Streamlight 3C LED: beam width

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy the most powerful LED flood light under 9.3 inches long--the length of my car's center console. It can use AAs, Cs, or Ds. Maximum width: 2.2 inches.

Streamlight makes a 3C LED model. Can anyone tell me how its beam width compares to other lights? I'm looking for decent spill or a true flood so I can see a lot under the car hood.

Could I achieve what I want by taking a bright flashlight that is not known for a wide flood--for example, the Ekektrolumens Hyper Blaster 1R (2D)--and replacing its reflector (if it has one) or placing some cellophane tape between the lamp and the lens?

Any other suggested lights? Other candidates are the 3AA Gerber TX 3.0, 2AA Streamlight Luxeon Jr., and (if I could find one) Elektrolumens XM-3.

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Paul, I have been looking at the SL TT 3c too.It would be nice to here from those who have one.It looks like it would be a good light for a power outage when good run time is needed.

Paul,I don't know if you are asking about the TT or just the 3c led,Sorry for any confussion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
A multiple LED light such as the Streamlight 3C LED is the best choice for working close up in a tight area like an engine compartment. The flood light gives a wide, even illumination with no real hotspot to bounce back and overwhelm the side light. The central area is brighter, but not unreasonably so. A single-Luxeon light such as the Luxeon Jr. or Gerber TX 3.0 wouldn't be nearly as good.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
W4DIZ said:
Paul, I have been looking at the SL TT 3c too.It would be nice to here from those who have one.It looks like it would be a good light for a power outage when good run time is needed.

Paul,I don't know if you are asking about the TT or just the 3c led,Sorry for any confussion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

W4DIZ.....I have both lights and find them both to be excellent. For working under the hood of a car the 3C LED would be the better choice.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did mean the Propolymer 3C LED, not the Twin Task. I just checked Brightguy, where I find that the Propolymer LED has 42 lumens, the Twin Task 3C (in LED mode), I think it said 26. So I guess the Propolymer wins; too bad because I prefer the Twin Task's thumb-ready switch!

nikon, all of your points are well-taken, too. I'm miffed that you've made my decision a hard one!

Currently my car light is a Costco 2AA Luxeon. Will the Propolymer 3C LED's beam be brighter? How would its usable beam width compare?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Lumen ratings quoted are a bit...well...ambitious, as are those given by most manufacturers. Putting that aside, the ProPoly is far brighter than the 6-LED mode of the TwinTask.

I don't own a Costco light, but I'm sure you'd find the Streamlight to be more useful for your application. The Costco beam has a small central hotspot and a much dimmer spill light. That's fine for most uses, but for working in a tight place like an engine compartment you want a wide, smooth beam for even illumination. A light with multiple small LED's will give you that.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would explain the milky-smooth broad, white flood of my Xnova 8LED and 12LED 2AAs. I'm looking a beam of that quality and size, only brighter.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a new Streamlight 3C Luxeon Star that is supposed to be coming out soon, and there is an existing 10 LED Streamlight 3C.

I too am waiting for the new 3C SL LS. 3C's should be a good combo of light to carry, small, yet long battery life.

Love the SL 4AA PP LS.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have the ProPoly 3C Led. I did not like the narrow incan beam so I replaced the plastic lens with a USL LDF lens from flashlightlens.com The ProPoly 3C Led lens is the same size as the Streamlight 20X and 30X lens, 55mm. The beam is perfect for close in work. I also replaced Alkaline C cells with NiMH C cells. There is some initial reduction of light output, but output is brighter with nimh's over time, as the rechargeable cells do not sag as much as alkalines.

Bill

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,
Please explain:

"I have the ProPoly 3C Led. I did not like the narrow incan beam/..."

It's an LED beam, not incandescent. And nikon says that the beam is nice and broad.

"so I replaced the plastic lens with a USL LDF lens from flashlightlens.com"

How does this help?

"The ProPoly 3C Led lens is the same size as the Streamlight 20X and 30X lens, 55mm. The beam is perfect for close in work."

Because it's nice and broad, nice and narrow, or what?

I didn't think the lens changes the refraction or scatter.

"I also replaced Alkaline C cells with NiMH C cells. There is some initial reduction of light output, but output is brighter with nimh's over time, as the rechargeable cells do not sag as much as alkalines."

My plan is even more radical: Use 3 lithium AA cells mounted in AA-to-C adapters.

Thanks.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I just visited the site and saw what you mean. You felt that the ProPolymer's stock LED beam was too "incandescentlike" so you replaced its lens with a glass USL lens that had a LDF (Light Diffusion Film) to turn a spot into a flood:

http://www.flashlightlens.com/products.htm

You used the largest size the site offers, 52.1mm?

If the diffusion lens can turn a great spot into a great flood, I'd love to try one on an Elektrolumens FT-3C scorcher! Does anyone know whether any of the LDF lens diameters would fit it?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still not sure what Bullzeyebill meant regarding "the narrow incan beam". The Propoly 3C Led's beam is nothing at all like an incan beam. Perhaps he was referring the the incan version of this light as opposed to the LED version.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OK guys, I was thinking SL 3C-XP, which I have, and had replaced lens with UCL LDF. I revisited SL web site to refresh my memory. Mine has one incan bulb and 3 leds. Paul's has multiple leds. I also have the AA version of Paul's light. Sorry about my confusion.

Bill

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Misunderstandings like this are bound to happen when a manufacturer makes so many models that use the same basic configuration. I see at Brightguy that there's also a second 3C xenon/LED hybrid, like the Twin Task but with a different feature set!