Orb Raw 2 Stage Modded vs. HDS Ultimate 60 GT

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
I've been reviewing all I can find on these two excellent lights, but I'm still not sure which one would make a better EDC. I'm not even sure which is brighter at max output - although I suspect the Raw Orb would win that contest...or would it? Anyone have an opinion, and or experience with both these lights who could clarify matters for me...?

I should add I recently bought a Gladius, and find the many options available extremely easy and quick to switch between. Just not an EDC flashlight, but great for outdoor situations where you want to carry something that does almost everything you could possibly ask from a flashlight!

What I've read of the HDS 60 sounds relatively complicated for switching between all the modes...

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
The Raw is brighter then my EDC 60, but not as useful. More like a " wow now I'm blind after looking into it" verus the EDC which is more of a tool.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're comparing apples and oranges here - the Orb RAW is a direct-drive light, with either a T or U-binned LuxIII, no regulation, and which has a lifespan of about 12 minutes at full blast on a RCR2 cell. It's very bright, but due to the lower-capacity RCR2 and the size of the light won't run very long without getting very hot.. and then running out of juice shortly thereafter. With the two-stage mod by 4sevens, I've found it fairly useful as a small EDC which I can use in a variety of situations in the 'low' mode.

The HDS Ultima 60 GT is regulated, has multiple lighting modes, has bettery battery life by far due to its regulation and the ability to use higher-capacity R123 cells... and it steps down REAL nice when the batteries start giving out. Plus it also has thermal protection, so it's less likely to drive itself to death by overheating than the Orb RAW.

The Ultimate GT can be more versatile... but if you only need 'high' and 'low', the RAW with a two-stage will suit your needs JUST fine. That is, if you can accept the lesser battery life on high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't use the Orb as an EDC anyday, not until we can find a way to make iit water resistent. The Raw is as simple as it gets, and not even any orings(heck, the orings would melt at the temperature that the RAW gets)

The HDS is more practical oriented.

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
That's the reason I like the Raw 2 stage; you can use it on low for 90% of your needs - and if you need blinding light, it has that capability. It is so small and light that I can carry it around in my pocket and forget it is there until I need it. And then a simple twist of the back end - and I have light! Simple IS sometimes better right...KISS!

Doug

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing against the orb, I think in addtion to the better runtime and 4 setting with a basic 60 you have a versatile light with multiple battery types, and coming soon accessores for
different batteries (dual 123's AA's etc)so If it's for EDC use would go with a HDS imho. VDG

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
There is no comparision between these two lights. The Raw, in its OEM design, is nothing more than a WOW light, that's it. Runtime sucks, it is not resistant to moisture and I'm expecting it would crush easily if too much weight were put on it. That being said, the Raw was built for one reason and one reason only and that is to put out the most light in the smallest package possible, period. It does that very well. The Ultimate on the other hand was designed to be used for just about any lighting need you can think of, in any conditions.

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
How bright is the Ultimate 60 GT on High? As bright as the Inova T3? Or maybe the T4? Inova is a line I'm very familiar with, so maybe someone could compare the high output and throw of the HDS to an Inova equivalent for me...

JohnF

Enlightened
I have a T1, T3, Basic 60GT, Utimate 60XR,SureFire L2, and Gladius.

For pure throw, I'd say the EDS's are between the T1 and T3, about mid-way. The L2 'brings up the rear' for throw, the Gladius equals the T3 (but with much greater and usefull spill.)

My only problem with the Inova's are that they are pure throw, with no spill whatever - this makes them awkward for tasks like walking at night, map / book reading, anything that requires wider coverage (which for me, is most every night task). This is where the L2 excells, the Gladius is good, and the HDS's are decent.

Although it seemed cool to be able to throw a long ways (T3), I found I just didn't have much use for it without being able to see anything outside the spot.

I'm giving the T3 as a gift to a neighbor who took care of our cats for 2 weeks while we were gone camping, as I just don't use it at all, and it didn't cost much (relatively speaking) to begin with.

The T1 stays in a vehicle glove box for emergency use.

Don't get me wrong - the Inovas are great value, are very well made, and have great throw. It's just that I find myself valuing coverage over throw in almost every instance a light is needed.

John F

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
John F

Thanks for your very useful information, which helps me to put everything into perspective.

The Gladius is pretty great, isn't it... The design and switching arrangement are just near genius, and if you want to run it a long time, all you need to do is go to a low output level and leave it there.

I tend to agree about the Inovas - they are pure throw with no sidespill at all.

Maybe I'll consider the HDS 60 Basic
Gt, with 4 brightness levels - maybe that's all I'll need. You have that one and the XR - why the 2 models?

Doug

JohnF

Enlightened
<<You have that one and the XR - why the 2 models?>>

Absolutely no good reason at all. I had the Basic GT first, absolutely love it, even the often maligned clip.

Had a little extra money, maybe had one too many beers one night, and.... decided I wanted an Ultimate, mostly for the ability to choose turn-on intensity (this 'want' came from using the Gladius, of course.)

Luckily the wife doesn't read this forum. She can't tell the Basic 60 GT from the Ultimate 60 XR by sight, so I just have to keep one in a drawer at all times. <g>

Now, if you were to ask which I'd keep IF I could only have one, I'd say neither - I'd get the Ultimate 60 GT. The dealer I buy from didn't have that in stock (but had the U60XR), so that was that. I didn't win the Luxeon lottery, but the XR is not too bad, just not as spot-on white as the Basic 60 GT.

I might part with the Basic 60 GT for a small loss if you are interested. I'd sure miss that ultra-white tint, though.... but wouldn't have to worry about keeping one or the other hidden <g>

John F
LV, NV