New Photon Freedom vs New Arc AAA Rev4 Premium

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
After Reading Loads of Post for Comparison.... I feel that there is a need for This Comparison. Its Apple vs Apple (well both come from different sources) but they both are Apples, Business End's are Same.

Here's My Comparison
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Constraint Photon Freedom Arc AAA Rev4 Premium
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Size 40 mm 72 mm
Battery 2xCR2016 1xAAA
LED Nichia NSPW500CS Nichia NSPW500CS
Runtime 2 Hrs + 5 dimmmmm 7 Hrs + 2 dimmmmmm
Lumens 8.5 - 5.5 8 - 7
LED Current 90 mA Initially 45 mA Initialy (verified)
Made up of ABS Plastic CNC Aircraft grade Alluminium
Others Features UI & PWM Dimmable None
Cost $15 + Shipping $40 + $15 FedEx Shipping
Weight Light as Feather Light as Alluminium :)
Rating ***** *****
</pre><hr />

They both are good they both are keychain lights they both are strong. If One has to make a choice... it will be a tough call. Yet, I still have a Photon Freedom ... and like a true CPFer... Will be getting Arc AAA Rev4 soon..

However, Given a Choice what will be your preference?

I might have missed some or many points.. and I would request you to put up your views too and additional comparison perspectives.

and at last.. I hope that this has not been ever covered before. I have done a search but could not find anything.

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
Nice comparison. However, the Photon's 2-hour run time is unrealistic on anything but a dim setting; I think a few minutes before it starts dimming is more realistic.

cy

Flashaholic
yep, just get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_virus

Enlightened
You know the unofficial CPF motto: "When in doubt...

<barber shop quartet>just get both!"</barber shop quartet>

Seriously though, personally I'd get an Arc AAA v4, if only for the cheap replaceable battery. That runtime can be repeated many times for dirt cheap (buy a huge box of AAA's for a lower unit price). Battery change is also easier and "field replaceable", no tools required and it can be done in the dark if the battery dies and that was your only light source!

I also favor lights where the LED is recessed to prevent damage like scratches.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Yes... The Battery Change Issue should be there in the comparison /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for bringing this up ThE_ViRuS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm,

I don't have a Freedom. But I do have some old Photons.
I prefer the ARC-AAA but the Photon has alot going for it.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be on the other side of the fence. But now, after using a Photon Freedom 2x, I have to give it my emphatic vote.

-Its much much smaller on the keychain than the Arc. This is coming from someone who EDC'd for a time a Firefly on his keychain so I have no qualms about large keychain objects. But its NICE to have something so small, yet so effective.

-Much much easier to turn on and use. This is one thing I've never liked about the Arcs. Having the donut up front means that when you turn the head, you turn the battery with it. I normally would remove the donut to make using easier. And that on/off motion WILL flatten the lousy solder blob thats used as the positive contact over time and you WILL get intermittant operation. I'm very surprised that Peter didn't upgrade this to something nicer.

-Dimming and signalling features. At one time I thought these were gimicy. No more. When you have the increased brightness of the new Nichia, you'll find yourself in more situations where that actually is too much light. And being able to start out from dim and work your way up to the desired brightness is VERY nice. And the signalling feature is nice if you need to get someone's attention at night such as meeting up with some friends outside a bar or whatever. Pressing the button is a whole lot easier than anything you can do with the Arc.

-And lastly, just to remphasize it, the Photon is now MUCH cheaper. To preempt it, don't even try to complain about batteries. You can get 10 years worth of batteries on ebay for 5 bucks.

For survival/wilderness use, the Arc is definitely one of the best possible choices out there. But I wouldn't even choose it for an around the house light. In that category, tail standing is a MUST. More makers need to realize that. If he changed the end to a tail standing design, I'd be much more in favor of it. But that would probably make it even MORE expensive.

The AAA is definitely a great light, but for keychain use I'm settled on the Photon Freedom for now...

Mark

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The only feature that would ever make me consider the Freedom over the Arc4-AAA is the multi-levels of brightness. Even with that, the Arc4-AAA wins in my book. Runtime and the powerplant is the big factor for me.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've paired an Inova Micro with my few keys in one pocket and the Arc AAA on a Solitaire lanyard to my Swiss knife in the other, front pocket. "One is none" you know, but if only one could be carried, the Arc wins for numerous reasons.

Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I prefer the Inova for a micro due to its recessed LED, very easy cell change, and it's only $6.25 @ BrightGuy.

