What if........

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys. My second ever post and it's a scenario question (I hope these haven't been 'done to death' already). Anyway.........

The TV programme 'Lost' has been showing here in the UK for just over a month now and it got me wondering. If you KNEW (or strongly suspected) you were going to end up in the same circumstances as the 'Lost survivors' what one torch do you wish you had with you and why?

My suggestion is an Infinity Ultra. LONG run time, takes AA batteries (better chance of finding spares in the wreckage than other types i suspect), easy to carry on board in the pocket (no good being in my hand luggage if that ends up 20,000 leagues under the sea!), simple, reliable, and waterproof.

Obvioulsy it would be no good for finding my way through the jungle when I'm involved in a midnight chase with a polar bear, but hey I'm willing to take that risk!

AlanP

P.S. Thanks to those who all replied to my first ever post, "Help please. Confused!"

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
A crank powered LED light with radio might be best. AA is the most prevalent battery type in the world and thus ideal for Iraq duty. But 'Lost' is filmed on Oahu within walking distance of many stores catering to tourists from around the world. Considering all their exotic battery-powered photographic equipment, I expect you could pick up whatever type of battery you wanted.

The Professor on Gilligan's Island made batteries for the radio from various fruits. But they could have waded the few hundred yards to shore then bought some at the mall...

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like one that was about 20 feet long and had a 50 HP Mercury on the back.
But if it wasn't available I would choose an Eternalight, 1000 hours of runtime could prove to be useful.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
If you KNEW (or strongly suspected) you were going to end up in the same "circumstances as the 'Lost survivors'..."

I'd cancel my flight and have another Martini at the bar. Otherwise, a Shakelight.

But probably the most useful things to have would be several Bic lighters. Once you have fire, all the other things can be re-invented. ;)

Zigzago

Enlightened
I'd also agree with your choice of the Infinity Ultra with the added reasons that mine came with a lanyard and clip so you can hang it around your neck or clip it to your hat for hands-free operation.

Having "survived" a few power outages, I find that moderately bright lights with good run times are more useful than the super bright ones.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
i like your scenario about being chased thru the jungle by a polar bear.

You haven't seen the show, I'd guess :popcorn:

In any case, I'd take a Peak Kilmanjaro Ultra over the Infinity Ultra. I've got both and there's no comparison, the Peak has a better beam, and runs over 50 hours in my tests. It's also great for sucking light out of batts that are dead for other uses. I just pulled some out a remote that had stopped working after 2 years of daily use, and the light fired up just fine with them.

I agree with the point that, if you're in a serious emergency, only stuff that's attached to you, like in a pocket, is going to stay with you.

On the other hand, an interesting question would be "What light would you most like to find in the wreckage". My vote would be an XR EDC U (or basic)60 , along with a box of CR123a's.