Gift recommendation

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
I want to give a flashlight as a gift. The person I have in mind would appreciate a light with strong styling and that was moderately uptodate technically. I can spend about $100. The light doesn't have to meet any special needs requirements -- nobody is going to be using it under water or kicking it around or using it in a fight. I don't really care what size it is. Like I said above, it should look cool, not be totally obsolete technically, and not cost much more than a Franklin. Any thoughts?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the new LumaRay FL-6 could fit the bill.
It has very strong "sci-fi movie" styling, uses normal C batteries, has a good level of light output, except that it is a very tight spot without hardly any side spill.
Lasts 12 hours at hi brightness(over 50%), and up to 200 hours of lower level light after that.
Only $69 plus shipping.
It is a very uniquely styled light that gets excellent reviews on the review websites.
It's styled like "Terminator meets Predator" or something like that.
It will definitely be remembered, as it is not in any way a "mundane flashlight" type of gift. If he's a sci-fi buff, he'll absolutely love it.

I'm thinking of ordering the LumaRay FL-12 version, which has more power and more side spill and fill, but it costs $119.

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Surefire E1L, E2E or E2L. They will be amazed at the light from such a small light. And in that price range they are the ones in my opinion.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any small aluminum SureFire, LED if you can find one for the price. Definitely a lot of cool factor there. Just watch the agressive knurling on some lights. That is a turn-off to a lot of folks.

Scott

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
How bout an Orb??? The sleek style with a magnet (Slide the metal thingy in the hole!!) to turn it on!! Tritium glowstick in the reflector that is radioactive (slightly) glows for 10 years to find in the dark!!

Cool!!

-PSM

proto3.jpg

orb01a.jpg

1w-torch-with-logo2.jpg

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
May sound crazy, but I've given the Nuwai Q3 as a gift, and people really like it. Has a nice look and feel, good styling.

As usual another option is the Fenix 1LP. Nice straight lines, good performance.

If you can stretch to $120, there's the HDS EDC B42.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always admire the Inova X series (X1, X5, XO1, XO3) as some of the coolest-looking lights around.

Alternative: How about a PeakLED steel body light?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Lots of good suggestions, to throw another one out there...how about a Streamlight TL-2 LED? Nice styling, fairly small, lifetime warranty...

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the suggestion of a Fenix- to me this seems like the perfect "gift" light as it's small, easy to use switch, clean styling, great output (current technology as you say), and uses a AA which everyone is comfortable with :D . I wouldn't give a CR123 based light to a non-flashaholic since you'd then have to tell them to order the batteries on line, etc.