The Avatar Celebration Thread

greenLED

Flashaholic
So, what's your avatar story, how many have you had, and why the change (if any)? Post'em here!

Some people become familiar to me on CPF because I see their avatars over and over again. I've been thinking about an avatar/name change, but I fear that people might miss me if I do a drastic change. I chose my nick because I liked Green Lantern as a kid, but I thought in these modern times he probably is using a LED , thus, greenLED was born. :laughing:

Anyway, let me know what you think. From left to right:
  1. The original one, which is a cutout and PS from a larger Justice League pic.
  2. There's the one I've been using, as DarkGreen in the UG.
  3. A new one I may use on CPF (notice the LED symbol. I forget who made this for me, and for that I *sincerely* apologize).
  4. One I really like too (mostly for chuckles), but may require a change of name to greenLANTERN, or greenPUMPKIN. Or, I may use it in ColdMonkey forums (help us smite Beamhead while you're there ;)).
  5. Provided by B@rt, after tvodrd started calling me "punk" :D
  6. What I use on EDCforums.com - aka. "Phoenix Moderator" (made by LoWo)
  7. Kindly provided by ambientmind
  8. See this.
greenled12bh.jpg
greenled29ag.gif
greenledled6qr.jpg
greenpumpkin4jx.jpg
duckpunk3jo.jpg
CebhS.gif
duckkinkyqt1.jpg
indexxd6.gif
greenled12bhcopy.jpg
umrQq.png

Incidentally, all of these have been provided partially or in full by fellow CPF members :thanks:

PS. The Avatar Fairy may add your avatar, if you ask kindly and follow all of CPF rules. ;) Misbehave, and you'll get a ducky avatar. :lolsign:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: What's in your avatar?

i had a penquin as my av but i dont see it no more i have no idea why

Darell

Flashaholic

Might get some nasty replies since the avatars are still a bit wonky after the software upgrade!

I've had all kinds of stuff. A CPF buddy did this one for me and I thought it was pretty slick. Did ya look real close and notice that the smoke is even animated? That's my face in the foreground in case it wasn't obvious.

I'm just cool. Nuff said.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine is what I do outside of CPF. Plus it also gives me the chance for lots of camping trips when I can play with flashlights where there is some quality dark. Also, I have brighter backup lights on that rig than a lot of people's headlights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

The turtle is my only avatar. About ten years ago my son and I joined the Indian Guides program at our YMCA. It's kind of a Cub Scouts-Lite. Our tribe was the Ojibwas. I called myself Flying Turtle (actually part of a high school joke), and my son was Sunset Salamander. I painted the image of the turtle on one side of our portion of the tribes' totem pole.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I'm an animal lover and some of my avatars have demonstrated this. My current one (annoyed-loooking ostrich) was inspired largely by Raggie's "Man, whatever ya do don't buy an Ostrich" story, which still cracks me up when I think about it!
:laughing:

**Edit** Changed my avatar to a chipmunk with a teensy Streamlight headlamp :)

Last edited:

SJACKAL

Enlightened

I hope to have an avatar but I can't because CPF hadn't fix the Avatar issue yet. I would probably use the face of a pretty chic or a beautiful TV star I like.

GreenLED,

I think number 2 is real cool, you should use that one!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I used a photograph of a prototype Arc LS as my avatar.
I used it because, after all, I own one of just two of these prototypes known to exist outside the Gransee labs on the surface of this planet. :)

I've had this avatar for approximately one year; in the past, I've had avatars of a dragonfly, and of a photograph of me with green and cyan hair.

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

just me with R/O and RB flashlights up to my face....

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Just what is the Avatar problem? I see a lot of avatars in use. I must have missed something.

Ledean

Enlightened

My avatar just dissappeared with the upgrade. Can't get it back up.

Darell

Flashaholic

Roy said:
Just what is the Avatar problem? I see a lot of avatars in use. I must have missed something.
Roy - folks can't upload their own avatars yet. If avatars were too big after the SW change, they were removed, and there isn't yet a way to replace them. If you don't touch the avatar, then everything stays the way it was before the new SW.

vtunderground

Enlightened

My avatar is me exploring an old storm drain with stone walls. Lighting provided by a PT Yukon HL and a UK 4D Vectra, 15-sec exposure. Here's the other avatar I've used in other forums:

(same storm drain, Lux-III Mag mod, 10-sec exposure, go Hokies!)

jhereg

Enlightened

My avatar changes periodically. It varies quite a bit, but is always something I found & really liked. I like the statement my current avatar makes. :whistle:

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I have number of avatars:

acrd.png
b80.jpg
evilgrin80.gif
idleprocess.png
peace_80.png
tel.png
war_peace_80.png

Assassination City Roller Derby - I just liked the juxtaposition of a rollerskate wheel and revolver cylinder. And I live in Dallas - "the city that killed JFK!"

Barrell O' Fun - First-class irony there ... somewhere

Evil grin - shamelessly ripped from the smaller "graemlin"

Tach - I went all hardcore to create this - I drew it in AutoCAD (absolute precision!), took a screenshot, then scaled the screenshot down from ~800x800. It turned out quite well. Why? Look at it closely then look at my nickname...

Peace Through Superior Firepower - because you can't really argue with the concept

Evil Telephone - Because I work in tech support. Bonus points if you can name the reference

Jet Fighter - See the resemblence between the logo and a peace sign? Shamelessly ripped off from the cover art on PJ O'Rourke's hilarious book Give War a Chance. Also painstakingly constructed in AutoCAD before debuting in raster format.

Save for the "Tach" avatar, most these see rotating use underground.

I was going to rotate another set for CPF, but never got around to it...

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've changed the color of my avitar depending on my mood. Doesn't have anything to do with my 'handle', though, just a fun toy. I think I'll leave it alone for a while now that there are issues.

Somehow greenlight was available when I signed up. It was my first choice since I had to choose something to sign up. Tried to pick something common, yet symbolic, and incorporating elements of my interests.

Later I bought some green lights and have learned to love them.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

There are some neat avatars on teh board.

Mine's a picture of a 5 inch tall holograph of a pyramid. It's illuminated by a 5mm white nichia powered by a 6 volt wall wart and appropriate resistors. The holograph has become the center for displaying all my small lights.

Daniel

yclo

Flashaholic*

Mine's a photo of a Surefire A2, took it at the time the light came out. Thought it looked pretty cool, haven't changed it since.

-YC