Thinking about getting a SF L2

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about going ahead and buying a Surefire L2. However, $165 is quite a bit of money to spend on a flashlight, so I'm trying to find a way to justify it. I have been trying to find good beamshots of the L2, but all I have been able to find are the ones from flashlightreviews where they shoot at the paper target from 1 meter. I am wondering if anyone here has any good beamshots of the L2 in use, maybe outside lighting up some trees or something. It would be even better if there were also some of another light, such as a standard 2D maglite, doing the same thing for comparison. If anyone has any of these images, or similar ones, sitting around on their harddrive that they could share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any input.

JMagic

Newly Enlightened
i think you should consider the U2 or L4 because they can take rechargeable batteries. that can be your justification for spending so much on a light, you save on batteries! the l2 does not accept any rechargeables.

txkaratedude

Newly Enlightened
I bought one off ebay for 120$ and am happy with the performance. I really like the dual level output and I bought a doz. SF batteries from their website for 20$ shipped. The L2 is a good light for all around use imho. just my .02

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you get the L2, and light up your room with it on high, you will forget how you could ever wonder how to justify the money! The beam will knock you off. It's a true "wall of light". Together with the really nice, simple, intuitive switch, it's a really awesome light. Be aware, though, that the wall of light comes at a price. You sacrifice throw. If you want a far throwing light, don't get the L2. The L2 works brilliantly, if you want to illuminate interiors in front of you, or your work area.

If that is what you want, buy it! You will not regret it.

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light more for outdoor use. I want something that will be able to light up my backyard, for example, or parts of the field out behind my house. I'll also be taking it with me hiking and camping alot. Maybe the L2 isn't the right light for me in the case, and maybe I need something with a little more throw. Any other suggestions?

Luxman

Enlightened
What distance/area do you want to cover in your backyard?
What distance do you want to throw camping?
Maybe you want a light that specializes in throw...?

L2 throw is pretty good while still lighting up a large area. Its a very nice reliable light.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want a reliable light that does everything very well take a look at the multilevel SF U2. You can run it at a fairly low level to save your batteries and not blind yourself for close-up work and yet has very good throw and area coverage.

To learn more about power, throw and beam stuff, take a look at the Aleph FAQ in the McGizmo area and also see the Throw/Output charts at flashlightreviews.com. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DreamScape

Enlightened
Corallis, Welcome to CPF.

Good Questions.
Differcult to point you directly to an ideal torch, but i'm sure we all will give you some great advise.

Check out this link - Beamshots of 9 Torches
It will give you some idea of some beam shots of several torches. The L2 will have a similar beam pattern to the L4 but will be slightly brighter due to 100 Lumens to the L4's 65 Lumens. The L2 is a Awesome floodlight with some throw.

Bare in mind that usually the bigger the head/reflector the longer the throw. Also the smoother the reflectors finish, ie mirror finish the further the throw too.

The L2 has a 1 inch head/reflector and has a HOP - Heavy Orange Peel finish to the reflector - Thus giving you a diffused/smooth beam/flood.

The Mag 2D for example; has a 2 1/4 inch head/reflector and a SMO - SMOoth Mirror finish to the reflector - Thus giving you a beam that throws but with artifacts. (slight rings and shadows etc.)

Now i feel that the L2 would be idea for Camping and walking/hiking due to the flood and the low beam available too, and the light weight.

Now for seaching fields etc. maybe a Thor or 5 million candle power spot light. These can be picked up cheaply and are rechargeable.

Another option is to get on the Hotwire band wagon and get yourself a MAG85 or MC60.

Check these valuable links out for further info/history
Get some reading done and get your head into them.
I find the search function very handy too. Just use key words.

MagCharger Mods Lineage

got my own MC85 running - this thing IS bright !!!

BiPin Mag: The First Mag-MagCharger Hybrid

The Tiger11, the MC60, and some related musing

Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corallis,

Take a look at the SF A2 WH for outdoor use. It's a pleasure to use and seems to work for most camping applications. It throws a little better and the incandescent is better at identifying things when there is lots of vegetation. There was a while that I liked the L2 better, but I've come full circle back to the A2 for use in the outdoors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf corolis, L2 is an excellent light, if you don't mind a little extra length.

some folks prefer the extra length VS an L4, which needs a McE2S two stage switch to be functionally equal to L2.

also L2 has a dumb head and will not interchange VS KL4 on L4 with can be changed to E1E body.

I've got a mint L2 available for $135 shipped, please PM if interested.

