Craftsman/Dorcy 2 AA

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
On sale at Sears for 3 days. Half price- $6.49. Just picked one up, but haven't opened it yet. I'm such a sucker for deals. I know it's a spot beam, but maybe I'll find a use. It does come with batteries and a holster.

Geoff

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad deal. I bought a couple when they were last on sale. Gave'em to friends to keep in their desks at work.

Tight spot, blue tint, decent throw at night.

Buying more today to give as Christmas gifts.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I didn't see the light on the Sears website, but it has been in the stores for awhile. If you get hold of the flyer for the 3 day sale from a newspaper you can see a pic of the light. It looks much the same as the 2AA 4LED Dorcy, except this one has only one LED and a focusing lens. The beam is alot like a Inova X1.

Geoff

Radio

Modulated Moderator
So....Is it worth the $6.95? I think so, gonna stop on the way home and pick a couple up!!

Flying Turtle said:
I didn't see the light on the Sears website, but it has been in the stores for awhile. If you get hold of the flyer for the 3 day sale from a newspaper you can see a pic of the light. It looks much the same as the 2AA 4LED Dorcy, except this one has only one LED and a focusing lens. The beam is alot like a Inova X1.

Geoff

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought several of these today. (OK, I cleared them out) I am going to give them to my buddies at work to use.

The flashlight is twist-on or momentary, like an inova X1. Same circular spot, although this craftsman projects a fuzzier image of the led, due to the less pure plastic optic. With two AA batteries one might expect a brighter light. The RiverRock 2AA from Tarjay is WAY brigher, but I imagine the craftsman light would last longer on a single set of batteries.

This is a disposeable light to me. I wouldn't worry about losing it or sharing it. The threads are smooth enough, but not like the inova X1. I probably won't keep any for myself, just give em away, because I like my X1 so much more..

The flashlight comes with a nylon belt holster and 2 AA batts. I probably will keep a couple of the holsters for my inovas. Maybe I'll ask the recipients if they want theirs.

I know that the people I work with will like the focused beam. For free, who would complain? A dorcy AA light with one or 3 leds would be about the same price, but smaller and with a flood style, and might be preferrable for gifts, since the focused beam is only useful or desireable to some.

The head screws off and the pcb/led is easily removed. It is a sideways pcb ala SS1aaa light, and appears to have some epoxy painted over part of it. Not sure how to extract the lens, it may be jammed in for good. There is a white plastic reflector which the led pokes thru- I plan to glo-paint the inside by putting the brush thru the led hole.

The battery tube appears to be reversable. If you like the rubber grip one way and not the other, you can switch the head and tail. I suppose a light could be made that was two-headed with this one.

George1

Newly Enlightened
I too bought a Craftsman 2AA light. Couldn't resist the $6.49 price less the 10% Craftsman Club discount. My initial comments are that the build quality is not too high. The tailcap is "cheesy." The beam is light bluish and not perfectly round. I initially thought that it might be a good "emergency" light given the stated battery life of 25 hours. Although for the less than $6.00, it is an OK light.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The construction isn't that impressive, and the tailcap IS cheesy, but nevertheless the flashlight has useable twisty mode and the tailcap DOES activate the light easily. It's a cheap light, but not unuseable.

Painting the inside of the reflector with glow paint gave a nice effect, and made the light visible all night.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Did a side by side with the Dorcy 2AA and no comparision, the dorcy wins hands down in all areas, I especially do not like how "dim" these lights are, I bought 3 and they are ALL identicle in beam and brightness, so at least they are consistent, guess it's OK for a $6 throw away but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, They actually offered them to me for $5 after $15 off for signing up for a new sears card, so 3 lights for 5 bucks after taxes, will cancel card after 1st bill, must be my fatwallet mentality at work