Battlestar Galactica: Season Finale. Who saw it?

• Thread starter Cosmic Superchunk
  • Start date

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Season Finale. Who saw i

Tonight is the night, just a reminder for those who cares to watch.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ooops, friday snuk up on me, luckily TiVO to the rescue and so I'm watching it 20 minutes delayed. Which is good actually, i can fast forward the commercials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Wow! I never did see the cliffhanger.

I guess it's a good thing they brought me up to snuff before starting the new episode!

I couple of very interesting twists I think....

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

[SPOILERS]

Okay,

Who wants to take bets?

Bet #1. Whoever was shooting at Callie, the Chief, and "Lt. Disposable" while on their mission to return the second medkit from the Raptor crash, who bets it's not Cylons, but some mysterious and paranoid humans stll living on Kobol?

Bet #2. The preggers "Caprica" Sharon "Boomer" Cylon, "stole" the captured Raider fighter, but is actually doing something that will help Starbuck and Hilo, to better prove her loyalty to Hilo/Humans, either for real, or as another phase in the "love experiment" the Cylons were doing to Hilo. It wasn't just to escape.

It looks like they're going to drag this story arc out a bit, so all my predictions look like it's too soon to tell, other than the baby hallucination #6 gave Baltar is supposed to be their own child someday, and they did have Racetrack say that Boomer got out of the Raptor on the mission to bomb the Base Star in orbit around Kobol, and she could have communicated their position. (Which she didn't, but still adds suspicion.)

[SPOILERS - END]

Okay, who here has a crush on crewmember Callie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Discuss.

loalight

Enlightened

Callie rocks, I gotta agree!

I thought it was a great start to the 2nd season, although the final scene was kind of a duh.

Do they need to train up some doctors, or what?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

the sleeper cylons seem to be in 2 groups. There are those that know what they are, like that first guy they caught, and then the ones that don't. Those seem to be the typical sleeper agent, completely unawars until they get the keyword or the activate transmission or whatever, and then they just turn off and do their thing and then wake up again. So it's entirely possible that the cylons that are "preggers" as you put it will do good things for them, and then turn around and shoot them in the back. but subtle treachery doesn't really seem to be their cup of tea.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

I think it's pretty certain that the human Cylons were devised by the Cylon AI's, master mainframe, whatever, as spies and saboteurs to make the seamless and final defeat of the Human colonies possible. However, I think it's likely we'll slowly learn that they were made "too human" and they have their own agenda, one that the more mechanical Cylons may not approve of.

That theory was initially kind of sketchy. No. 6's advice and help to Baltar, (at times that has saved the entire fleet, like at the Tylium fuel mine) could also be viewed as personal interest in her human "pet", or just plans to keep him alive and functioning to use him for continued sabotage. So you could view it either way. It was sort of up in the air. Then there was the final scene, where # 6 was talking to the male Cylon (the smarmy reporter/tour guide guy, I forget his name/number), about the love/loyalty experiment they were performing on Hilo, using the Boomer Cylon, and she turns away hiding her tears, presumably over her own relationship with Baltar.

I think the evidence that the human Cylons are not working in the interests of all Cylons was in the finale [SPOILERS] where Boomer manually set the bomb to blow up the Base Star over Kobol. In the landing bay, she runs into the multiple (nude, YUM!) copies of herself, who say "It's OK. We "love" you, see you soon…" yadda yadda, then just let her leave and blow up the Base Star.

Since the Cylons are robots, of a sort, they have unlimited time and energy to build as many Base Stars as need be, so expending one as a trick to deceive the Colonial fleet is plausible at least superficially, (They do so readily with individual Centurions and human Cylons), but to what end? What purpose does blowing up that entire Base Star serve, other than to aid the fleet?

That leads me to two possibilities:

1. The Cylons ARE trying to eradicate the final human survivors, but the human Cylons are acting as a fifth column, playing both sides, and are actually aiding the fleet in their own cruel way, to fulfill some kind of greater "destiny".

2. ALL the Cylons are in on the "plan", robotic and human, and are attacking and harassing the survivor Colonial fleet to strengthen them, or better them through a harsh Darwinian "trial by fire".

The third option, that both the robotic and human Cylons want to destroy the remaining survivors isn't possible. If that were true, why mess with the humans and "tease" them like that? It makes no sense at all.

The whole Moses and Book of Exodus parallels in the story are BLATANT, even more so than in the original Galactica. President Roslyn has cancer and "won't live to enter the promised land" i.e. Israel/Canaan/Earth. It's pretty obvious.

