.

The only thing I would push back on is the idea that this is going to be a passing fancy.

There was an overwhelmingly positive response for this light when users acutally handled it and brought it into our dark room for evaulation.

Personal opinion, this will change quite a few things in the tactial flashlight industry and have a trickle down effect in other applications.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ken J. Good said:

The only thing I would push back on is the idea that this is going to be a passing fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ken,

Hey, I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I didn't mean that the Gladius might be a passing fancy, nor that it isn't worth your asking price. By all accounts I've read, it looks to be an amazing piece of equipment - lots of really cool tech. in your light, no doubt about it. Lot's of functionality / $. (I'm very impressed with the thermal monitoring of the LED, for instance.) It's an innovative design, and I'm sure it will shake things up and give folks at other companies some sleepless nights! I definitely meant no disrespect to the Gladius - it looks to be absolutely fantastic! I'm tempted by it - that's for sure.

I meant perhaps the original poster's interest in lights might be temporary, and he might, as a self-described "poorish college student", want to start with some less pricey lights just to be sure he's really into this. A Gladius is a big investment for a first high-end light. Not a bad one - by no means do I mean that! It was probably silly of me to suggest that, but there was just something about his post that suggested he wasn't totally serious about all this. (I don't know why - it just struck me that way.) FWIW, I'd have said the same thing about other, similarly priced lights from other makers. It was more about his situation - nothing against y'all! (Poverty + high-end lights isn't neccessarily a great equation, that's all.) Anyway, I think I should have kept my mouth shut!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
"Flashlight for life?"

For those who want the latest and greatest, no. The SSL (solid state lighting) is still in its infancy and many of us are riding the wave out of interest and facination and some as a means of putting bread on the table while staying in the fun!

However, The Gladius as well as many other well made LED lights likely will be available for service for a really long time! Unlike the computer industry or other electronic devices that keep needing to be upgraded due to faster speeds, more information to process and what have you, ones need for illumination will not change over time. There will be brighter and more efficient illumination tools but the older ones still provide the same value and service that they did initially. An original Arc LS second with mismatched anodizing and pea green beam is still a dang fine illumination tool and does what it was designed to do!

The utility available from the Gladius today will not change tomorrow. Although you can get a brighter light tomorrow, it won't be darker tomorrow thus requiring a brighter light for the same relative performance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Go for it. I would buy a Gladius except that my SF M4 is still in great working order. If I mangle or "misplace" the M4, the Glad' would be my first choice.

OTOH, if you are interested in a smaller high end light, consider one of the HDS offerings.

One nice point about the smaller EDC's is that it is easy to keep them with you when out and about.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don ... I really hate it when you do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Please don't try to reset my perceptioon of what I need and want to a reasonable level ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,
No worries! You are on the wave and will continue to be part of this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif You are doing your part to support a new fledgling industry and mankind salutes you! I on the other hand, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Have you decided on which color Gladius you will be getting? I want "yum yum" yellow but it doesn't seem to be available yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ah ... I am more a white guy ... so clean and classy in combination with the black switch and silver reflector ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
I'd like it to be called "Arctic Glare" ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
And I am only partly joking ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

On another note ... elewton, welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !
Beginning with the high end lights from the start will leave you with nothing better to strafe for and will rob you of the pleasure of slowly discovering the light-world and climbing to the top ...

bernhard

elewton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your advice.

I have decided to buy a cheaper flashlight; one on which to make my mistakes.

When I know more, then I can buy the Gladius. Black, naturally. To go with all my other black gear.

Especially important in this decision was the fact that I can't just use the strobe effect for fun on my friends.

Thanks again guys,
Eric

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thanks everyone

i hate it when don make's perfect sense! He has such a good point, I got a HDS coming, and by all report's it's better then a ARC, but my LSH-P will alway's get use. I imagine once i order the aleph head i want, (haven't made up my mind on which)my SF bodies and head will still get use too. VDG