Lightsabers at Best Buy

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Don't know if this belongs in the LED or EL forum, but mods, feel free to move the thread where it belongs.

As you all know by now Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith comes out on the 19th of May and as always, the merchandising of movie paraphernalia is in full force. As a kid, I was a big Star Wars fan and had one of those telescoping plastic lightsaber toys as did a lot of kids back in the late 70's early 80's. Nowadays, you can find the same plastic telescoping toy lightsabers except they're outfitted with electronic sounds and lights. Cool for kids, but what about those adult....Okay, I'll say it. "geeks" who like all sorts of electronic gadgets, flashlights and stuff? Well, I was at Best Buy over the weekend and came home with a Force FX Lightsaber Collectible. Produced by Master Replicas, these are faithful reproductions with chrome plated aluminum bodies that look and feel like the movie props. They come with permanently attached polycarbonate blades that ignite with realistic power-up, and power-down lights effects and sound effects digitally recorded from the fims along with a display stand. Retail price at Best Buy was $119.00, but it was too cool to pass up.
Okay, now for pics:

(The yellow stickers are removable)
DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

The blade lights up very brightly with the use of LEDs which are encased in a durable polycarbonate shell that protects them from damage. Although resonably durable, these lightsabers aren't made for dueling so if you have any kids, you may not want them to swing away with it. Pretty cool collectible though it would be nice if the polycarbonate blades were removable like these http://www.buystarwarsstuff.com/lightsabers.shtml. Incidentally, the only ones available at Best Buy are the Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader sabers.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!
I plan on getting one of these cheaper (but still not cheap enough) plastic ones and mod it with a cree led and some glowpowder...
Hope I'll have time to finish it before the movie comes out.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I like the deep blue glow.

KongfuChicken: you could use a Royal Blue luxeon or Royal Blue Cree. Or green. Or red.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Here are some more pics. It's still pretty bright even with the lights on:

DSCN0846.jpg

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0848.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is extremely bright for EL!
You could also use Royal Blue and any color glow powder as it would be charged very brightly by RB!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have an unmodded Speed Graphic flashgun that is the basis for the Darth Vader Lightsaber. The synch cord sockets just have colored wires jammed in them in the movie prop. A few years back some dude on the internet was buying these flashguns for up to $100, modding them up without electronics and selling them for $200-300. The Obi-Wan prop was an aluminum tube with a showerhead attached.

A Paramount prop master came to town for our local Sci-Fi convention with some movie toys. It was a real gas to see how they cobble bits of junk together to make those wonderful toys.

Sit vis vobiscum.

watt4

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic Superchunk said:
with realistic power-up, and power-down .....sound effects

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to smile a bit at the "realistic" characterization. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was in a borders bookstore a couple weeks ago, and heard "lightsabre" noise. it was someone testing one of these out, near the checkout stand (of course, for impulse buyers). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the one in your pics looks better than what I remembered, though.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
cough, cough,<font color="blue">geeeeeeeeeek </font> , cough, cough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Okay, I admit it. I want one too.

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
Damn well I know where I'm gonna go on my lunch break tomorrow, and probably get asked to act like an adult when I pick it up and go "Star Wars Kid" with it.

Thomas

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Doh! Leaning the light sabar against the wooden door is a fire hazard!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Now I only wish they will come out with the same thing here soon...gotta check out the Toy R' Us soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Best Buy carries them, but I believe you can also order them online at Walmart.com and Target.com. You may also find them for a few dollars cheaper if you shop around. If you want to invest on some different custom-looking sabers check out Parks Sabers.They're on the pricey side, but they appeal to the kid on all of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DBrier

Enlightened
I wonder what the lifespan on one of these is? It would look great if you hooked up a power supply and had it lit all the time hanging on the wall.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
If it's EL, it'll go a year or two and then just die, IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an EL lamp. The Master Replica sabers use LEDs. Now, the ones by Parks Sabers use removable EL lamps.