Suggestions for a small clipped light?

migo

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a light that's relatively small and has a clip. Big enough that I can get a good grip on it but not too big that it's bulky and/or uncomfortable in my pocket.

The Surefire E2 and Streamlight TL-2 both look good, the Surefire in shape the Streamlight in price. I'm not too sure what else there is out there which has the same features I'm looking for but I'm sure there is.

Any suggestions? Pros/cons etc. of any other flashlights as well as the ones I mentioned?

Thanks!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Relatively small and a clip. Hmmm. Well, boththe E2e and the TL2 are great.

Check out flashlightreviews.com for some good pictures and info on most of the popular lights out there.

Welcome to CPF, and hold on to your wallet! Soon you'll be thinking about how cheap that E2e was. .

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF migo, and why dontcha stay awhile!

How small is small? The E1e has a clip, runs on a single 123 and is bright, even better with and LED head instead of the incandescent. Of course, the E2e is my favorite SF light, and very compact. Don't forget the E2L outdoorsman, has the LED head and a loong clip.

Smaller? How about the Photon Freedom, really pocketable, multiple modes, and comes with a cool detachable clip you can mount to your hat or shirt.

welcome again,
daloosh

DimBeam

Enlightened
The TL-2 Xenon is on special at Bright Guy. Green version only for $30. That is less than one third the price of a E2. Both great lights but I have to admit I am partial to the E2 and carry it loose in my front pocket. The E2 has a truly outstanding beam.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
migo,

for even more brightness you might want to check the following threads (I don't know how to post a link yet):
"The P90 with 2 rechargables thread"
"Will a TL3 bulb fit in a TL2?"
"Possible rechargeable TL3 upgrade??"

(I guess you're past the PT Blast stage)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kees

migo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Check out flashlightreviews.com for some good pictures and info on most of the popular lights out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, yeah, I took a look through (not every light yet though), and I didn't see much with a pocket clip. I'm guessing from the responses so far that clips aren't too common?

[ QUOTE ]
How small is small? The E1e has a clip, runs on a single 123 and is bright, even better with and LED head instead of the incandescent. Of course, the E2e is my favorite SF light, and very compact. Don't forget the E2L outdoorsman, has the LED head and a loong clip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not too small. I think the E1E is in the too small category (by looks of it) I think I'd want to have a bit sticking out on both ends to make it easy to hold. I think I probably want to stick with Incandescent, I've got a led light for my bike and it doesn't illuminate inside street lamps at all (not that it matters a whole lot, but it doesn't make things any brighter) and I someone else mentioned that was a problem with LEDs. Thanks for the suggestion though.

[ QUOTE ]
Smaller? How about the Photon Freedom, really pocketable, multiple modes, and comes with a cool detachable clip you can mount to your hat or shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, how about bigger? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That does sound nifty though.

[ QUOTE ]
The TL-2 Xenon is on special at Bright Guy. Green version only for $30. That is less than one third the price of a E2. Both great lights but I have to admit I am partial to the E2 and carry it loose in my front pocket. The E2 has a truly outstanding beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, $30 is definitely good, especially for a first choice. If I find it doesn't work quite well it's still a good light and I'll have money left over to get a different one.

[ QUOTE ]
for even more brightness you might want to check the following threads (I don't know how to post a link yet):
"The P90 with 2 rechargables thread"
"Will a TL3 bulb fit in a TL2?"
"Possible rechargeable TL3 upgrade??"

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I do want to check those out, I'm guessing from the fact that you mentioned them that the answer is yes?

[ QUOTE ]
(I guess you're past the PT Blast stage)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe? What's the PT Blast stage?

migo

Newly Enlightened
Oh, can you tell me which forums those threads are in? I'm having trouble narrowing the search down to find them.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know about the clip, but you might check out the throw on the small, well-built SL Strion rechargeable (see: THROW chart on flashlghtreviews.com).

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
migo,

sorry to have kept you waiting (been on holiday).

For the threads you can page through the
- Incan pages for the first thread (started by cognitivefun)
- General Flashlight Discussion for the second two (started by KLM and myself respectively). Must find out how to post a link./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The Princeton Tec Blast is a small but relatively very bright 2xAAA Xenon light; almost keychain size, with a clip. I have one, which is always somewhere in my bag or coat pocket (sort of semi-EDC). It makes a very nice present as well. But the reason I think you might be past this stage is that its brightness is nowhere near a TL2 or Surefire.

Presently I'm ordering RCR123's , charger and SF 6P. I can't decide if I will put the P90 or the P91 in. Probably the latter for the most spectacular output and some 15 minutes runtime (hope the cells handle the current well; I hear some people use the batteryspace brand without problems)

The brightest I have so far is a Princeton Tec 40 on 4xNiMH and KPR 103(which is quite nice for such a cheap and waterproof setup), to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

I'm sure the P91 will be a great improvement. Mostly for my own fun, probably, because very few people over here are CPF material /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Kees

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
another thought if you want to go cheap in both lamp and batteries: buy the NEW PT Attitude (with clip). It has 3 LED's, but you can replace the LED-module with the Xenon module (which fits the PT Rage). This way you have far more brightness than the Blast, and a spare 3 led module in case the Xenon blows. More info at flashlightreviews.com.

Kees