BEST Aquarium Screensaver?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm on a quest to find the BEST aquarium screensaver for windows XP. Of course I'd prefer "freeware" - but am open-minded.

I saw "Goldfish Aquarium" on a system at Sam's Club and it looked pretty good! I bought Aquatica3D Tropical Aquarium - have not opened it yet though and may return it. Looking at the demo, the fish don't look to move too realistically.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments/suggestions? Thanks!

drizzle

Enlightened
You should at least take a look at this one.

I have it and it is very cool. Awesome graphics, nice choice of fish and a few control options.

I have no idea how it stacks up against the others.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goldfish and Marine Aquarium (SereneScreen) are basically the same program with very similar features.
It all depends on whether you want saltwater or freshwater.

For some reason the saltwater version causes one of my computers' clock to run slow.
The developer said that they saw this same complaint from a few of their beta testers but were never able to pin it down.

In my opinion these two really have no other competition.

Just tried the demo if Aquatica3D and it's a joke.
3D yes, but realistic... NO!
It's like the aquarium version of Quake.
Moving sprites in a 3D modeled background.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

drizzle

Enlightened
Just to add a bit more on the SereneScreen one.

I found no problems with it affecting my clock, but I did stop using it and here's why.

I run some programs that can pop up windows on events, for example an Outlook appointment. When that happened, the screen saver minimized but kept running, complete with sound. It was a minor thing to click on the taskbar tab to bring the screen saver back on screen and then move my mouse to end the screensaver, but it was enough of a pain that I got tired of it. Now my screensaver is a blank screen. Boring yes, but never a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Serene Screen. The fish move pretty realistically, plus i like the forground/background lighting effect.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I Agree, another Serene Aquarium 2 fanatic, Serene screen is the best...but don't forget to register you for use it !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Along with Serene Screen, you might include Aquazone, by Allume Systems. They're very similar, both in quality and appearance. I use the CPF philosophy. I run both.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Empath ... does the landscape move in the Allume Systems screensaver? And do they have nice backgrounds for freshwater tanks, too?
bernhard

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Aquazone sounds interesting as you can run it in the "screensaver" or "interactive" modes. I'll have to look for a demo...I just don't want cartoon fish and of course require "natural looking movement".

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yeah ... investigate and let us know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'd also be interested if you can combine their several upgrade packs into one big sea-show or not ...
bernie

P.S.: great thread ...

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, AquaZone is just another cartoon.
If anyone wants my copy I'll send it their way.
I only got it because it was free after rebate.
To me that's more than it's worth.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't remember what the licensed copy used but the demo says it supports 256 colors.
That might explain a lot.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Empath ... does the landscape move in the Allume Systems screensaver? And do they have nice backgrounds for freshwater tanks, too?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about the little waving back and forth of the stalks and things, yes. There are several backgrounds provided, plus you can use those developed by others.

I don't know where GJW got his Aquazone, but mine certainly isn't cartoonish. The level of realism is nearly indistinguishable from Serene Screen's. I've also got the Goldfish from Serene Screen. It too is of the same quality of realism.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:I don't know where GJW got his Aquazone, but mine certainly isn't cartoonish. The level of realism is nearly indistinguishable from Serene Screen's.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I'm looking at the retail box and it's Aquazone Desktop Garden by Allume Systems.
It's the one where you can feed the fish and 'tap' on the glass and watch the fish scatter.
I don't see any version number but I see that there's now an update on their website so I'll give it another try tonight.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hmmm ../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
I need to try this Aquazone...but I read on the website that it is not compatible with french windows release /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And no "try before you buy" release ??

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Frenchy, there are some demos on the site/link that I posted above. Go over to the left side of the page "Official Downloads" and click on demos. There are French language versions.