Sukkah lighting with LEDs? Thread for Jews...

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
So I thought I'd throw this one out to all the Jews on the board who are building sukkahs for the upcoming holiday (are there any others around?)...

Anybody find some good LED lighting (or any other type of lighting) for your sukkah? I have a 250W halogen worklight that is fairly well sealed against rain, as well as 2 strings of conventional "christmas lights" that I use to keep it nice and bright. I'd love to get some rain-proof luxeon light plug-in light sources (worklights/shoplights work well)--anybody know of one?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blue and white phillips LED strands from Target would be perfect. And you can double their brightness and eliminate 75% of the flicker with a simple rectifier that you could tear out of an old power supply or get from radio shack. I'm working on that now, but am waiting on some big capacitors in the mail to try to even out the flicker a bit more yet. They have various styles of lights, and even rope lights too.

As far as luxeon sources... I've often thought that some of these flashlights could be attached to a cheap plug in powersupply instead of batteries and make a fantastic little accent or outdoor light. Take a QIII and power it from a wall wort, make a nice enclosure for it :) Might have to explore more heat sinking for it, but you could probably make a nice beam and water tight enclosure fairly easily that way. Seems a shame to ruin a perfectly good flashlight though...

but I dont know of any commercial luxeon outdoor lights, you'll need to roll your own. Bring your sukkah into the 21st century :D