Streamlight 2L3W or a Nuwai?

Kaos

Newly Enlightened
<font color="red"><DeLurk></font>

Hi all. Been lurking here and other places for a couple days now, trying to decide on a new flashlight. Upgrading from a 3D Maglite that is just way too darn heavy in my flight bag.

If I had a bunch of money to throw at it, I'd probably just pick up a SureFire A2, but alas, that level of funds is not available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 3 lights:

Streamlight 2L3W
Nuwai ALX-352
Nuwai TM-301X-3

According to flashlightreviews, the Streamlight has the longest throw of the three, while the Nuwai 5W has the most output. The Nuwai 3W (big brother of the Q3) has an attractive price.

I'm kind of leaning toward the Streamlight, but wanted to hopefully get some input from people that actually own some of these lights. Advantages/disadvantages? How is the low-level output quality on each of these? Flashlightreviews mentioned that the 3W version of the Nuwai 352 had a very noticeable strobe effect from the PWM reg, but the 5W was nice and steady. Any of this effect from the others?

I'm also open to suggestions on other lights. These are the ones that seemed to meet all my requirements. My criteria are:

Under $75, must have a low-light mode, 2xCR123 powered, reasonably small size, good output and reasonable battery life.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

-Kaos

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard. I do own both the lights you mention i.e. 2L3W and the ALX-352L and they are both fine lights. The low mode on the ALX-352L is quite bright. The low mode on 2L3W works out great if you need to do some close work e.g. read a map, light a path etc... The ALX-352L has a larger hotspot and throws out a lot of lumens as the review states. Both of the lights do function well on unprotected RCR123a's cells. In FlashlightReview.com it states that in low mode the 2L3W utilizes the PWM (strobe effect) to give the illusion that the low mode is indeed a low mode. Well, the only thing I can say to that statement is this, I just don't see it. There is no strobe, flickering or whatever in the low mode of my SL 2L3W, none whatsoever!

I use both the lights at work and they function well.

Again, welcome aboard...

Dave

Kaos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response!

Sounds to me like my leaning toward the 2L3W is indeed correct, as the low mode will be primarily used for dark-cockpit tasks where the maplights in the plane don't reach. Right now I carry a 3D mag for exterior stuff and a AA Minimag with a red lens for interior stuff. The regs changed a while back though, and we're no longer required to carry a minimum of a 2 D-cell flashlight, now any flashlight will suffice. So it's time to lose some weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although, I am gonna miss the free batteries from the chief pilots' office... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif hehe

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
First, welcome to CPF!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Have a read of this thread for a discussion of the lights.

Since then, I now have several Nuwai 352L's and several SL 2L3W's.

The Nuwai's appear to have consistent beam color and spread. However, the Streamlight 2L3W lights have variations in color (from pure white to light green), and in beam spread and throw!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

So Streamlight do not appear to be manufacturing the 2L3W lights with (reasonable) consistency in specification.

Depending on one's preferences, the 2L3W may or may not be suitable. My preference is for the Nuwai 352L.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaos...I don't have the other 2 lights you mentioned, but I do have the Nuwai TM-301X-3. It is a VERY nice light, and one of my most used lights. However, for your applications, I don't know if it would quite fit your needs. I'm not sure what type/size of aircraft you fly, but if it's along the lines of a commercial airliner, I'm not quite sure the TM-301X-3 would put out quite enough light for your pre-flight inspections. The low mode would probably be perfect for cockpit use, but because it doesn't have a very intense central hotspot due to the beam pattern (it's more flood than throw), it may not be bright enough in the hotspt for pin-pointing specific areas on your pre-flight checks. I do however think it would make a great back-up light for your flight bag...just my $.02!

PJD

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - I didn't see this light on your list, which I think might also fit your needs.

Nuwai TM-115X

I don't have any of the other lights you listed, but having handled a Streamlight 2L 3W, I'd say the 115X is pretty comparable in output, and I prefer that it's lo-hi vs. the Streamlight's hi-lo. The diameter of the head is a bit bigger than the Streamlight's but that's not a problem for my purposes (car light).

Dave