Luxman

Enlightened
Corallis,
If you have never seen a LUX V in action - the L2 will be an experience for you!....Sounds like a great deal from cy...

And think of it this way...now that your on CPF - this, by far, will not be your last light!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[Aleph 1 - on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif]

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies so far. As someone mentioned, I have considered the A2, but I was really looking for an LED light. After all that has been said, I am still leaning towards getting an L2. I will be using it as an EDC light as well, so the two stages are a big bonus. I just wish I had some way to test one before I actually went and dropped all of that money on it, but unfortunately there isn't anywhere near where I live that carries SF lights.

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Got a L2, and I tried it out at camping. At low level it's more than adequate for regualar tasks (not too close that is) and when you hear a sound in the woods, kick in the high beam and even the fox who made the bush moved is going to say... Wow!

Well, I use the high beam not more than 10sec "burst-shots"... Thinking about the low beam 10hours+ of light, versus ~50mins high. What I like about the L2 is that *YOU* have the choice. The L4, even with the rechargable thing is forcing you to use one level of light. If you want 2 level... You have to buy a Gizmo switch wich is going to cost you equal if not more than a L2. And Most L4 have a greenish tint to it.

There you go, my two cents into this marvelous forum. That is what I like here. Bunch of opinions... And after that, *YOU* make up you mind. Just like I did with my L1,L2 and my freshly aquired ArcAAA-P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: BTW, I bought mine on Ebay (new), bought it for 35$ less than on the Surefire website. Yes, you can buy it for less. That is why I spent the cash and I didn't told my girlfriend yet. YES, she think I own only one Surefire flashlight wich is the L1, and I'll do my best to always show her one or the other at once. So far it's working! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DreamScape

Enlightened
Where do you live?
Someone may meet up with you.

cy's deal sounds great too. Give him a PM for some more details.
You can put what you saved to some extra CR123's.
You will be impressed with the L2, you will not regret it!

As Luxman said: "this, by far, will not be your last light!! " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings Corallis!

For camping and home security use, I've found nothing better than the L2. I personally don't like the U2, having used one for about a week... it's larger, has more moving parts and more complex electronics, and is more difficult to "jump" from low to high output (which can be done instantly on the L2). It also sounds like you are having a hard enough time coming up with the $150 or so for an L2, making the U2 at almost twice the price out of your budget anyway.

All of the "Wall of Light" reports on the L2 are true... it really needs to be seen to be believed. As far as throw is concerned, it is quite a bit better than I was expecting after reading all the reports on this forum... I was expecting something that wouldn't be very bright at 20 yards, but the L2 really holds its own.

My only complaint about the L2 is the brightness on the "low" setting, it is just a bit too bright for comfortably reading books in the tent (at least by me)... I wish Surefire would come out with an L2 version that had about 1/2 the "low" setting output. You might not have the same complaint though, many people are quite happy with the "low" output level.

As for the length, it seemed a bit too long to me when I first bought the light, but after using it for a few days I began to really appreciate the handling of the longer length, and at this point don't even notice it! In some ways, I almost prefer the L2 length to the L1 that I EDC...

Whatever you decide, see if you can handle one in person before purchasing in order to see if it is right for you or not.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Atomic_Chicken said:
It also sounds like you are having a hard enough time coming up with the $150 or so for an L2, making the U2 at almost twice the price out of your budget anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct. The $150 is already quite a bit for me to be spending on a flashlight. I'm a fulltime student with only a part time job. Unforunately for my wallet, I have very expensive taste when it comes to things like this.

I think I'm almost definitely going to be getting the L2 at some point soon, because I figure if for some reason it doesn't live up to my expectations or perform as I need it to, I can always just sell it on ebay and eat the $20-$30 loss and deem it as a learning experience.

savumaki

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif Greetings Corallis!

I have an L2 and so does my hunting bud; no other choice. Perfect, with two levels of light that cover 90% of a persons needs in the outdoors, it will blow your mind the first time you use it at night.

If you need a thrower it would be cheaper to buy one specificaly for that purpose. Here in Canada we're lucky that Canadian Tire carrys an inexpensive ($9 on sale) 6V unit that reaches out 200 yds with no prob.

Back to the L2; BUY IT you'll never be sorry, good for a lifetime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Karl

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
I've decided I am definitely going to buy an L2. I am going to have to wait until my next paycheck, or at least until some of my auctions on ebay end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It sounds like I'm going to like what I get.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
dsc008389uk.jpg

dsc008396cw.jpg

Beamshot of L2 at 15.5"

dsc004670ro.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting