Bug Out 3W Drop in or KL-3 for a G2?

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Ok, here is the question, let's say I would like to make one of my G2s an LED light for fun (and playing with while camping). What would be the best way about it? I could either go with the 3W Drop in from bug out gear at $40 (plus $7 for a "water white" lens) or I could get a stock Surefire KL-3 head for around $62 (possibly cheaper on ebay). Anybody out there with experience using both? Anybody who uses one or the other on a G2 and want to share their feelings, experiences?

I have read that Chop does a great mod on the KL-3, however, I think this is for an extra ninety bucks or so after I supply the sixty dollar KL-3 head and if I was going to do that I would just have Chop work on an Aleph for me (one day when I have the money . . . ). Anyway, any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
rgc

Luna

Enlightened
If you don't go the dropin route, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just pick up a new light?

wquiles

Flashaholic
I would go for the 3W drop light. I have one and it is GREAT. Plus you will be able to re-use this light on other "donor" bodies (my 3W module runs on a Brinkmann Maxfire).

Will

Phil_B

Enlightened
I have both but the drop in is the best by far. Add a FM34 beamshaper and you have a very bright and versatile light. A nice clickie is a good asset too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3W in my G2 and it has pretty good throw and light output. You can also use Pila 168S batteries (with a slight loss of output). I like this light. Lots of runtime makes this a nice camping light.

Jeff

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Last week I got the 3W drop in for my G2 and this is fast becoming one of my favorite production lights....nice white beam, I also pulled out the clickie switch from a Garrity 2AA Aluminum light and installed it in the tail cap. ( I think this was first posted by Chop ) I think this set up would make a great camping light for you...put the clickie in too.

Speaking of Chop, yes he does EXCELLENT work...I just got my KL1 Gen3 back from him...he replaced the LED with a TX1J and a McR20 reflector, I can't begin to tell you the difference...all I can say is WOW!!!! The other day I dropped the light from waist high on my wooden porch and it landed on the bezel.... bounced back up then rolled around, my heart sunk. I picked up the light and it turned right on like it never happened. It still has its perfect beam and is nice and bright on its BE3 body.

You won't go wrong either way A 3W Drop In or KL-3 modded by Chop....both great products.

Aloha

Geologist

Enlightened
I can say that the drop-in module from BUGOUTUSA is simply awesome! I had to do a bit of filing on the underside to make it fit the G2, but other than that, bright and white light.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
The Bugout Lux III drop is rocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I have mine in a G2 and it is one of my favorite lights. For $40 you can't go wrong. And like wquiles said, you can use it in other flashlights as well, Any P-60 compatible body. Get one and try it yourself, I promise you, you wont be disappointed.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
You guys win! It looks like I need to get the drop in from Bug Out Gear. I do like the looks of the KL-3 and would love to have one Mod'ed by Chop (especially after reading some of the posts about his mod'ed KL-3s). However, if I had the $130 or so bucks to do a Chop KL-3, Chop would be doing an Aleph III with a light engine running at about 1A on a 2X123 body for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the help guys,
rgc

C

CountyComm

Well I have sold a lot of lights over the years
But I have to again say how much I like my G2Z with the 3 watt drop in module ....It kicks some real bootie.....Again thanks Flavio for this great product....I will order two more this week...NICK COUNTY COMM

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
We should have them back in stock shortly. Just keep checking out site or the dealer section. You can always pre-order them as well from our site. You will not be charged until they arrive and are shipped.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

wquiles

Flashaholic
Definitely worth waiting for. I can personally atest to Flavio's great customer support and communication with these 3W modules /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

mateen

Enlightened
Wait for the 3W drop-in. Great service, low cost, easy install, and a perfect LED beam for my G2 - can't beat that!

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Ok you guys with the Drop In 3Ws in your G2s, did you replace the factory G2 lens or leave it stock with the hotter burning LED?

Thanks again,
rgc

mateen

Enlightened
Well, I don't think that the LED burns 'hotter' than the P60, but I did replace the lens. I put in a UCL lens for the better transmissive properties rather than for the thermal properties. And there is a bit of difference, plus it doesn't get scratched up so easily.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ob1 said:
what size ucl does the g2 take?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it by this that you did not replace your factory lens?