Blaster Jr first pmpression

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of elecktrolumens lights. I like the Blaster series. These have always been the best of the bunch for me.
Today I received a blaster Jr. I have been wanting this for a while I gave in at $38.99.
This is one nice around the house or in the glove box (urban area of course). The Jr is just as nice as the others are though I suspect a different manufacturer for some reason. Wayne likes optics. Optics are cool but reflectors are better. That is not to say tat the Blaster Jr doesnt produce a very nice spot at 25-20 foot.
This is a high quality light at a good price.
I like it and think I will keep these with the others, all around the house.
Yaesumofo

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
How is that not throw?
especially for a 1W lux...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, the Blaster Junior uses a LuxIII. The one I have does...and mine EASILY throws a beam 150-200 feet.

PJD

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have quite a few elecktrolumens lights, one thing I will say is that they are well made, very reliable, that also applies to the blaster Jr, The 3 Watt version realy kicks

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My beam is nice and white.

dsc008633hs.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blasters use Fraen? Does the Jr have as much throw/output as its older sibling?

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
I have owned a blaster Jr. for a while now, as well as the Blaster III and the TriStar. I have to say out of all my Elektrolumen lights the Jr. is by far my favourite. It put's out quite a bit of light for a torch in a 1 D form factor. I recently took it on a 4 day camping trip and i have to tell you guy's that i never get tired of the looks i get when i whip out a quality LED light next to my friends wimpy incan lights for the first time. I brought down a modified Lux III tactical 2 cr123 light (police) brand grenade style i purchased on ebay, my modded 2D Mag Light with Lux III and 6AA's in Wayne's battery holder with a Downboy converter board driving it at 1 amp, and finally my trusty Blaster Jr. I modded my blaster Jr with a better bin Lux III emitter, i believe it is now a TWAJ or TWOJ emitter. After playing around with all of them, and showing off the throw of the modded mag, i ended up sticking to the blaster Jr. as my trail light. Why? well it put's out in my opinion the very best combination of throw and a very good size hotspot which illuminates my entire path in a very nice smooth beam. The Mag was a bit brighter, however in order to achieve the same hotspot as the Jr. i had to defocus the light quite a bit leaving me with a bit of a donut hole. So to make a long story short, my friends were all very impressed with the Jr. and it got used for the majority of the trip during our really late night 3am walks on the trail. During the entire trip i never had to replace the batteries in my Jr. and i must have used it for about 20-30 min continuously on each night on a set of 3 AA 2500 mAH rechargeable Energizers NimH batts.

soloco

Enlightened
I think at this point Wayne is only using 3W Luxeons (and maybe other LED manufacturers in the near future). He's been a little busy. You may notice a lot of other things on the website that haven't been updated/cleaned-up too. I have a new Blaster Jr. I agree the Blaster Jr. is one of my very favorite flashlights. I love the form factor and the beam.

vhyper007

Enlightened
What Soloco said.

"I have a new Blaster Jr. I agree the Blaster Jr. is one of my very favorite flashlights. I love the form factor and the beam."

try it, you will like it...
vhyper007

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhantomZ said:
i've ordered one from him and he did confirm that it's a 3W.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I had read this post an hour ago - I just sent an email asking him to clarify the 1W or 3W thing.
So the product IS 3W and can be ordered at this time?
TIA

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
From all the previous positive posts, I must have received a dud.

...my Blaster Jr had the weakest and poorest beam of nearly any of the flashlights I own. It was marginally better than a stock mini-Maglight.

In a effort to get a bit more light, I put in lithium batteries. It hasn't worked since.

I emailed Wayne about a repair. He never answered.

My Blaster Jr. now sits in pieces on my desk...to remind me not to order anything else from Electrolumens.

...which is unfortunate since my two Tri-Star Phasers's are among the best I own.

jb

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have sent some lights back to Wayne to fix. One time he answered my email quick.

The other time he did not answer me. On this occasion I sent my light to him with a copy of the email I sent him. It took Wayne about 1 week to fix the light. So it was a total of around 2 weeks to get the light back.

Right now Wayne is a one man operation. His son was helping him when he was in California, assembling the custom order lights and repair work. Now his son is off to college.

Right know Wayne is trying to assemble 20 ELX-6's and after those lights are finished he will assemble 30 ELX-3's.

Wayne is also is dealing with the orders sent to him.

Wayne will fix any flashlight sold by him, up to one year. Please give him a chance, Wayne backs his products.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:

Wish I had read this post an hour ago - I just sent an email asking him to clarify the 1W or 3W thing.
So the product IS 3W and can be ordered at this time?
TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt know that the blaster jr was a 1W before. in his website here,

http://elektrolumens.com/4_SALE/For_Sale.html

it does say that the blaster jr is 3W which was my reason for purchasing it. if it was 1W, i would have gone with the UK LED instead. last time i talked with wayne he said that he does have some blaster jr in stalk, i made my order for one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

give wayne some time to reply your emails. he has been busy with getting his projects done and he just moved to a new home. if he doesnt reply to your emails, give it a couple more days and send another. he always replied back to mine within a couple days.

ckcanon

Newly Enlightened
I'm reading all these opinion reviews with a lot of interest but am having trouble finding:

- beamshot comparisons to some "standard lights"
- dimensions
- runtime to 50% output

Has any of this information been published? I hate to buy lights just on subjective opinions ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif