Is anybody using the KL5 head on a C3 body?

WDR65

Enlightened
I'm curious. I had forgotten that you could put an KL5 head on a 3 cell body and I want to see if anybody is doing this. Also if someone is, what kind of runtime are you getting and what does everyone think of the KL5 head in use. Thanks in advance.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am.

About 75-80 minutes runtime regulated I am getting

I think its a great mod

WDR65

Enlightened
Humm, interesting. I might have to put a KL5 on my list then. I like my new KL3, but I want a brighter luxeon and I like the idea of being able to switch between bright and long runtime.
Thanks for the info 357,
Dudley

rookie

Enlightened
Was there ever a change in the regulation circuit in the KL5? I remember way back then when the L5 came out, we were told not to use 3 Cr123s on it or risk destroying the circuits. But the recent listings on Surefire state that the KL5 can be used on Z3, C3, and such.

I have one of the earlier KL5s, when they first came out, and I'll hate to wreck it.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Plus if you use the new "classic" two-level switch kit from the Shoppe, you will then have a two level 5W light :)

Will

Any links or more info on this switch kit? Does it need technical know-how to install?
Would it work on a KL3 gen 2 or the new BOG 5w drop-in?

Thanks! :)

Flashdark

Enlightened
WARNING TO ALL!!

Since day one (despite the fact that Surefire says that we CAN in their literature), we have been warned NOT to use the KL-5 on any 3-cell light. We were told by knowledgable sources ("size15s" for one) that 9 volts would damage the KL-5 circuitry for reasons which are beyond my technological expertise. If they have changed the circuitry in the KL-5 head to now allow 9-volt usage, I have not heard about it. Since it would not be any brighter and only give you a little more runtime, it really serves no purpose anyway. The C-2/M-2/Z-2 etc. works just fine. If you want more performance/range, the L-6 is a dandy 9-volt light. The KL-5 is great for 50-60 yrds maximum for identification, half that range for serious encounters (especially with one eye closed while shooting), and makes a great unbreakable light for pistol range distances. With an adapter (E2C or LU-60A), it will screw on to an L-1 or L-2 with very interesting results for 2-stage distance work. This concludes about everything that I know about the KL-5.

Hope this helps.

rookie

Enlightened
Thanx for the recap, Flashdark.

That is about all I can recall also. Just haven't heard of anything ever changing with the KL5. I wonder that if we did somehow melt the circuits on the KL5 while using 3 CR123s, would Surefire replace it as it was their suggestion that we can use 3 CR123s?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is from SF website:

The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights flashlight to high-intensity LED technology

Well, looks like 9P, C3, and Z3 are all on there, so...unless your owners manual warns you other wise, this is the info from the source...

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
This is from SF website:

The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights flashlight to high-intensity LED technology

Well, looks like 9P, C3, and Z3 are all on there, so...unless your owners manual warns you other wise, this is the info from the source...
Just curious
does this MOd result in a brighter donut?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, I won't be using my KL5 on the C3 anymore. I hope I didn't already damage it...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was under the impression 'something' had changed and that the KL5 'now' was okay for use on a three-SF123A SureFire such as the C3.

I will make a point to ask somebody of SureFire about this.

Al

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a way to tell if the circuit took damage? Or does it suddenly just die with no warning?

rookie

Enlightened
And also, if there was a change, how would you be able to tell? The only tell-tale sign is the serial number......

WDR65

Enlightened
Matthewdanger,
Everything I've seen on the subject says so. I'm using a KL3 gen2 on a C3 and so far no problems. I like the runtime and throw a lot. I know that several others are running the combo you have and I haven't seen anybody post on here with a problem. A Surefire Guru out to be able to clear it up for sure though, but I think you're alright.

Dudley

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
matthewdanger said:
Is it safe to run the KL3 on 3 cells?

Yes, both KL1 & KL3 can run on three cells.

The KL1 can run on one, two or three cells. The KL1 has a buck/boost circuit.

The KL3 is for use with two or three cells. The KL3 is dim on one cell. The KL3 has a buck circuit.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Nice! Thanks guys. I had never seen anything from Surefire or here that said that the KL3 couldn't be run on 3 cells but then this came up about the KL5 and I figured I better check.

The KL3 is just so nice on a C3 body with SW02 tail cap; it would have brocken my heart to have to take it off.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
I was under the impression 'something' had changed and that the KL5 'now' was okay for use on a three-SF123A SureFire such as the C3.

I will make a point to ask somebody of SureFire about this.

Al

Any answer from SF yet?