mag conversions

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
So as part of my disaster preparedness kit, I've decided I'd like to get a couple decent flashlights in it. I carry an A2 so I think I've got most of my throw needs covered. When I was lowe's on friday I picked up a couple mag lights, a 2d and a 3d for $10 each. Not bad, I figure I can make them better than they are now. My main goal is to make at least 1, if not both, into high run time monsters with a ton of flood that I can throw some lithiums in and leave sitting forever. Something you could use for a few days in a house with no power, or in the yard to walk around. Regulated is a plus I think. Ideally at least as bright as the factory bulb. It looks like the everled might be a decent conversion there, even if its a little more than I was originally planning to spend. Anyone have any idea what the run times would be for it in either of those? Better suggestion?

How much would I have to spend to put together something that would really make my jaw drop when I took it outside and used it next to my a2? Is the 3d a good platform for that, or is that really a job for the 4d or bigger bodies. I'll probably just convert both of these to long run time models, but I might as wel start thinking up other fun things too :D

Thanks!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... running on lithiums throws a wrench into what I was going to suggest. I bought a couple of Wit's End's PR-base 5mm LEDs a while back. Some have circuitry to bump two cells up to a usable voltage and some have a buch circuit to allow for use with 3 or more cells. I got the 2 cell bulbs.

I LOVE these little guys! I have one of them in a uber cheapie Walmart plastic light with faceted reflector which I then sputtered for an even more even beam. On two cheap Walmart 2,000 mAh NiMH cells, I think I got about 18 hours before it was significantly dim - I can't say to 50% for sure since I don't have a light meter or light box. I also have another one of those bulbs in a 2D Mag (my first Mag ever... about 13 years old) and though I obviously haven't gone a set of cells, I'd imagine on good Energizer D cells, you'd get ~300 hours of use or more.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soybomb said: "...My main goal is to make at least 1, if not both, into high run time monsters with a ton of flood that I can throw some lithiums in and leave sitting forever...How much would I have to spend to put together something that would really make my jaw drop when I took it outside and used it next to my a2?..."

Achieving this on a limited budget is problematic.

The TerraLux Quadstar drop-in LED upgrade achieves your runtime goal, costs only $15, but output is only 16 lumens, less than the original D-cell mag:

http://www.pocketlights.com/terralux_quadstar.asp

The TerraLux MaxStar2 probably achieves all goals, but is expensive at $45:

http://www.pocketlights.com/terralux_maxstar2.asp

Likewise similar situation with EverLED.

For that price (bulb plus original light) you could buy a brand new Elektrolumens Blaster 3P, 72 lumens and focusable beam from spot to flood, very long run time, $49:

http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-3P/BL-3P.html

To get lithium batteries in a D cell light, you'd probably need 3AA-to-D battery holders, and use Eveready e2 AA lithiums. I think that would work, but it's yet more money for the battery holders.

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, thanks guys. It sounds like something like the quadstar might be the way to go. While 16lumens isn't all that much, I guess it really would be quite liveable for a long run time light in a blackout. Add a battery holder and I could throw some lithiums into it, toss it into the closet and forget about it.

VWTim

Enlightened
A DD single Lux 3 in that 3D maglight would fit the bil pretty nicely. I don't know if anyone's got a full runtime test out of them. I have a friend what stopped after 2 days continuous.

rscanady

Enlightened
Hmm yes I concur with the runtime that VWTim was referring too, as I believe I may happen to know the person. Plus its a nice "thrower".

Ryan

dougmccoy

Enlightened
It depends on how you view it I suppose but I actually run a 2D & 2C Mag's on Lithium C123's using a simple piece of plastic pipe as an adapter. The bulb was replaced by EverLeds's and I use 2 x C123's in each Mag. The input voltage is 6v and the runtime is so long you kinda loose track of how many nights it gets you through!

The real adavantage to this conversion for me is that if I couldn't get hold of C123's I could just remove the plastic sleeve (a few seconds) and utilise the original C or D batteries the light was intended for. In an emergency the option to utilise as many different battery types seems sensible?

EverLeds should outlast the Mag (if that's possible?) and maximise battery power due to their electronics. Yes they are quite expensive but they do a great job. The ubiquitous Mag's are easy to find and cheap, what's more they are easily fixed and dont appear particularly sought after by the lighter fingered members of the community! What's not to like about this conversion apart from the initial purchase price of the EverLed?

