DSL / Cable.....Which one???

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

here is one of the most contraversial questions that I know of:

Which is faster, Verizon DSL or Comcast Cable?

I know that everybody has different opinions but I want to try to get a clearer picture. I personally have had both Comcast and Verizon. My choice is simple. DSL. So many people keep telling me that cable is faster but I have used and experienced a lot with both providors and 90% DSL is much faster. It's to the point that when I go to my friends house (he has Comcast), I end up complaining about how much slower it is.

What do you think?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have neither. My local cable company has a small monopoly going on here so you either get them, or Sprint DSL. I have had both. I loved the cablenet until the company was bought out. It has since become crap. We now have a capped bandwidth (ON CABLENET!), slow ping times/responce times, and crappy upload speeds that are capped too. Its still faster than the DSL thats available but it sucks too. I prefer cablenet over DSL so thats what I would go with. Do an actual speed test on both. www.bandwidthplace.com has a good test. Just know you only get 3 test permonth on each computer for free. Then find out how much they are paying for that service. They may be paying a lot more for that extra speed on DSL.

Cameron

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends entirely on the infrastructure in your area. Cable CAN be faster than DSL because DSL gets throttled down in a hurry if the lines are bad or if you're far away from the CO. But both DSL and Cable can be limited by the company as part of a discount setup, or to try to make you buy a "professional" connection.

DSL usually has much slower upstream bandwidths, but again, that is usually setup by the local plant folks or by corporate policy rather than a limitation in the actual hardware.

So if you're phone lines are good and you're close to the CO, DSL can run fine. Cable seems to work better further away from the node and at least initially the phone company was more stingy with their bandwidth than the cable folks and throttled you down more.

What it comes down to is what works best in your particular house. If your DSL line is working and you're happy with the speed there is no reason to go through the trouble of switching (unless you were to get a killer price offer from the cable company or something)

I've used both. In my experience this DSL modem is nowhere near as reliable a connection as my old cable modem. But that was in 2 different cities so it's not directly comparable.

If you have a choice between the 2 and one company is giving you the run around on service or support issues then switch to the other. But then, we're choosing between the cable company and the telephone company for telephone support? That is hilarious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There also seems to be a bug, either in my modem's firmware or somewhere upstream of me that looses larger upstream packets or screws them up or something. So my downloading is flawless, but when connecting to my house from else where I often get hung connections. for this reason I'm going to give the cable company a try out here when they finish running their new wires that they are working on now.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We are going into our new house in the country with 256K DL 128K UL DSL. For us the choice was DSL or DTV, and DSL wins on price.

For considerably more money, we can buy a faster connection from the phone company.

What a racket!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. First of all- YMMV. Every different location in the country will be different.

2. There is more to it than speed. The speed with which you receive information is many times governed by the speed of the website you are connecting to- THEIR servers and THEIR internet connection and THEIR traffic. I prefer to look at the larger picture- do you get good service from your phone company? Do you get good service from your local cable company? How much does one cost vs. the other? Do you even want cable TV- if so once the cable is there and the account setup you can get a discount on the internet connection. Would you prefer satellite TV- if so then it might be easier to get DSL.

3. My experience- FWIW- we have cable TV and cable internet at home (cannot even get DSL at home). We have good service from the cable company, I don't recall any outage of either in the past couple of years. The downside is that our cable TV is relatively expensive and doesn't offer the channels that satellite TV does, not even if we upgrade to the most expensive cable package. IF we could get DSL I might dump cable and get DSL + satellite TV. At work we have SWB DSL. We pay for a relatively slow connection but they have told us that we are the only subscriber in our building so we actually get very high speed. It is amazing how many independent people try to sell phone and data service to small businesses. They come into our office and cannot believe the speed of our present internet connection. Our service with DSL is such that every few months we are without internet connection for half a day or so.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had DSL, but I've been pleased with my CrapCast cable connection. I'm in Fl.

Speed
4 megabits per second

Communications 4 megabits per second
Storage 482.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.1 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Peter

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Everybody is getting to technical for me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, I did believe it something to do with locations, but I didn't know that it governed things so much.

Well, if you live in Riverton NJ, get DSL I suppose. It's cheaper, and in this little town, a lot faster!!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
As others have said, it depends on your local companies and your location.

BOTTLENECKS:
The cable company shares bandwidth within the neigborhood, presenting a possible bottleneck.

