Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Okay,

So who else here has been playing with "Google Earth"? All I can say is that there is a reason this company dominates. I thought that their new maps function was awesome enough. Now they bring this.

Even if you don't live somewhere that's been recorded at one meter resolution yet, it's still very, very cool. If your house and street is just a fuzzy blob at 100 meter resolution, go play somewhere on earth the hi-rez stuff has already been loaded, it's still worth it! And the satellite imagery is always being updated.

You can even zoom in on Baghdad and see some bombs going off, frozen in time!

A 747 is visible, caught in the air on final approach by a Japanese airport.

For some inscrutable reason, all of Indiana seems to be imaged in hi-rez already?

One cool thing, if you've ever seen the "Powers of Ten" movie shown at various science museums, you can do the same thing, but now from your own backyard, or any other landmark you choose. "Zooming back down" is even better, IMO.

If you haven't gotten the word yet: http://earth.google.com

Install, play, enjoy, discuss.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the program, and find it awesome.

As you mentioned, some of the areas have poor resolution, but many give enough detail to tell what kind of vehicle is parked outside.

Durn, the computer age is HERE.

Who could have EVER forseen something like this being available (at no cost) a few years ago. Wow !

If you haven't downloaded it yet, DO pay attention to the system demands. It won't work with some OS's, and requires a good bit of computer speed.

Really neat !!!!!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was alerted to this via email a few days ago, and only just now installed it. I found my house right away, but the white van and the little red car aren't in the driveway, so that particular photograph is somewhat out of date.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
The ability to type in an address and just fall in right from space is amazing.

So, how many people do you figure are typing in the addresses of nudist colonies and clothing optional beaches? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great program. Just a little FYI, Google did not make Google Earth nor Google Maps thats on the net. They bought a company that did both, then made free access to each. But the company that made the Maps program on the net, made Google Earth as well. Great programs though. 3D feature is awesome, and the fact that you can find eating locations is just as cool. I guess users can add their own Points of Interests and share with other people, cause one of the options, "User Supplied Connections" or something to that effect seems as though its a database of points. Kinda cool, if we find out how to add to the base.

Cameron

LaserFreak

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AJ_Dual said:
The ability to type in an address and just fall in right from space is amazing.

So, how many people do you figure are typing in the addresses of nudist colonies and clothing optional beaches? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you here...hmm...nudist colonies huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.