StanTeate

Enlightened

Who says that the pregnant Cylon is really pregnant? How can they confirm? Maybe the good ole doctor is a sleeper Cylon too. It seems the human looking Cylons have agendas other than the tin can ones, that the prophecy is programmed into the Cylons. I don't see why the Cylons would expend such vast amounts of resources on trying to eliminate the fleet yet they plant sleepers that don't seem to be able to complete the job, but rather seem to be bent on messing with humans minds. And why couldn't the Cylons come up with a Cylon/human hybred on their own.
Is is just me, or does it seem that if Cmdr Adama were a Cylon, then GAME OVER. That part of the story was just stupid but I'll still keep watching.

Brock

Flashaholic

I don't know I figured the cylons were letting the fleet go on so they can follow it and eventually find earth to kill all humans.

The part on Kobal where Callie and Chief were shot at was crazy, like the cylons would let them walk away. How come that guy wasn't wearing a red shirt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

Brock,

That's a good point that I had not taken into consideration! They're going to let the fleet find Earth to make the genocide complete. However, everything else that #6 and the guy the President had thrown out the airlock keeps saying about destiny and God and plans, still makes me think the Human Cylons have their own agenda that does not involve the complete destruction of the fleet.

If the Human Cylons want the fleet to survive so they can breed with them or "fulfill destiny" or whatnot, perhaps they're selling that idea to the robotic Cylons to keep the fleet around awhile.

Also, it has just occurred to me that the Human Cylons have a compelling interest in making sure the fleet survives. If the Colonial refugee fleet no longer exists, and all the humans were killed, the larger Cylon collective no longer has any need for the human Cylon models! Since they only exist to infiltrate, spy, and sabotage human populations. If they're no longer needed, they're headed for the scrap heap, and they're human enough that they want to survive. So by that logic alone, the Colonials and the human Cylon's fates are already entwined.

As to why you couldn't see who was shooting at the Chief, Sgt. "red-shirt" and Callie on Kobold I see three possible scenarios:

1. The shooters were Cylon Centurions, and they were just CGI'd in as muzzle flashes to save money. They didn't "finish the job" because it was an accidental contact rather than a planned ambush, and they actually got away.

2. The shooters were Cylon Centurions, and they were just CGI'd in as muzzle flashes to save money. They didn't "finish the job" because they're herding/following the Chief and Callie to find the rest of the party. Perhaps designed find Baltar and put him in "physical contact" (grrrrrowl) with #6 to make that baby she had him hallucinate.

2. The shooters were hidden as a plot device to keep from giving it away too soon that they are some, as of yet, unknown third party. Perhaps the shooters were paranoid human survivors from the original Kobold population. If they'd been exposed to Cylons, and especially the human Cylons, they'd understandably shoot any unknown "humans" on sight.

Brock

Flashaholic

AJ I am with you there. That is while the pure cylons might want to eliminate every last human, but at the same time by creating a hybrid so to speak, they opened a new can of worms. These new cylons will likely not follow the direction and cause all sorts of issues. And as you said if the humans are gone so will they.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Great ideas/comments guys - keep it going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wonder what will happen on tonights episode with the new metalic Cylons loose in Gallactice !!!

Will

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

Galactica is "short on Marines" since right before the Holocaust, she was being decommissioned as a museum, the fight against the Centurions might be difficult.

OTOH, depending on how many Centurions that boarding craft contained, it might be a tough fight, but everyone on Galactica that's capable of picking up a gun can get in on the action too. They certainly seem to have no compunctions about sending launch deck crew on away missions to strange planets, so opening the armory to everyone should not be a problem for Col. Tigh.

I'm guessing you'll see lots of television license taken here to keep the fight "interesting". The Cylons have no backup, they are outnumbered, fighting in corridors where the hatches and infrastructure are controlled by the humans, and unless you have heavy weaponry, in any kind of structure or corridor fighting, the advantage always goes to the defenders.

Also, unless they were disposable, and dying on purpose to help herd Hilo etc. Centurions still seem pretty fragile, when he and the Caprica Boomer were hiding in the diner, the one he shot up, and the other ones he blew up with the land mine earlier in the woods, came apart pretty dramatically just from his sidearm and small explosions. (I loved the way the other Centurion brutally pushed the shot one out of the way in the diner as it went after Hilo. It was very "Terminator" and merciless-robot-like.)

So if viewed with logic and consistency in mind, this fight shouldn't be too bad, but for the sake of interesting television I'm guessing it will be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least we should see some good CGI robotic Cylons in some major action getting blown apart.

