guilty of it's own success? something must change

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
guilty of it\'s own success? something must change

hasn't been much fun trying to access the forums for quite some time. Another thread asks bandwidth speeds, ha ha ha ha ha, doesn't matter here. So, what to do. I for one am willing to pay an annual membership fee,and if everyone who wants to be here did the same, either less people, less bandwith,or the money to come up with something really nice. There are something like 10,000 people here, mayber 8,000 or so active? So what happens if everyone(even 5,000) pays a $10 a year which would allow cpf to go first rate. Instead of paying $6300 yearly server fees, cpf could get the best and be done with this almost(no totally) unusably slow access rates.
I believe that it is time for a decision on this. CPF ISN'T WORKING NOW, the true spirit of the cpf is going down with it's lack of accessability, right Britt? If ya can't pay $10 a year to be here, eventually nobody will be here. I try to open up threads, go to another site and combeback when I think I might have some luck, that is not fun and will eventually kill the cpf off, time to fish or cut bait.
But that's just my opinion and I'm entitled to it>

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: guilty of it\'s own success? something must cha

I for one am more than willing to pay more than 10.00 USD per year for this forum. I think that would be a great Idea.

*edit* just to show support just donated to the keeping the light on fund

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: guilty of it\'s own success? something must change

I'd happily pay $10, but the problem is with flawed software as I understand it. I think we need a clean break and a fresh start with different software. Endless patches, asking the members to modify how they use the site, splitting threads into parts, etc. doesn't seem to be adressing the core problem.

I know it's going to be a big undertaking, but I think different software in inevitable if CPF is ever really going to get "fixed".

Peter

raggie33

*the raggedier*

id also pay 10 bucks per year. see that would be 10 X 5000 memebers thats 50k per year..

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'd pay $10.00 a year, and I'm definitely *not* swimming in money here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be willing to pay $10 a year. Heck, I'd pay $50 if I had to. But, I'd have to find somewhere to send a MO.

Speaking of which, I would like to donate to CPF. I sent you a PM Sasha but I guess you're to busy. What address should I send it to?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

sadly i coulnt aford 50 but 10 i can

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, Raggs, that was if truly HAD to in a LIFE/DEATH situation (I really couldn't afford 50 either without some serious persuasion). I'd certainly prefer not to pay $50 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Glenn

Enlightened

I would pay an annual fee of $10-$20 if necessary but, it has not been really bad for me......YET.
Somewhat slow in opening threads but other than that...OK.

Glenn

Greta

Flashaholic

Money isn't the issue. We've been over that before.

jtice

Flashaholic

I would be willing to pay $10 a year, BUT....

I think that if its made manditory, we will looose alot of ppl here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also, Im not sure $ is the problem, we get a good bit of raffles, etc, and I heard that we basically have our own server.
The server itself doesnt have to be a powerhouse in the first place, it seems more of a problem with the servers ISP, and maybe the software getting "clogged" up.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

If money isn't the issue, what is the issue, a one line sentence would suffice. There are a lot of bright people here and I'm sure some type of solution could be devised. Out of the box thinking maybe. I do a lot of searches here but I'm not going to tackle that one.

Greta

Flashaholic

The software is the problem. And yes, it has already been discussed ad nauseum. Read the Announcement forum.

Yes, something must change. And it's going to. I'm sick of the whining. I'm sick of the bitching. I'm sick of having to constantly deal with this issue. Some may not like my decision... I'm sure I'll deal with even more bitching and moaning once I make the changes. But at this point I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. So yes... changes will be coming... as soon as I can possibly "make it so". I've already contacted the server dudes and I am standing by for a reply.

paulr

Flashaholic

Sasha, I hope fixing the software won't result in anyone bitching and moaning... here is a radical solution that shouldn't even be all that much work:

1) permenantly shut down all posting to the current CPF. Keep it running, but completely read-only.

2) Start a new forum with different (better) software at candlepowerforums.com. Move the old (now read-only) forum to a new url, like candlepowerforums.com/archive.

The archive forum would still use a little bit of CPU resources, but not that much, since it would have relatively low activity level. The collective wisdom of the existing millions of posts would be preserved (posts in the new forum could have links pointing to threads in the old forum). There wouldn't be a huge technical migration needed to move posts from one forum to another.

Of course there may be better solutions but the above shows that even a drastic solution can keep things good for users and not be a huge amount of admin work.

The one thing that would make me ***** and moan would be the existing body of old posts becoming inaccessible, so I hope that won't happen.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sasha,
I don't mind change, heck I'm still in marriage training and it's been almost 10 years! So I can deal with change as long as it doesn't start with: "Doug shut up"....lol

If it's software and less is better posts I can deal with it, as much as I hear things downstairs, I don't listen!! you are our leader sasha and I support you.. (some people can't handle someone else in charge and they're NOT.)

Doug

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Yeah, I'm down for the new software too - we're all standin' witcha Sosh-y...

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind change, heck I'm still in marriage training and it's been almost 10 years!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of funny you posted that, Doug... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... Today is my 23rd Anniversary. My husband and I had planned on taking my new Beretta out today and finally putting some rounds through it. Pitiful that I've had it for 3 weeks now and haven't put one single round through it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Anyway... we've been planning all week on going out today. But as you know... changes happen... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Spring Break is in full swing right now here... and my husband didn't get home from work until 3AM this morning. And even though today is his day off... he had to go back in at 11AM this morning. We're hoping to maybe meet up at McDonald's or something for a special anniversary dinner later this evening.

Yeah... change can often turn out not to be your preference... but sometimes the big picture is what matters. If I get to have dinner out with my husband today... anywhere!... I'll be happy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for your suggestion paul.. no, that's not what I'm shooting for. It wouldn't work. I have other plans.

watt4

Enlightened
Happy Anniversary !

Happy Anniversary! Celebrate it when you can, and make time to shoot that Beretta. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

btw, CPF has been running well for me since that server upgrade a couple months ago.