G2 + (new)Kl3

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys,
I am interested in buying the new Kl3 and would like to put it on my G2. Because the Kl3 looks identicle to the Kl5, does anyone have an images of the KL5 on the G2? I would like to see how it looks.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif I really like the idea of a Kl3 with HUGE throw on the end of my Beautiful G2!

-tom

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes! Why? Don't get me wrong, Surefires' are the cats meow (I have 4), but why not get the 3W LED drop-in from BugOutGear?

Size15's

Flashaholic
From what I gather the KL3 is a bit shorter than the KL5 so these photos should give you a good impression of that the G2+KL3 will look like.

P210.jpg

P46.jpg

Al

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Accepting that we are all different the new KL3 would make a fine light whatever it's perched on but it does look very out of place on a G2?
I'm not a fan of mix and match Nitrolon and Aluminum as it never looks as if they complement each other. Also I would have thought that the KL3 will quite dramatically unbalance the feel of the light being too top heavy.

One of my 2 G2's now carries a BOG 3 watt lamp as does my G2z and these lights both seem to have been made for this module. Pity SF cant make a similar lamp replacement as I'm sure it would sell really well.

Doug

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Garageboy,

When you say you'r afraid of the heat can you explain? If you mean you think the LED will fry or have a reduced life then all I can say is that the module's heat sink does its job very well and I've run the light continuously with no apparent ill effects. I also know that the heat being produced by the LED is less than the P60 and the Nitrolon doesn't get as hot with the LED as it does with the P60.

I suppose the potential heatsinking of an aluminum 6P would offer a bit better heat dissipation but without concrete data (which I acknowledge I cant supply) it remains a theoretical advantage only.

Doug

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then it should be no prob. I REALLY like the old KL3 design, though.
SF could cut costs on the G2 AND improve it by...
threading the tail like the G2Z and using the G2Z bezel. Less molds and less use of lexan

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks pretty good. I have a C2 as well, but I want to plop a KL5 on that sucker...

I still have not seen or read what the output of the KL3 is officially! I'd like to see a side by side with a P60.

Phil_B

Enlightened
I didn't know SF had revamped the KL3, it looks good. Any specs on it? Is it the TIROS optic? Reflector? What's the runtime on 2/3 cells, same as the olde one?
I love the look of the old KL3 though,it reminds me of a "shovelhead" cylinder off my old scoot...

Size15's

Flashaholic
The term "TIROS" is what Inova use.

SureFire use the term "TIR Optic"

These optics use "Total Internal Reflection" and for the most part are "non-imaging optics"

SureFire have been in partnership with SAIC designing their own optics for quite some time (which is one of the reasons why they are smaller than other optics).
See here for how SureFire, SAIC & LumiLeds are leading this technology with DARPA funding.

The KL3 has a TIR optic that is unlike SureFire's current TIR optics (X200A, KL1/L1 etc).

I'm not sure what the output of the KL3 is but I've heard that the beam is impressive.

Al

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am REALLY looking forward to this one! I called Surefire up and they said that it would come out near the end of Summer. You have a more specific date "Size15's"??

-tom

pipman2

Newly Enlightened
O.k. I'm fairly new to the LED side of lights. I only have a E1L so far and have had my eye on the L4. I was just wondering what is the diffrence between the L4 and say the L5 or L6. I know the runtime is greater, but the lumen output seems to be the same for all three. Is it worth it to pay the extra $ to get the L5 or L6? Please enlighten me!

Thanks.