Why no small AA adjustable lights

JJohn

Enlightened
I have what may be a very basic question for all of you: Why doesn't someone or some company market a small adjustable output light that uses everyday ultra-available batteries like AAA's or AA's? The "Proton" seems like the only one I have ever heard of.

Is it the efficiency of Boost convertors? No market? Can't get the high output? What is it?

I love and use the Lionheart and HDS-EDC technology but, for carrying in a pocket, say when you go out for dinner, these are still too big (IMHO).

Why are the only small adjustable lights button-cell powered keychain lights or 123 based and 1" in diameter? There must be a reason. As the most popular everyday carry light seems to be the Arc AAA this doesn't add up to me. Please excuse me if this has been answered before.

John

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Newbie question on small adjustable lights

I would guess their are 2 reasons, first the battery, voltage and mili amps, not enough voltage to start up the LED, and not enough juice to drive it at a lower level for long either. The second reason would be the size, its hard to cram all the circuitry and LED AND battery into a small case. just my .02

JJohn

Enlightened

I think you are probably right but, I would guess the total energy of a AA, for example, would far exceed the two button cells found in an keychain light like the Photon Freedom.

John

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think AA batteries kick butt. and agree with Jjohn.
i still do not have any 123s because the operating costs were initially to high. to bad most of the best lights used these weird batteries.

i guess that is why i did mods, and will do it again. AAs are major cheap, have great juice, and are used all over the place.
lets see you stick an old 123 in the tv remote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif