Searching for Target RGB LED night light bulb

Darell

Flashaholic
Howdy RGB fans. Many moons ago, Target sold a cheap, simple, white plastic night light that had an RGB "bulb" in it. This bulb had the standard night light-sized bulb base (candelabra... E17?) and consisted of a single 10mm RGB LED - though you couldn't see that until you popped off the white plastic diffuser. The whole night light sold for $4.95, and I bought a couple just for that nice bulb. Now that I need more, they're gone! Does anybody have any that they'd like to sell? Anybody seen them at their Local Target in the closeout isle? I really liked how these changed and mixed the colors - and the fact that they were stand-alone bulbs that could be used in any fixture.

If anybody has a line on them (or any other RGB "bulb" that they can recommend) I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Darell

Flashaholic
Bob -

Not them, but looks like a great substitute. Thanks for doing the legwork on this! I'll definitely check into it, since these are basically the same as what I'm looking for. The ones at Target just had a smooth, white plastic shell over the LED - not a clear faceted jobbie.

marcspar

Enlightened
I'll be at Target this weekend, so I'll pick up any I can find.....

Marc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have been thinking about the small c7? LED bulbs (standard incan 7watt) myself as I have a fridge with a nightlight you can leave on but I want an LED bulb.. perhaps 3-4 white LEDs in it instead.

Darell

Flashaholic
marcspar said:
I'll be at Target this weekend, so I'll pick up any I can find.....
Great! I have no idea how long they've been "discontinued" but I'm good for as many as they may have - if they have them!

Thanks for looking! The Target "nightlight" section is fortunately by the flashlight section, so you won't be going too far out of your way. :)

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, Bob. I called the Carpenter rep and spoke to him for a while. These are 12VDC units! A transformer is required. Definitely not what I'm looking for! The Target bulbs are self-contained mains-powered units that screw directly into a 120V socket. Bummer - these sounded neat.

Turns out that this same company actually decorated our town's main tree last year with these very same LED lights. Small world.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Darell said:
OK, Bob. I called the Carpenter rep and spoke to him for a while. These are 12VDC units! A transformer is required.

Most definitely! I blew up one of my sample lamps last year by not checking the voltage requirement first! :ohgeez:

I bought one of those 110v lights a Taqrget. I'll check for more of them the next time I make it out there.

Darell

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
I bought one of those 110v lights a Taqrget. I'll check for more of them the next time I make it out there.
You'll be my best friend if you find some! Note - they have lots of RGB products there now, but none of them have a screw-in bulb. They're all built into the fixture now. I can rip all the guts out and start over, but I'm trying desperately to avoid that since I'll be doing several... and this was supposed to be a *fun* project. :)

EricB

Enlightened
From what I hearrd somewhere; Carpenter is supposed to be making a 120V version sometime, or maybe they were just planning it. But I haven't heard anything about any new products in the last year. These sites:

http://www.holidaylightsandmagic.com/LED-Lighting-THE-BRIGHTEST-Lighting-in-America-C42.aspx

http://www.residential-landscape-lighting-design.com/store/PPF/parameters/8453_871/more_info.asp

have some good looking 120V replacement bulbs, but none that I see are RGB. (the first site seems to sell in bulk: packs of 100 for $200+. The second site also sells strings of mini lights with glass envelopes that look exactly like 2.5v. incandescents, complete with the little point on top!

Darell

Flashaholic
Eric -

Great links, thanks! It would appear that every year we'll see more and more LEDs... and that's awesome. I think it would be pretty wild to have a whole string of RGBs!

EricB

Enlightened
I do!
I have a string of 6 of the Intellishines, plus the Target light and an identical nightlight I got from K-Mart the year before, which I plug into the extension cord I run the other lights off of. (I only use the 2 nightlights for Christmas). What's better is that they all run through their cycles at different times, so they are never the same color except when you first turn them on.
Now, I also have the DingDotz Demo 10 light set, which run off of a small CPU and does a wide variety of colors (the 7 plus a very realistic looking soft white, and pastels like wintergreen and lavender) and arrangements/effects.

Darell

Flashaholic
I wonder if Kmart has these things as well. I don't have a Kmart handy here... anybody? I'm offering up an extra lump of coal in your stocking this year!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Darell said:
I wonder if Kmart has these things as well. I don't have a Kmart handy here... anybody? I'm offering up an extra lump of coal in your stocking this year!

I was at a K-Mart recently and I didn't see them (and I ALWAYS look at the lighting section).

marcspar

Enlightened
Sorry Darell,

There were more led night lights at my local Target than 'normal' ones, but all of them had the led(s) integrated into the units - none had a screw in module....

I was really suprised on the variety of the mid-range led flashlights I saw while there; there were large displays by Innova & River Rock with at least a few dozen different models available if you count the different colored leds.

I'll check next time I hit Kmart or Walmart.

Marc

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks for looking, Marc. That's what I've found too. LOTS of LED lights... which is a good thing, of course! Did you see the little fiber-optic one with the built-in RGB? Might have to try that out. That would make a goofy night light for sure!