ALL Fenix L1P owners...

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one of these yet (I will get one, but it may be a while), but I have some questions.

1. How do you carry your L1P? In your pocket or have you devised a pocket clip for it ? I would prefer a pocket clip, but I don't believe one is available for it, correct?

2. If you do carry it in your pocket, do you carry it with other stuff?

My concern is that it may turn on accidentally in my pocket (even though the switch is recessed) when it bumps into all of the stuff in my pocket.

When I get a L1P, it will be replacing my River Rock 2aaa as
my EDC which I now carry pocket clipped to the inside of my right front pants pocket bezel down.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kershaw

Enlightened
I own a L1p and i always keep it separate from coins, keys, etc because of the weak HA3 and keep it i my back left pocket. The supplied holster is pretty cool but i rarely wear a belt therefore it does not get used often.

pizzaman

Enlightened
srvctec,

I pulled the clip off my Gerber Infinity Ultra and slipped it on the Fenix. Nice fit, Great looks.

I wanted the fenix to ride low in my pocket, so I took the advice of a fellow CPFer and cut off the "ears" from the clip.

The clip now fits closer to the end of the flashlight. I mount the clip all the way to the switch end of the flashlight. The Fenix now comfortably rides out of sight, bezel down to protect the lens, always indexed, and quick to deploy.
Perfect EDC! :rock:

TR

rscanady

Enlightened
Carry loose in pocket with whatever else is in there, its scratched but hey its a tool right, not a shelf queen!

Ryan

paulr

Flashaholic
It takes quite a bit of force to press the button and you have to press from the right direction. I wouldn't worry about an accidental turn-on from junk in your pocket. At least I haven't had one yet.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec said:
I don't have one of these yet (I will get one, but it may be a while), but I have some questions.

1. How do you carry your L1P? In your pocket or have you devised a pocket clip for it ? I would prefer a pocket clip, but I don't believe one is available for it, correct?

2. If you do carry it in your pocket, do you carry it with other stuff?

Similar thread here :-

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99117

Some pouch it (like me), some pocket it, some clip it (gerber infinity clip). I myself am looking for a clip (maybe from a pen or marker pen of the same thickness as the L1P, assuming its a good clip).

L1P finishing, although HA, is known to be easily scratched up.

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
srvctec said:
My concern is that it may turn on accidentally in my pocket (even though the switch is recessed) when it bumps into all of the stuff in my pocket.

Thanks!

If you're worried about the light turning on, you can just unscrew the tailcap about 1/4 turn to disable the switch. I don't fight international assasins on a daily basis so extreme rapid deployment isn't a main concern of mine. I usually have time to tighten the tailcap 1/4 turn before I look for that spice container on the back of the shelf or the oil leak under a cowling.

jtice

Flashaholic
The switch is a reverse clickie,
so pressing the switch just alittle will not light up the light.
So you dont have to worry about something pressing up against it.

I would expect it to get scratched up some if you carry it in your pocket with keys etc.
But hey, as Ryan said, its a tool right? :)

~John

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I went out and got a latching belt clip from Walmart for about $2 and it slides over my pants without a belt on and stays tightly and I clip the plastic ring of the fenix holster into it. It can swivel on it nicely so it gets out of the way of things like seatbelts and chairs with arms on them if needed and I just slide the clip and holster off as a set when I am through with it for the night.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the switches on both of mine are reasonably stuff... not too stiff, but not super easy to inadvertantly engage. And as mentioned, just unscrew the tailcap a half a turn... actually about 1/8th a turn disengages mine.

I mostly carry mine in my pocketwatch pocket when wearing jeans and have used both the Fenix pouch and the pouch that comes with the Inova X1.

Ready

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the sheath that it comes with in my left rear pocket next to my wallet. I put a cotton ball in the bottom of the sheath for added padding and protection for the lens. I removed the velcro off the front of the sheath and tuck the flap inside, that way I can pull the light out without having the remove the whole sheath. With the padded sheath, I really dont feel it all.

Ready

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing really new to add, but just in case you are keeping score: the switch has never turned on by itself and I would count this as a non-issue; the River Rock 2AAA you are using, or many other lights are more likely to do so than the Fenix. I will soon be using this light in its 2 stage modded version and I expect THAT could be slightly more likely to turn on by itself (since there isn't much tension in the threads/O-ring), but its practically impossible to fully click the switch unless you want to.

As far as carry is concerned, each person has their own unique preferences. This light is tough and if it gets some cosmetic scars, its not a huge issue for me. The finish is still much tougher than type II. That said, I carry the Fenix loose in my right front pocket along side my wallet (which won't damage it); it fits there unnoticably.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The back of the included holster is a "D ring" which I attached a Berkley stainless steel gate clip. The L1P is my weekend EDC as I just clip it to a belt loop on my jeans (I don't wear belts on the weekend) It works well and I have paint all over it from last weekend... a shelf queen it is not.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry mine in the pouch, in my LR pocket beside my wallet and multi-tool.

Blades

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's how I carry mine:

l1p-h.jpg

It's a cut down AA MiniMag holster. I melted the cut end to close it...used the front burner on the kitchen stove...a soldering iron would work also.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
pizzaman said:
srvctec,

I pulled the clip off my Gerber Infinity Ultra and slipped it on the Fenix. Nice fit, Great looks.

I wanted the fenix to ride low in my pocket, so I took the advice of a fellow CPFer and cut off the "ears" from the clip.

The clip now fits closer to the end of the flashlight. I mount the clip all the way to the switch end of the flashlight. The Fenix now comfortably rides out of sight, bezel down to protect the lens, always indexed, and quick to deploy.
Perfect EDC! :rock:

TR

Thanks pizzaman,

That sounds exactly how I intended to carry it- clipped inside pocket bezel down and as low as possible. I wonder if the Gerber Infinity Ultra clip can be ordered separately (since I don't have one of those), either from Gerber or another supplier. I'll have to do some checking on that. As I said, I don't have the L1P yet, but intend to get one in the next month or two.

Geode

Enlightened
In the pocket, all by itself. The light is pretty slim and carries well.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am planning on putting it on my keychain, in place of my beautiful, yet underpowered terra lux aa chromestar. great idea about that clip from a pen.I am looking forward to comparing it to a 3 led AA Peak matterhorn, which I have yet to order.:naughty: