So my wife is a Crime Scene Investigation nut - what flashlights?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
She just absolutely loves that crap. I'm wondering what kind of lights to get her for kicks. I believe they use UV lights and blue lights. Is that correct? Any suggestions?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey KDOG3,

Get her a UV light. So the next time you two spend a night in a hotel you can gross yourselves out...

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
But always remember that blue and UV lights are putting out way more light than the eye and brain realize and I have seen posts from folks who really seem to know what they are talking about (rather than my rehash) saying that useing these carelessly may lead to macular degeneration.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Arc will issue a UV AAA someday. Try an autoparts store. I believe UV is used to detect refrigerant leaks. As for the macular degeneration comment, xochi is right, direct UV is harmful to the eyes. Do not look directly into the emitter. A tanning bed is essentially a bunch of UV emitters cooking your skin!

CLHC

Flashaholic
The Sandwich Shoppe sells some UV Aleph lights—albeit a tad bit pricey though. . .

turbodog

Flashaholic
The lights I have seen on there are:

stinger
ultra stinger
scorpion
either m3 or m4
couple of handheld searchlights

CLHC

Flashaholic
I think that LightHound sells the Aleph UV heads by themselves for around one-forty(?) if I'm not mistaken. . .

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the earlier seasons Gil Grissom frequently used an incandescent Streamlight Scorpion. Once I saw Warrick use an Inova X5.

In the later seasons several CSI Las Vegas characters use Surefire M4s, which of course is ridiculous for close up work. Just go ahead and use a Megaray :)

DonL

Enlightened
joema said:
In the earlier seasons Gil Grissom frequently used an incandescent Streamlight Scorpion. Once I saw Warrick use an Inova X5.

I saw Grissom with an X5 once or twice, too.

I've seen Brass with a smaller light, Scorpion or 6P type of thing.

In the later seasons several CSI Las Vegas characters use Surefire M4s, which of course is ridiculous for close up work. Just go ahead and use a Megaray :)

Yeah, the last thing they'd want to do is heat damage important evidence...

Which leads me to something particularly aggravating. Why fumble around with a flashlight all the time in dark crime scenes? Turn on the stupid lights, you dorks! Geez, I guess it's just not as dramatic...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Someone pointed out a very strange light that had a LED main-beam, some UV as well as video and voice recording capabilities :eek:oo: ... but was horribly expensive, and legit it seemed.
Unfortunately I lost the link.
bernie

Arc made an AAA-UV a long time ago (had one myself, but sold it) as well as an Arc4 law-enforcement kit or something like that ...

bernie

Another point: here's a shot of the Aleph19-UV vs the INova X5T-UV:

Aleph19UV019.jpg

... but please note that what you see is the reflected light off a white wall and not the true UV output, although they are of a relatively similar wavelength and it should be an ok-representation.

bernie

EDIT: the Aleph19-UV blows away the INova in output, throw and beam quality, and I think those sold at the Shoppe have a higher output than mine, but I am not sure.

OK ... now I have really finished :D

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the flourescing of bodily fluids...

Will they flouresce without adding any thing to the substance? On Friday night I was watching the new (mostly watching CPF, but half of me was watching the news), and they were showing some "home CSI kit", which they were saying could be used to find out if there spouses were having sex. I wasn't paying very close attention, but the man explaining had some chemicals that he said were first applied to the area in question and that after the application, any seminal fluids present would then flouresce. Is a catalyst really necessary to get the goop to glow?

unclearty

Enlightened
The easiest way to do this is....pick up a Dorcy AAA single led light...$7 at Walmart....open it and replace the stock white LED with a UV LED. Simple, easy to do...and works very well for under $10 total.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many crime scene shops have at least one set of these: Crime-Lite's from
Foster and Freeman. Set of 5. $3,000. Although there are now much less expensive versions that address specific wavelengths too. See CPF sponsor Xenopus Electonix.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean authentic to the show or authentic the real life CSI units?
The key to using a UV light is thee orange filter used to protect the eyes and allow the fluorescing material to show up.

If you really want to show up with somthing from the show I can tell you that they use surefire 9P flashlights a lot because of how the beam shows when they are in smokey rooms (the smoke is there on purpose to show the flashlight beams) Any of the stronger incan surefire flashlights would be nice.
If you want to get your wife somthing that she can use all the time then steer away from the UV lights, The UV novelty will wear off quickly. If you must have a UV light then look at the inova X5 at Lighthound.com they also have a number of other UV flashlights some are real bargains.
If you really want somthing totally authentic then look at ANY of the Surefire flashlights. I can tell you with a great deal of assurance that the entire surefire range of flashlights is in use with CSI and many other department sections WORLDWIDE. Take your pick you can't go wrong.

The surefire 6P is a good choice for a "full size" (2 x 123a). The L1 L2 L4 are all smaller sized 2x123a and are all wonderful flashlights. All of these might be in use by CSI type department sections.

Yaesumofo

KDOG3 said:
She just absolutely loves that crap. I'm wondering what kind of lights to get her for kicks. I believe they use UV lights and blue lights. Is that correct? Any suggestions?

balazer

Enlightened
unclearty said:
The easiest way to do this is....pick up a Dorcy AAA single led light...$7 at Walmart....open it and replace the stock white LED with a UV LED. Simple, easy to do...and works very well for under $10 total.
Even easier than that is to just buy a UV flashlight. There is quite a number of UV flashlights on eBay for $10-20 shipped, including a 12-LED 1-AA light that's decent, though not particularly high output for 12 LEDs. Advancemart has a 12-LED 2-AA light that's quite a bit brighter.

For some things to show in UV light, the wavelength of the UV light is particularly important. Most cheap lights use 390-400 nm LEDs. Check the application matrix:
http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/xeled/index.html

I'm personally hoping to get my hands on some cheap 380-nm LEDs.