4-8 NiCad Cell flashlights question/idea.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many flashlights out there made by people like Streamlight, Pelican and others which use between 4 and 7 NiCad cells in series. These cells are usually Sub-C in size which are easily available in NiMH chemistry with much higher capacities.An example is the Ultrastinger using 5 cells to give 6V. (1/2 D NiMH cells for eg, maglite are made but are difficult to find). The charger which comes with these flashlights are designed to charge only NiCad chemistry. If you desire longer runtime like most if not all of us, you'll probably think of buying NiMH cells and charging them according to time hoping that you don't overcharge the cells.

Recently, chargers which can charge multiple cells which do not have to fit into a battery compartment in the charger eg, the Maha c777 charger, have come onto the market. I however, haven't seen any posts which mention using this charger and any like it to charge battery sticks of NiCad or NiMH chemistries.

Browsing through Amondotech the other day, I saw this charger at what seems to be a good price (compared to $77) and the idea came to me again... Can these chargers be used to charge NiMH replacement sticks for NiCad flashlights?

Yeah, it isn't as simple as it sounds. From what I've read, these flashlights usually come with a charging cradle/base and a dumb charger(simple DC power supply). Obviouisly the charger mentioned above wasn't designed to charge any flashlight so the adapter it comes with is useless. I was wondering if it was as simple as cutting the adapter from the dumb charger off and attaching it to the end of the smart charger using that instead? Of course polarity must be taken into consideration... If that option isn't possible, what about making a simple battery holder out of PVC or something and connecting the charger leads to the contacts of the stick with an aligator clip or the like?

I figure it may be better to buy a flashlight with cradle from one website, go to Wayne and purchase a charger with NiMH sub-C cells than to buy a dumb charger with the flashlight...

What do you guys think? Is my reasoning correct? Are there just too many problems to bother trying?

Thanks for any input.

eebowler.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
This works quite well. I use this system to charge 3.0 Ah NiMh battery sticks for my SL Ultrastinger.

A selection is available here: Battery Sticks

I use this charger:NiMh charger

The whole process is made much easier by building a custom charging clamp designed by CPF member cy: Charging Clamp

If you upgrade from NiCd chemistry to NiMh or Lithium, a new charger is almost always required. Make sure its voltage range matches your pack.

I was able to buy 2 3.0 Ah battery sticks and the parts to make the clamp for the same price as 1 NiCd 1.8 Ah battery from SL.

Mark

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 5 to 10 cell version of the universal smart charger. Its the simplest best charger i own. $29 and does all.