Tried a new mod - viola! - the M6D-P90 is born

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I installed a Surefire P90 bulb into my old M@g 6D. It works quite well and was easy. However, I don't know the longer term implications of this mod. I assumed that 6D's = 9 volts and the P90 is 9 volts. Is this a viable stable mod that has been tried before? How much run time would I expect out of this setup?

wquiles

Flashaholic

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will handle the 6 D cells with no problem, there is significant resistance in these cells as well as 123's and they are not actually delivering a full, true 9 volts either.

Bill

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. it's a "good news" reply!
I was hoping that this mod would work without the risk of flashing the bulb. It really makes the 6D a useful bright tool.
I do not have a formal electronics background so I am at a loss with some issues. Is there a way that you know of to calculate/determine how long the runtime would be with the six D cells? I would assume that they should have way more capacity than three CR123 cells, but you know what they say about "assuming" things!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the manufacturers site and download the file on this particular cell.

It should give you a MaH rating.

My guess is that you can run the P90 for 3-5 hours on D cells.

Bill

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Runtime will depend on how much current the P90 nominally draws and how the cells perform under that load.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Right, but we know the numbers for the P90, just not which cells he is using.
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I am using 6 Alkaline Duracell D cells.

mdocod

Flashaholic
the P90 draws ~1.2 amps... anything over 1 amp will really kill some of the potencial of alkaline capacity... (this is probably why maglight is using bulbs that draw under an amp in all their alky lights)...

I would estimate over 5 hours of good output though... with many hours thereafter of deminishing light..