Fenix L1P 2.0 vs 2.5? What's the difference?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I just received my Fenix L1P. This thing is amazing. After all the reviews, reading about it online, and seeing multiple photos i was still surprised by how small it was. This is definantly my new EDC.

But how do you know if its the 2.0 or 2.5 version?

:shrug:

iNDiGLo

rscanady

Enlightened
I believe the difference is in the drive currents, I think the V2.0 output was around 200mA, while the V2.5 is higher ~300-350mA I think??? I dont believe that the V2.0 is being sold anymore only the V2.5

Ryan

Kiessling

Flashaholic
v2.0 has the logo on the bezel and v2.5 on the body.

IMHO v2.5 negates the initially great concept of the Fenix as it reduces runtime and destroys regulation on alkaline AAs completely ... with not much gain in return.

bernie

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Here's a few pics of the one i just received in the mail. According to what has been said so far this is the v2.5. Agreed?

fenix1.gif

fenix2.gif

fenix3.gif

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
...IMHO v2.5 negates the initially great concept of the Fenix as it reduces runtime and destroys regulation on alkaline AAs completely ... with not much gain in return.
Oh, so true
frown.gif

lamperich

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
v2.0 has the logo on the bezel and v2.5 on the body.

IMHO v2.5 negates the initially great concept of the Fenix as it reduces runtime and destroys regulation on alkaline AAs completely ... with not much gain in return.

bernie

is there a runtimeplot made with the old version + LR6?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't compare the premium lights directly as I have one L1P v2.5 and one L1 (not premium) v2.0. If I put a fresh Energizer 2500 mAh in each and turn them both on, for about 45 minutes after the Premium 2.5 is very dim, the non premium light is still putting out a very good amount of light.

And in all honest, other than the difference in tint, I can't tell a difference between the outputs of the premium and non-premium lights.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as others have said, I think Fenix really had it down when implementing the driver in the v2.0 and then went and mucked it up with the 2.5. I have one of each and I really can't tell which is brighter on fresh batts, especially because they are quite different tints, but I'd expect the 2.0 would get an hour more runtime on each battery type (which is why it's my EDC). At least with the 2 stage mod, 2.5 only people can preserve the brightness for times its really needed.

Besides the driver and the logo location, the other differences are: Smoother mirrored reflector in the 2.5 (the 2.0 has fine concentric rings which atually smooth the transition between hotspot and spill a bit). Also, the antireflective coating in the 2.0 was changed due to complaints by customers in China; the 2.0 has a very noticable deep indigo glint if viewed from the side, the 2.5 has a much more subtle light blue glint.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
bernie
I totally agree. The v2.5 drive current increase was a mistake. The v2.5 is still a great light, but it was a poor design decision. The output increase was small -- almost unnoticeable visually , but the runtime cost was large.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder if you could take a 2.5 version and put a resistor inline to reduce the current down to the same starting level of the 2.0 version and measure the runtime comparatively. It would be interesting if the runtime was the same because then you could just buy the 2.5 and mod it into a 2.0 or 1.5 (if they would have made an even weaker one. The 2 stage tailcap mod could probably make a 2.0/2.5 version.

MrMom

Enlightened
A few weeks back I posted a current draw and lumen comparson between six fenix lights. Tested were 2-V 2.0, 2-V2.5, 2-V2.5P. Myfavrite of the bunch is the V2.0. I would post the link but as I am dong this from my phone somewhwre in Kentucky, I can't. Another CPFer iswelcome to do he link.

Robban

Enlightened
MrMom said:
A few weeks back I posted a current draw and lumen comparson between six fenix lights. Tested were 2-V 2.0, 2-V2.5, 2-V2.5P. Myfavrite of the bunch is the V2.0. I would post the link but as I am dong this from my phone somewhwre in Kentucky, I can't. Another CPFer iswelcome to do he link.
The Thread
The Post