Pelican M6 LED vs new SureFire KL3 beam comparison

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This has been requested of me more than once, so here is the comparative photograph.

pm6vskl3.jpg

Pelican M6 3W LED on the left, new-style SureFire KL3 on the right.
Photograph was taken of the beams on a ceiling at a range of approximately 5 feet.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pelican M6 LED vs new SureFire KL3 beam compar

Wow, the PM6LED looks really good. The KL3 looks just as good though and its rated lower output? Kewl. How wide are the hotspots?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
DocArnie said:
To me it looks like the PM6 has more sidespill. Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]
The PM6 has more spill light, by far.

I can *try* to photograph the spill light comparison, but cannot guarantee success...BBS...

m6vskl32.jpg

Pelican M6 on the left, SureFire new-style KL3 on the right.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Both of them appear to have approximately the same throw; with perhaps a very, very, VERY slight edge going to the KL3.
This is at a range of less than 50 feet indoors though; the sun is out, so I can't try them in the yard just yet.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
consider that the kl3 will most likely cost around $80. Then add a 6p for $50. That is $130, as opposed to the M6 3W's $100.

-David

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was asked to do an outdoor photograph, but that will not be possible. There's a large RV parked in the back yard, and my camera's power cord will not reach far enough to get a clear shot behind the RV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I looked at your post title I saw "Surefire M6 LED" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I checked, and checked again (as my housemate says, "to be sure it's Westinghouse"), and the thread title reads "Pelican M6 LED vs new SureFire KL3 beam comparison".

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried my backup camera, and it works fine on batteries, but I don't know where its USB cord is, so I'd have no way of getting the outdoor comparion photograph from the camera to the computer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There is no blue tint at all; the beam has a fairly even coloration throughout.

Overall, the beam has a very, very, VERY slight cyan (blue-green) tinge to it, but that's really only evident when compared to a warmer-tinted flashlight using the same type of Luxeon LED.

dc

Newly Enlightened
Huh..looks like the KL3 have a slightly better throw than the Pelican..Anyway, both r definitely great thrower.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They seem to have even throw but different color temperatures.

-David