Any Scotch Whisky drinkers out there?

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Pick up a copy of Malt Advocate or try to find some back issues. Lots of good information.

As to water and/or ice -- in my experience adding a tiny bit of water can open up flavors and some tasters use a lot of water (up to 50%) to discern what complex flavors are present. That is for tasting purposes as opposed to enjoying a wee dram. Ice tends to numb the taste buds and prevents the complex flavors from being enjoyed. Ice in a single malt is generally a no-no.

I'll echo this, but sometimes if you add a teaspoon of water, it'll lessen the heat and open up.

For someone reading this and interested in "getting into" scotch, i have a solid recommendation. it is light and pleasant, Auchentoshan. Try it neat first, add a little water if its too much. Drink slow. Taste. Wait. Repeat. Enjoy.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Recently been drinking some 1988 single cask signatory bottling of Highland Park, and a nice 17 Old Pultenty. Had a nice peated Talisker at a friends place 2 weeks ago I loved

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Any Scotch whisky is better than the stuff Americans try to pass of as Whisky. :) (Ducks and runs)
Norm

Hey, wait a minute - my 'Ban' button is disabled ... Norm!! ;)
Seriously though, we just finished a bottle of Basil Haydens which is the finest domestic spirit I've ever had.

And I have one more drink left of Talisker but instead of finishing that off we're currently working through a bottle of Jameson (Irish Whiskey) instead.
Oops ... :banned:

BTW, if anybody is interested, there is also a well-aged thread on this topic over at the CPF/MP Wine-Cheese-Cigar Saloon:
Scotch Recommendations

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've been sipping on a bottle of Double Wood 12yr old by The Balvenie. It's really smooth with a hint of smoke. I'm not a fan of the super smokey and loaded with peat ones such as Lagavulin, it's possible that my 40yr old palette has not matured enough to appreciate it.

I also have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black that i finally got my mother in-law to give up after sitting in a cabinet for 25 years.
I picked up a bottle of DoubleWood a couple weeks ago and it just keeps growing on me more and more.

Think I'll go home and have a sip.

If you like the Black, you may want to try and find the Double Black and Green, both of which I think are pretty good - particularly the Green.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a bottle of DoubleWood a couple weeks ago and it just keeps growing on me more and more.

Think I'll go home and have a sip.

If you like the Black, you may want to try and find the Double Black and Green, both of which I think are pretty good - particularly the Green.

Glad to hear you like it. Lately I've been hitting my bottle of bourbon that I brought back from my trip down to Pennsylvania/West Virginia in July.
I think I'll clean up a few bottles of scotch that are almost empty to make room for new stuff :)

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
Any Scotch whisky is better than the stuff Americans try to pass of as Whisky. :) (Ducks and runs)
Norm

You clearly haven't tried this stuff (beats scotch by leaps and bounds!).

Basil Hayden's
bnyaweo.jpg

Norm

Retired Administrator

Basil Hayden's

The point is I do not like bourbon style whiskey, I'm sure if the Americans tried to make a Whisky in the Scotch style, I'm sure they could, just as Asahi has in Japan has done.

Norm

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Basil Hayden's
You clearly haven't tried many scotches. I like Booker's and have been through several bottles in the last year, but the Basil Hayden's was a big disappointment.

Now back on topic, had a friend over last night who doesn't care for any whisky take an immediate liking to Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

Solid Lifters

Enlightened
You clearly haven't tried many scotches. I like Booker's and have been through several bottles in the last year, but the Basil Hayden's was a big disappointment.

Now back on topic, had a friend over last night who doesn't care for any whisky take an immediate liking to Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

I've had plenty. Bourbon beats it by far.

I do like some scotches, though. The Macallan I posted earlier, for example, is my favorite.

Basil Hayden's has what I want from a fine bourbon. Wintergreen, wood, caramel, spice and smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooothness. :)

But, to each their own.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently enjoying two bottles of The Balvenie. The Signature (Batch #5) and the DoubleWood. And a bottle of Aberlour (not all at once). I am liking the Signature most. It may have been mentioned before but, for anyone new to malts the "Malt Flavour Maps" are charts (axis diagrams??) that may help give you a little idea of what you might like. After years of dedicated research:whistle:, rich and delicate is more to my taste.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've had plenty. Bourbon beats it by far.

But, to each their own.
You remind me of a guy I met last month who had tried every scotch on earth and hated the stuff, then went on to say that when he was in Scotland he'd gone into a place that had the best stuff on earth and that was really worth drinking.

In other words he hadn't tried everything and not liked it because what he had in that store too, was scotch.

Bottom line, as you said is to each his own, but when it comes to matters of preference, it's impossible to have a unanimous 'best' and when it comes to this thread, it's about scotch.

Bourbon's good too, but deserves it's own thread.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread with a link to my new whisky/whiskey analysis and review site: http://whiskyanalysis.com/

In particular, you may enjoy going through the whisky database, which tracks a properly-constructed metacritic score (based on statistical normalization), broken down along whisky flavour profiles (based on a cluster analysis of expert review flavour component descriptors).

Don't worry, there won't be a math quiz. ;) You can find a plain-language explanation of how to explore the databse here.

My goal is really to help people identify possible whiskies they may want to try, based on their existing preferences. Or if you want to venture further afield into styles you haven't tried, to start with whiskies that are well regarded.

Cheers! :wave:

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of Makers Mark bourbon. I dont know enough about scotch / whiskey as i do about beers or wine to really enjoy them as i should...

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Any Lagavulin 16 fans out there should definitely keep their eyes open for the 12 and Distiller's Editions - both incredible, especially the 12!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Lagavulin 16 fans out there should definitely keep their eyes open for the 12 and Distiller's Editions - both incredible, especially the 12!

I am not so keen on the distillers edition. Only tried it the once though.

thomas_sti_red

Newly Enlightened
Definitely a fan of Lagavulin.
Was on vacation in Scotland last month and bought an Aberfeldy 12y and 19y at the brewery. Very nice too. Even my wife likes the 12 and she's no whiskey drinker normally.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I am not so keen on the distillers edition. Only tried it the once though.
I didn't like it all the first time I had it, or the 12 for that matter, but I've noticed that many great scotches that I hadn't liked a couple years ago now hit my senses differently than when I first started getting interested in them.

Another one I didn't like at first: Caol Ila 12! Now one of my favorites too.

Got a bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas and it tastes like a Lagavulin more than a Laphroaig, very much like the 12, but with a notably different finish.

I've got many scotches I love, but only a few which have something magical to them and the Lagavulin 12 now joins Bunnahabhain 18 and Ichiro's Wine Wood Reserve. (I know Japanese whisky can't legally be called scotch, but really that's what most of them are)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Once you uncork and break the seal from a new bottle, how long does it last. I don't drink scotch, however we have a full bar at the house for our guests. We can make anything you wish.

But I never know how they last before they go bad and I don't want to serve stale liquor.

I was was married at St. Andrews in Scotland and we did our wedding photo on the Royal and ancient golf course! and the people were so nice they loved it. Hope to go back soon and bring scotches for out bar for people to enjoy.

Thank you,

NR