The DSL shares bandwidth in the central office, presenting a possible bottleneck.

SPEED:
Both DSL and Cable will frequently have an artificial maximum upload or download speed.

RELIABILITY:
If your cable TV is crappy, expect the same with a cable modem. Cable companies seldom put in effective battery backup for short power outages, so a dowed power pole 2 miles away may cause your internet connectin to stop.

If you curse the sight of a phone company truck, don't expect a perfect DSL connection. The DSL is almost always handled by a different part of the company, so you might be suprised.

GENERAL:
There are so many things besides speed that go into a good network connection that you can't expect to evaluate it till you get it. Dropped packets, bad network peering arrangements and many other things can hide until you are committed.

I have DSL (Pac Bell), Cable (Comcast), Celular data (Verizon) and dial up (Earthlink) and none of them are perfect. My DSL went almost 2 years between problems until last week. My cable goes out for short blips (minutes) every few months, the last major one was also over a year ago.

So pick one, make sure there's a trial period and test it out. Once you find one that's acceptable DON'T check any others, as it will lead to "grass is greener" syndrome.

Daniel

jtice

Flashaholic
I dont know about your area but here, DSL SUX !!!!!!!
Drops connection allll the time, isnt that fast.

I think Cable is always better, for one, its on a better wire in most towns, though some towns now have fiber optic, and its basically all the same,

Also, some DSL services require alot of crap,,, like putting an adpator on EACH phone in the house, so they do not interfear with the computers signal. Big PITA i would think.

Cable is known for being connected 24/7, and mines done a great job of that.

also, here at least, DSL has all these stipulations, like bandwidth limits per month etc. Cable doesnt

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
No adapters on any of my phones. Mine is connected 24/7. Not a lot of extra crap. (what exactly do you mean? Like a modem?) No bandwidth limitations.

Services must be more expensive with different features in different areas.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah, we can't really tell you which one because it depends on the area.

Here I think Comcast is supreme. We've had it for at least 5 years (and wireless broadband for about 2 years before that. I've been very spoiled!) and it's probably been down a total of 45 hours in 5 years. That includes the 36 hours or so it was down when @Home became attbi, so about 9 hours of downtime other than that in 5 years.

We leave it connected 24/7/365 and since day one it's been on a SMC Barricade router.

DSL sucks here! We don't have it, but the company I work for (MSN) puts alerts up for when the DSL is out, and I see Utah on the list all the time.

Unfortunately, as has been stated, cable speeds vary. I'm at the slowest right now, about 1 Mbps, it goes right up to 3.5 mbps capped.

jtice

Flashaholic
here you HAVE to put some sort of filter on each line,,, and sometimes have a new/better phone line ran from the pole to your house.

im actually surprised to hear some good comments on dsl here...
though your location is probably different.
noone here likes it though

idleprocess

Flashaholic
DSL
DSL has lower overall bandwidth than cable, hands down. The highest I've seen it advertised is in the 6Mbit region, and you pretty much need to live less than a wire mile from the CO. The upside with DSL is that in a properly provisioned network, bandwidth contention won't be a big deal. In a poorly provisioned network, the carrier will use a cheesy DSLAM with 100-1000 DSL lines sharing a single DS1.

With DSL, you do get your own line with its own line card (usually) in the CO. Your traffic generally cannot be seen by other subscribers.

DSL performance varies greatly. The speeds initially available to you depend on how close you are to the CO in "wire miles," not easily measured by drawing a radius from the CO to you. DSL is also noisy - it can interfere with neighboring lines in its wire bundle and is itself prone to interference. The dynamic nature of copper wires in the ground or on a line is another variable - they expand and sheink with the temperature and are sensitive to the many ways of splicing them. A copper line is typically spliced multiple places and many of the passive devices placed on the line to optimize voice performance hinder DSL performance.

Ever notice how reliable that dial tone is? Keep in mind that telcos are the force behind DSL, and your DSL signal runs over and through facilities that they own. The DSL outages I've had have been short, and usually related to my own equipment (doh!).

Cable
Cable has greater bandwidth than DSL, but it's a broadcast network somewhat like an ethernet hub. Some providers will quote 12-15Mbit, but that bandwidth is shared with everyone on the same segment, node, local loop, whatnot. You might be lucky and have only a handful of data subscribers on your segment, or unlucky with 90% of the customers also having data. That neighbor of yours that streams dumb video clips all the time like PC "multimedia" is still something amazing of itself is partially responsible for your sub-modem speeds on "superfast" cable.

