Cracking the CMG Infinity head

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow explorers,
Anybody out there had any sucess in transplanting a new (More Powerful!!!!) LED into the old CMG Infinity. I'd like to replace the old, dim o.e.m. LED with one of Kevins 26K's but would seek professional guidance before jumping in.
Thanks ya'll! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember that robocop did a luxeon mod on the Infinity ultra. He was able to take out the guts somehow. You can try contacting him for tips.

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mags! That was a mod on the new style infinity (Gerber) but you gave me a lead to a mod Darkzero did on an old style infinity that answered all my questions, and some I didn't know I had! What a great forum we have here!
Here is the post....web page

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those threads don't seem to be quite clear on how to: 1) take off the crimp at the back of the bezel (file off? straighten with pliers?) and 2) how to crimp the pill back in place if the crimp was originally removed by filing. If you file the crimp off, isn't the bezel too short to be crimped again around a new pill?

Does anyone have specific advice which doesn't require a lathe?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have also done a lux mod using the older style Infinity and it was fairly easy. I used a Dorcy AA board and with a little file work it just fits and fits actually pretty well.
I used a small file to lightly file the crimped area holding the file at an angle so as to not touch the actual bottom of the board. The crimped section soon gets very thin and can be peeled off or just keep filing until you can see the edges of the board.
I could not find any way to re-crimp the doner board so I wrapped a thin layer of aluminum foil around the edge of the board and carefully pushed it into the bezel. It makes good contact and stays in place however can be removed later if needed.
Once the crimp is gone you can heat the head and push on the factory board from the LED side. I used the tip of a soldering iron until the bezel was just too hot to hold with my bare hands...a little pressure and the entire potted board just slid out nicely.
I can try to get a few pics later if you like however my mod was not nearly as nice as the ones in the links above. I can say it was simple and it works very well...nice and bright with good tint and looks factory from the outside.

Good Luck