Battlestar Galactica: Season Finale. Who saw it?

• Thread starter Cosmic Superchunk
  • Start date

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Season Finale. Who saw i

Just a couple of quick things.

Things that annoy me:

1) They can't seem to decide if the tin-can Cylons are hell on wheels or slow and dumb. Pick one please.

2) We have to assume the Cylons are technically more advanced that the humans, esp. compared to the old technology on the Galactica. Given that, how is it that the human fighters have a higher kill ratio?

Things I like:

1) The music. They tend not to pair dramatic music with dramatic action. The contrast is a great effect IMO.

2) The "humanity" of the humanoid Cylons (consider Boomer, consider the guy they stuffed out the airlock, etc).

3) The humanoid Cylon's fixation with God.

In general, I think the series runs hot and cold. At some times, it can be plain cheesy. Reference Starbuck flying the Cylon ship (I actually don't think the plot was bad, but the way they did it... tugging on tubes and all that.). And at other times it can simply be incredible. Remember the time they were doing a jump every 30 mins? Edge of the seat stuff and constant reminders that they were on the edge of the abyss and that every mistake could push them over?

Most of the time we are somewhere in the middle. I get the impression that the show isn't popular enough yet to give them the budget to really "do up" every episode so they have to budget things around. For example, you see the effects are somewhat minimal in general, but then they might do it up a bit for the end of the season. BTW, I think (in general) the effects are great. The shots of the capital ships engaging are breathtaking.

Oh, I forgot one last thing I hate about the show... Waiting for the next episode!

-john

wquiles

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
John N said:
Oh, I forgot one last thing I hate about the show... Waiting for the next episode!

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there is one thing that I hate even MORE - the commercials. What I do is that I record it on my PVR (same as a TIVO) and then FastForward all of the commercials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I recorded the show last night - I am looking forward to watching it today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Just a couple of quick things.

Things that annoy me:

1) They can't seem to decide if the tin-can Cylons are hell on wheels or slow and dumb. Pick one please.

2) We have to assume the Cylons are technically more advanced that the humans, esp. compared to the old technology on the Galactica. Given that, how is it that the human fighters have a higher kill ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. The Centurions are either easy prey for a pistol, or they have a Terminator-esque unstop-ability.

It is a glaring hole, however, it's kind of hard to write a show with dramatic interest if you don't have some give-n-take like that.
The stories where one side totally dominates another aren't all that interesting, and that's obviously the point of a TV show, to be interesting.

For example, you don't see nearly as much attention paid to the two Iraq wars, if you don't count the insurgency, the U.S./Coalition forces defeated and overran the entire country twice in 13 years within a matter of days. There might be a time-factor, but if you look at the preponderance of documentary footage and movies/fiction devoted to the Gulf Wars vs. WWI, WWII, and Viet Nam, it's miniscule. Conflict where the outcome is more evenly matched, or in doubt, just makes for better drama.

A classic example is the Borg from the Star Trek universe. The writers made an amazing, frightening and implacable enemy that was defeated by pure chance and luck at the last moment. Then, the writers didn't know what to do with them, by that logic, if two cube ships turn up, and "rotate frequencies" so an away team of plucky Starfleet officers can't beam over the series would be over! Almost all of Starfleet was destroyed by one single cube ship, and the Borg are rumored to rule almost 1/4 of the galaxy. Suddenly, you see all sorts of nonsensical stuff like the Borg kid destroying the collective with newfound emotion and individuality, and special individuals like the "Borg Queen" in the movie, and boobs-of-nine from Voyager, which negates the entire faceless decentralized homogeneity that was originally the Borg's trademark etc.

But then, that series is full of holes. The transporter was invented because the original series didn't have the budget for enough plywood and Christmas lights to make a shuttlecraft the first season. Unfortunately, it's another fix-all solution that's really too powerful for good story telling. If in the Star Trek universe if E truly does = MC^2, then the dissipated energy from one crewman who fails to rematerialize is enough to melt a PLANET. They could put the leftover crumbs from Capt. Picard's croissant on the transporter pad, and use the energy to power the Enterprise for thousands of years. With the transporter they can cross into parallel universes, make evil and good twins accidentally, reverse disease and age, and even jerry-rig it for suspended animation for 75 years, (RIP Scotty). With tech like that, and it's only one example, and it's unrealized potential, you have a series that descends into absurdity quite quickly. (Why not just transport away pieces of enemy ships? Or just transport a bomb on board instead of an away team to steal the super-special iso-linear blue anti-spin veteron whatzit?)