With cable, you get a shared line. All your data is (potentially) seen by all other subscribers. I don't know if DOCSIS or other cable systems provide for encryption of all data on the network, but another subscriber could tweak his modem to capture all packets of interest.

Cable performance seems to be more steady than DSL performance. It uses a decent-quality coaxial cable that is shielded from interference. The coaxial medium has greater bandwidth than unshielded twisted-pair copper.

Cable reliability is a crap shoot. I've had a few lengthy outages (1-4 days) caused by the cable company and they didn't seem to care. From what I've gathered, the outages were in their distribution or core layers - more concerning than outages in the access network since it involved routers and other things that should be more reliable if operated properly.

Fiber (also shamelessly plugging my employer)
Fiber has greater bandwidth than cable or DSL. There have been a number of fiber rollouts in the country - most of them have been small-scale experiments using proprietary equipment. Unlike cable and DSL, the bandwidth in fiber can be affordably increased simply by upgrading the active equipment at either end of the line.

Verizon's rollout of fiber to the premises (FTTP) is based on standards developed and published by three of the large local carriers. Thus far, only Verizon has begun a network rollout based on these standards.

With fiber, there is typically an active component in the CO that has line cards - each of which connects a number of subscribers (generally under 50). The fiber is then brought to a hub in the neighborhood where the fiber is split. From there it runs to each individual subscriber's premises to a fiber terminal. At the fiber terminal, optical:electrical conversions are done and familiar connectors for voice, data, and video are present. For data, there's a 100Mbit ethernet jack that's typically wired to a jack in the house that a router connects to.

The fiber line is shared, but the individual data speeds sold on the network are nowhere near the total speed present in the line. If all subscribers bought the maximum speed, the subscriber bandwidth:line bandwidth would be around 1.5:1 - nothing like how cable is oversold. The bandwidth provisioning in FTTP is more like how a business network than a consumer network. VZ's fiber network is a possive optical network (PON). All data on the network is encrypted. In theory, someone might be able to sniff all the data his optical terminal sees, but the optical terminal is telco property and bolted to the side of his house. Control of the terminal is out of band and must come from the optical side. Hacking a fiber terminal would be a tremendous challenge alone were it not for the fact that network ops is constantly monitoring the fiber network, and that the fiber terminals won't work if tampered with.

Fiber is immune to almost all of the environmental factors that effect DSL and cable service (with the exception of "digger fade" caused by fiber-seeking backhoes).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think all my neighbors are on the same cable setup. Certain times of the day, like now, it is amazingly slow. I believe my old PeoplePC dialup was faster.

Geoff

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Verizon FIOS thing. Don't know much about it, but it says it is is 14 MB per second.

Thanks for all the information idleprocess!!!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
Fiber is immune to almost all of the environmental factors that effect DSL and cable service (with the exception of "digger fade" caused by fiber-seeking backhoes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, backhoe fade... I know it well. All three topologies (Telco DSL, Cable and Fiber/PON) are susceptible to it.

The incumbent telco in my area still has pockets of some cities that aren't serviceable by DSL. They're trying to squeeze every last penny out of their old copper plant for POTS service.

I'm partial to cable. At the end of the day, i's still the most bandwidth per buck, and it makes multi-megabit download speeds affordable to the masses.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Oh yeah... the plug.

Not available in all areas, and where it is available, it can take 1-2 weeks to install due to the huge demand.

Coming soon... video.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my experience in several towns, here is what I've seen.
DSL Internet:
Pro: Avalible where some cable isnt.
Cons: Very expensive $50+other fees/month, slow 128kbit/s . Costs more to get 512kbit/s connection $70/month

Cable Internet:
Pros: fast (3megabit/s), price is $40/mth, you get cable (no way for them to block it, you can argue saying you don't want cable just internet, and they might only charge you for interent, but you'll still get tv). They have cheap digital cable /internet packages for ~$50 or 60, which is cheaper than what my parents pay for just basic cable!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif
Cons: not avalible everywhere. Other smaller companys might be slower.

Oh yeah, get a good modem. I had an RCA they gave me, POS. Never would hold a connection. I got a motorola one, never has gone down once. Rock SOLID! connects uber fast when powered off/on. Draws less power, doesn't whine, dones't get hot.