New vs. Old Streamlight TL lights

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen mention on here of the "old" style Streamlight TL-2 and the "new" style Streamlight TL-2.

What's the difference?
Is it worth getting?

Is there a "new" style TL-3?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NEW TL-2 LED is in the top group of 6V lights for throw. The OLD TL-2 is much lower down. I bought a Pelican M6 LED, which is known for having good throw, then later I bought a used TL-2 LED and was a little disappointed in its throw when compared to the Pelican. Reportedly the new TL-2 is better than the Pelican. Brightguy.com may still have both the old and new models for sale- you can go there and see the differences in appearance between the 2 models.

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of the TL2-LED.
I carried the old style for a long time as my EDC, until I started to carry my ARC LS.

I ordered one of the NEW ones and found it quite a bit brighter and much better throw than the old one.

The DRAWBACK to the new one is it's size. It is longer and the head is much bigger around than the old one.

The head is much bigger to incorporate a different style LS.
Also, I'm sure for heat sinking purposes

I just bought a couple more old models from Brightguy.
They have them on clearance for only 42.00. A real buy if you ask me.

I still prefer the old model simply because of the size.
If you carry it clipped to the inside of your pocket, the old model is much more comfortable. If you carry it in a belt pouch, it probably won't matter.

Either one you buy, you can't go wrong at the price!

Dave

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the new version TL-2 LED that I've done a side-by-side comparison with the original version TL-2, a Pel M6 LED, and earlier this evening compared it to an Inova T3. The new version TL-2 EASILY out-throws the original version and the hotspot and sidespill are both noticably brighter. It out-throws the Pel M6 LED as well; not by as wide a margin as the original TL-2, but by a noticable amount none-the-less. Sidespill brightness between the new TL-2 and Pel M6 LED are pretty close, but the hotspot brightness nod definitely goes to the TL-2. When compared to the Inova T3, the throw is pretty close...in fact, too close to give a nod either way. But in just "how much" of an area the two light up at a distance of 200 feet, the T3 wins hands down. This was a pretty unfair comparison since it was a LuxI (TL-2) against a LuxIII (T3). I only did the comparison for throw purposes...

The main reason for the increase in head size of the new TL-2 is because it has a much deeper reflector than the original version. They both use a HD LuxI. The regulation circuitry used in the new version accounts for very little of the larger head.

All in all, I think the new version TL-2 LED is well worth plunking down some of your hard-earned $$ on!

PJD

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's almost a shame because the size of the original version is really good.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
The size of the new TL-2 isn't all THAT bad. It's only 5.25" long...it may be a bit too big to be an EDC, but on the other hand it wasn't MEANT to be an EDC. IMHO, it's just about the perfect size to be a great utility light. I HAVE EDCed it from time to time...the long clip makes it stay in your pocket quite well. I do however only EDC it when I'm wearing a sweatshirt or something that covers the top of my front pockets. What it lacks in "diminutive" size, it more than makes up for in performance.

PJD

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the photos on flashlightreviews.com to compare the old and new. It is hard to tell but it appears that the light only got 1/2" or so longer and I can't tell that the bezel got any bigger in diameter.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought of something else-

MY "first generation" TL-2 measures 4 3/4" long and the bezel measures 1 1/4" in diameter. Could someone take similar measurements of their TL-2 second generation and post them.