You always have holes like this to keep the action interesting, but so far, Galactica seems to be doing a better job than most. If the Centurions and the Raider fighters being a bit hit-or-miss in terms of their combat efficacy is the worst hole the series suffers, I can live with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

When will new season begin??

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

It already did, the second show was last Friday.

Luckily, like most cable stations, they repeat a lot, you should be able to catch up quickly.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Picard,

If I recall correctly, at least on Dish Network, the SCI-FI repeats the new Friday night epissode on Monday night. Worth checking out of you missed Friday's episode. Since they give you a 1 minute summary of the last episode, if you catch Friday's (2nd epissode of the new season), you might not be in bad shape to see it from now on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Here on cablevision, the repeat I try to catch is Monday nite (tonite!) at 11 pm EST. Only got the last 15 minutes on Friday...

daloosh

richpalm

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Things I like:

1) The music. They tend not to pair dramatic music with dramatic action. The contrast is a great effect IMO.

2) The "humanity" of the humanoid Cylons (consider Boomer, consider the guy they stuffed out the airlock, etc).

3) The humanoid Cylon's fixation with God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things *I* like:

Tricia Helfer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Rich

gorn

Enlightened

The first season will be released on DVD tomorrow. (7/26/05). It is the U.K. edition. I'm not sure, but I read that the only difference between the U.K. and U.S. versions is the U.K. leaves in scenes that were censored out in the U.S.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Re: BSG Season 1 UK DVD

[ QUOTE ]
The first season will be released on DVD tomorrow. (7/26/05). It is the U.K. edition. I'm not sure, but I read that the only difference between the U.K. and U.S. versions is the U.K. leaves in scenes that were censored out in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet Baltar and #6 were in every one of those scenes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, I admit, I don't have a complete grasp of what the limits in the cafe are, so I might be going out on a limb here...

Has it occured to anyone else that the cheapest and easiest "Cylon Detector" is good 'ol "doggie style"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

loalight

Enlightened
Re: BSG Season 1 UK DVD

[ QUOTE ]
AJ_Dual said:

Has it occured to anyone else that the cheapest and easiest "Cylon Detector" is good 'ol "doggie style"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, YES, it had!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
They run opposite "regular" TV. So they have a summer season with the new shows, then a break then in Jan they start some more new shows, where most networks run a fall and spring season, with summer and mid winter being repeats.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
They seem to have split the series. I have all the first season episodes on disk (13 IIRC episodes), season two was only 6 or 7 episodes, that was the one where Galatica met up with the Pegasus. This is a parallel line to when in the original series the Pegasus was "found". I did not care for the way the season 2 ended, but I figure it was done that way so when the second part (season 3 opener) starts, some things will be resolved.

I have been taping and grabbing the episodes then putting them on DVD (6 episodes per disk. I really like this series, but at times it does move slowly.. Part is that unlike the original series, there is NOT people scattered around the universe with different 'huminatarian' issues that need to be resolved. I also like the militarastic feel to the new show.

Jeff

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
@%!$#&*@(@()#&*#^%#&!@(! Sci Fi Channel!!!!

As I was watching the second to last BG (days later!) I saw that the finally was 1 hour after the episode I was watching.

*&^&^%$%$^%$#@@$#$% Tivo!

I have a season pass to it and other stuff, and three thumbs up and Tivo STILL didn't get it!

ARGH!

Brock

Flashaholic
Weird. I did the same thing, started watching it and saw the previews of the second part and thought, oh no. I jumped back and looked, and sure enough tivo had caught it.

I wonder why it caught it on mine and not yours.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
So who is going to be watching the start of the new season tomorrow night? I'm will be and looking forward to it.