I am also predicting that the purpose of the Cylon boarding party isn't primarily intended to take over or destroy the Galactica. Judging by the writing in the series so far, it's a diversion to accomplish something else.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

Battlestar galactica should have combat marines like the show Babylon 5. I really like that show. Babylon 5 had awesome special effects and combat scenes. Galactica special effects are kind of cheap and amatuerish. Galactica pilots and ship crew don't seem to have heavy weapons. They armed with little peashooter. What good would it do against an armored cyborg for godsake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic

True, but remember that the Gallactica was about to be decomissioned, so they lacked modern weapons, they were not even stocked/ready for battle, and they did not have a full crew. From that point of view, they are doing pretty good with what they have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that it is time for Galactica to raid Cylon weapons depot to obtain sophisticated weapons and upgrade its dwidling fighter units etc... It is a great idea. why did't the producer think of it. I should be directing one episode!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Does anyone on this forum has direct line to the producer of Galactica. I want to contribute my ideas. Those morons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif in hollywood just don't know how to write a good sci-fi movie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

They DO have combat Marines on Battlestar Galactica, the guys in the black BDU's with the body armor and all the web gear. They just don't have very many of them since the fleet is comprised of who just happened to survive the holocaust. The Galactica only had a Marine security detachment aboard (Like a U.S. aircraft carrier does), but it was a skeleton crew as the Galactica was about to be decomissioned as a museum ship.

The Colonials certainly did have heavy weapons, but since they're just lucky to be alive, and their sole protection is a half-decomissioned battlestar, they're lucky to have the ammo they got from the space station depot in the first episode. I'ts kind of like if the United States were wiped out, and the sole survivors were on the USS Intrepid just off of Manhattan, and expecting it to have working cruise missiles in storage. They're lucky they have anything to fight with. They do have some missiles and nukes, #6 goaded Baltar into asking for one for his "Cylon detector", and [Spoilers]they sent Boomer with one to blow up the Base Star from the inside in the first season finale,[Spoilers] But while they have heavy weapons, they're never going to have any more missiles and bombs than they do now, so they'd better save them for when they really need them. It's the same for the bullets, and the flak shield the Galactica defends itself with, or whatever the fighters shoot, but they at least have more of them.

I'm not sure if we watched the same Babylon 5? I liked lots of the ideas in Babylon 5, you saw stuff like occasional realistic vacuum/zero-G manuvering, centrifugal "artifical" gravity on space stations and some ships, and the inside of such a space station where the parks, buildings, and ground curve up into the "sky". Stuff I admit you've never seen anywhere else on a show or most movies, but the CGI was pretty crude at times. Much of it barely looks better than "The Last Starfighter" from back in the 80's. And often, the interior set dressing looked as though it was supposed to be "Miami Vice in space", and didn't match a futuristic, or even a late-90's esthetic at all...

However, the CGI on Galactica is way more photo-realistic, and in the case of the space shots, barely looks like it's CGI at all. The only "weak" CGI, has been some distance shots of robotic Cylons outside, colors and light values didn't match the backdrop perfectly, but it was no worse than just about everything that's CGI in you're average episode of "Stargate SG1".

That's not a completely fair comparison to Babylon 5, as the state of the art is always improving, and animators can draw on past experience, but there are design choices and direction that have an impact too. Babylon 5 often looked too much like a overly colorful video game, and always seemed to have a bright neon nebula and three planets in the background for visual interest.

If you look at NASA footage and pictures from the windows of manned space craft, you barely ever see anything in space other than stars, and not even then if the sun is in view, just black sky, and the one planetary body you're near, usually the Earth or Moon. Asteroid belts are usually one or two asteroids at a time, the rest just looks like empty space, even when they're "close" they're too far away to see. It's never a "cloud of rocks" like on Star Wars or Star Trek.

I also love the way they show scale and distance in space on Battlestar Galactica. The way they use distance and jerky "hand held" camera angles to show how fast and tiny fighters are against the Galactica and Base Stars, or even when they pull away from the Galactica to show how tiny even it is against the infinite backdrop of space. There's none of this "capital ships 100 feet apart and nose-to-nose ready to use things more powerful than nukes" like on Star Trek. If you've ever been on an airliner, think about how tiny stuff like skyscrapers and large ships are, and that's just a few miles away. Such scales are infinitely worse in space, and the directors are giving you just a taste of that, and don't just compose shots and battles to make sure the screen is full of pretty stuff for every single frame. That sense of scale adds a lot to the feeling of the show.

And if you've ever seen the footage of the 1960's nuke tests the US Navy did in near space in the Pacific, BSG has even got the color of a nuke going off in the vacuum of space right. The purple-white camera flash with purple plasma streaming away as it cools is precisely what it looks like.

http://www.atomicarchive.com/Photos/LANL/image45.shtml

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

agree on the CGI, it's fantastic. The only CGI I don't like are the mech cylons. The way they walk is supposed to make them jerky to look heavy maybe? but it just looks fake cause they don't seem to move as if gravity matters to them.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, maybe I had to much to drink but I just didn't get it, (this episode) Please explain this episode! One beer shouldn't warp this series.