Penguin

Enlightened
I carry both Freedom and AAA on my keychain but for some reason whenever I need to look for something, I instincively use the AAA... I think it's cause of the long battery life, I'm never afraid to use it. I know my Freedom dims FAST on those little CR2016's so i avoid using it. The little freedom is usually used to show off its neat little blinks/dimming

procure

Newly Enlightened
Where can you get a Photon Freedom for $15? It's listed at $20 on their website.

nightshade

Enlightened
I use many versions of the Photon on winter wear, such as jacket pulls and tabs,etc. I would suggest buy'em both.
I have purchased both as gifts. The Photons usually end up coming back to me for battery trades or living in the recipients junk drawers. For edc and gifts its the Arc for me.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Procure: I got one on ebay for that price. It may have been here.

I think that the Freedom's strobe is also something to consider. It would probably be better than the constant on mode (of either light) for the purpose of being seen at night - like a jogger or cyclist, for example.

Ultimately its not going to be stats and runtimes that the decide the issue, but personal preference. My preference is to have one of each on my key chain, esp since the Freedon's clip makes it easily removable.

best regards

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ArcAAA is easy to use with rechargeables, the Photon looses some output when used with a rechargeable cell.
And you can use fast chargeable cells in an ArcAAA.

On the other hand, I had never one from the newer Photons failing, while the ArcAAA turned out to be very unrelyable (I stated that many times), just recently another one went dead. Maybe a few of this issues are are better with the new version. But I would never put one into a survival pack.

And the biggest point: I just could buy a Photon now and I actually could do so all the time the last 6 years....

And the Photon could be used as a headlamp much easier.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the Photon and here is why, the Photon does 80% of the ARC for 30% of the size and 25% of the weight.

I would never carry just the ARC alone.

The kicker for me is that I also EDC a Fire~Fly so for ME why should I go up to the ARC when I can go up to a Fire~Fly?

So, I have the Photon Freedom which is very nice (esp. with it's higher output LED) and dimmable and when I need more light I have my Fire~Fly!

That way I have two EDC's

come to think about it I may just put my Photon Freedom on my Fire~Fly's keyring

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the Photon also. I have one on every keyring (yes I have several keyrings...lol) and they take up no space at all, you don't even know it's there. I have them on jacket pulls, tankbag zippers etc. The Arc is bulky (now that I'm spoiled) for a keychain IMHO.

I used to carry a AAA on a small lanyard linked to a mini swiss knife in a front or coin pocket, like jayflash does. This was a great way to carry it, and I used it all the time. But now I carry a 2 stage FFII in my pocket and it's small and easy to carry, with so much more versatility, that there's no reason to EDC carry the AAA anymore.

The FF has the same solder blob flattening problem as the Arc AAA and so neither is a "survival quality" tool for me, nor is the Photon however. But I can fit 10 Photons in a tiny space in a backpack for backup purposes with no weight or bulk.

There are many times that the AAA, even with the old nichia, was too bright and had to be dimmed by my thumb, and thus I like the dimmable Photon.

When traveling however, I still take the AAA's for the ease of obtaining batteries anywhere you go. And they are pretty robust and waterproof, if you prepare them first...ie clean threads and lube o ring, check solder blob, etc. They are also in my hurricane kit, due to waterproofness, run time, and battery form factor.

So, overall I prefer the Photon. But you know, things have progressed so incredibly rapidly in the flashlight world since I joined here 2 1/2 years ago, and my opinion changes every few months with the constant advent of new lights.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Good post Viren and I appreciate the time you spent on this.

I have a question however and I may simply have read something wrong here. I believe that Peter stated that the new AAA will be ran at 45 mA just like the older model. I believe I read that in another thread here recently but may be wrong.
You show this version at 65 mA and I am curious how you got that number. Is it possible that the standard version is 45 mA and the premium version 65mA ?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Li-Ion 2032 Cell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you want to stick to Rechargables ....

Only thing is charger is not available .... it needs to be charged at 30 - 50 mA Range...

Trion charger could do.. but will it be worth to use a $120 charger to charge a $2 cell and for a $15 Photon Light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Robocop... I am not too sure if it is 65 / 45 .. I dont have first hand information. I have read somewhere in Arc AAA Rev4 thread... Let me check... .. no i am sorry.. i cannot confirm it. but i did read it to be 65 .....

IIRC... 40-45 is what Peak LED's Drive their LED's in 1 LED High Power .... Arc AAA Has to be brighter and hence has to have higher current being fed at 65 ....

can any one else check out this fact... TIA