Doug

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soybomb, you should do something like the PocketMate (link in my sig file). Low current is 60mA, high is 1300mA. Large reflector for lots of throw and unfocus it for a great flood. You can't go wrong with a variable brightness unit like that.

wtraymond

Enlightened
I'd like to second the Lux III conversion.

I have a Mag 3D direct drive with a TWOK mounted on an o-sink. It uses three standard 'D' alkalines and will run provide usable light for 72+hours continuous. I performed a runtime test at work one weekend with fresh Energizer Maxs (not the best) and this light was still bright after three days.

I have a Mag 2D direct drive with a red G2GR on an o-sink that runs at least as long as the 3D but puts out red light.

If you must use lithiums, buy one of modamag's 2D- or 3D-to AA batteryholders with the batteries in parallel for direct drive or batteries in series with an nFlex driver from George at TaskLED. The nFlex will give you regulation and light level control with the stock Mag switch slightly modified to momentary 'ON.'

You don't need more than a 3D Mag to get monster runtimes.

jwl

Enlightened
wtraymond - Where did you get your o-sink(s) and your TWOK? I'm looking at doing the same thing to the two 3D mags I have.

Thanks.

VWTim

Enlightened
jwl said:
wtraymond - Where did you get your o-sink(s) and your TWOK? I'm looking at doing the same thing to the two 3D mags I have.

Thanks.

Check with the Sandwich shoppe. IIRC they had some T bin emmiters on headsinks, either O or Hot lips ready to go for a good price. $20 something?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have got to say that a 3D mag direct drive conversion is certainly the way to go. You can do this mod yourself for a very reasonable cost. Emitters are about $15.00 and the O-sink is about 11.00. I would use a UCL as well.

Run time? They will certainly last all night. The batteries self recharge a bit over the course of a few days.
I have also used and enjoyed Hotbears pocket mate. It is smaller and has an amazing beam for it's size. If size is important along then the pocket mat is a good choice.

I have made many of the mag LUX III conversions. I have put them into the hands of many people they have used and abused them. You will find that this is an industrial strength flashlight. The beam forged by the mag reflector is fantastic and adjustable from wide to light sabre tight.
It is fun to make too.
Enjoy.
Yaesumofo

pizzaman

Enlightened
To get lithium batteries in a D cell light, you'd probably need 3AA-to-D battery holders,

joema,

Any source for these 3AA to D battery holders? I've only been able to locate single AA to D holders.

Thanks, TR

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the Lux III Mag conversions are nice... total runtimes are good to know, but the more common 50% runtime is closer to about 7 hours on D cells and a TV1L (you'd get more runtime with a lower Vf - that's the last letter of the bin). Or about 4 hours on three C cells (which you can stuff into a 2D Mag body.

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
Any good 1 stop shops to pick up everything (I'm still trying to pickout what everything mentioned even is). It sounds like for the 3d I might want a lux 3 emitter, a heatsink apparatus of some sort, and probably a piece of quality glass to replace the plastic lens.

Is it worth doing it to the 2d model too, or would something like the quadstar be a more logical choice there?

Thanks guys, I think I'm learning!

lastdefender

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a 3-D Cell Maglite that I keep in my car that I have up-graded with this:
DB3W-100x82.jpg
TerraLUX 3 Watt Lambertian Luxeon LED replacement bulb for the 3 C or D cell Maglite.

Would I benifit from any other modifications to my light. I use the light primarily as a back up to my SL-20X and for traffic wand work at accidents. I have already had to use the Maglite as a primary light due to improper charging of the SL-20X in it's cradle. This can sometimes happen. Any modifications to the batteries would need to be "low maitenance" as I already charge one of my lights every day. I'd rather not have to charge two.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gary

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I also have the TerraLUX 3 Watt Lambertian Luxeon LED. I purchased it from led-replacement.com and have been very happy with it. I have it in my 3-D Mag and the output is (to my eyes) excellent.

C4LED

Enlightened
The PR bulb from a Sears Craftsman 3 AAA 1 Watt LED Tool Light will work well in a 3D M@g. It throws well (maybe more than the Dorcy 3D 1 Watt - which is pretty good). I've got this and the Everled. I prefer the Sears bulb for throw outdoors and the Everled for long runtime indoors during an emergency situation.

-----------
Craftsman 3 AAA LED Tool Light

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03493673000