Can someone help me fix my PCs sound?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I hate to have to even bring this to cpf, but I have exhausted all my other ideas. I reformatted the hard drive on my moms computer and got all the updates, software etc. But I have been completely unable to fix the sound. All the other PCs I have reformatted using XP have done this automatically.

I am guessing what I need is a sound driver. The system I am working on is an HP pavilion 540n Win XP is my op. system. I have tried both the stock set of speakers and a set from my old computer and get nothing. There appear to be two options for speaker plugs in the back of this computer. One is of course the factory where there are 3 ports, and this computer appears to have a sound card (another port by itself with a picture of a speaker on it). I would prefer to use the sound card, but at this point I may be willing to settle for what I can get.

Thanks

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Open up the case and look at the sound card. See if you can tell what make/model it is and write down anything written on it that might identify it. Then look for the driver on the manufacturer's website - it should be available somewhere.

You should be able to tell if it is a driver problem by going to the Device Manager in Control Panel>System - see if there is a device listed with a question mark or other indicator that it is not installed properly. This can help confirm it is a missing driver issue.

If you need a hand identifying the card, let me know what you found written on it, or take a picture and I can try and help. Also let me know if you need help installing the driver or whatever.

Good luck, I know these driver issues can be frusterating.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a picture of the back of the computer, and post it. That should help to give us a better idea of what components are installed.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the speakers are plugged into the motherboard's onboard sound, then you will have to activate it in the BIOS. IF you plug the speakers into the sound card, then you should deactivate the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Go into the control panel and go to the device manager. Look for the sound card and see if there is any yellow error symbol next to it.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to Control Panel , Speakers , check volume and make sure they are not muted .

I have a Dell keyboard that has a mute button , right where you grab it to pick it up - thumb hits it.

Mine always gets unintentionally muted that way.

Egsise

Banned
When was the last time the sounds worked?
Do you use original HP restore CD with all the needed drivers, or normal Windows XP CD?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the Realtek audio driver.

The 540n uses the SiS650 chipset. That audio driver is found here.

One of those is going to do the trick.

If that doesn't work, follow these instructions.

If that doesn't work, try downloading this file and putting in in your system32 folder

Start > My Computer > C Drive > Windows > System32

Restart.

Ok I may be in deeper trouble than I first suspected.
I tried to use the download for the AC'97 audio driver, and installation failed. It said something to the effect of "Installing this may destabilize your system" I tried it anyway and the computer bugged out and shut off.

Because I used an off the shelf version of XP and not the HP restore disc I don't have the option the second suggestion.

And without a driver I knew it was a long shot but I tried the system32 file as well with no luck.

When was the last time the sounds worked?
Do you use original HP restore CD with all the needed drivers, or normal Windows XP CD?

I was told the sound worked before I reformatted, but I am not positive.

I contacted HP and spoke with a live representative, after quizzing him to find out if he was actually a real person (WOW turns out it is an actual rep.) He went through a few processes with me that failed. HP rep stated they do not even possess the driver I need because the computer is more than 5 years old.:ironic:.

He says that my best alternative is to purchase a PCI compatible sound card and install it. So I guess my next question is where is the cheapest place to get a PCI compatible sound card?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely look around on Newegg. They will probably have the best prices around.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There appear to be two options for speaker plugs in the back of this computer. One is of course the factory where there are 3 ports, and this computer appears to have a sound card (another port by itself with a picture of a speaker on it). I would prefer to use the sound card, but at this point I may be willing to settle for what I can get.

Thanks

The 3 ports are microphone (IN), line (IN/OUT) and speakers (OUT). If your PC has an internal sound card there must be another same 3 plugs. Are they?
Have you try to check the BIOS setup?
As other fellow said before you cannot use both sound cards.
Probably one of the reasons why your sound program failed had to do with this.
First of all you have to choose if you want the sound from the motherboard system or a PCI card. Otherwise you'll never be able to get sounds cause PC/OS doesn't "know" wich hardware has to do it.
I would carefully check and fix this point before buying a new sound card.
Post your results.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Try this:

Go to Control Panel and double-click System
Click the Hardware tab
Click the Device Manager button
There should be items marked with a red "X" or yellow "!" or "?"
What items are listed with these icons? List them, along with the icon type/color.
Now double-click each item with a red "X". On the window that opens, there will be a drop-down selector that says "Do not use this device" -- change it to "Use this device" and click OK.
Double-click each item with a yellow icon.
Click on the Details tab and you should see the text "Device Instance ID" -- write down the information shown (the whole line). Should look something like this: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0877&SUBSYS_158C0000&REV_1020\4&39FC9A20&0&0001

You can copy and paste this information into Notepad to save you from writing it down.

Now post each yellow-icon item here along with the information from the details tab. Like this:
Unknown device
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11AC&DEV_0877&SUBSYS_158C0000&REV_1020\4&39FC9A20&0&0001
Disk controller
PCI\VEN_137B&DEV_2423&SUBSYS_17481C7B&REV_01\4&259F26C0&0&01A4

The details info will let you or anyone else find the correct drivers nearly every time.

da.gee

Enlightened
What is your source material? CD or MP3s? If no CD sound could be a connection between CD-ROM and sound card. Back in the day an actual wire connected the two. If all audio sources won't play likely driver problem or actual hardware failure. Could be as stupid as the jack not working. Definitely check in Device Manager and let us know what's there.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try this:

Go to Control Panel and double-click System
Click the Hardware tab
Click the Device Manager button
There should be items marked with a red "X" or yellow "!" or "?"
What items are listed with these icons? List them, along with the icon type/color.
Now double-click each item with a red "X". On the window that opens, there will be a drop-down selector that says "Do not use this device" -- change it to "Use this device" and click OK.
Double-click each item with a yellow icon.
Click on the Details tab and you should see the text "Device Instance ID" -- write down the information shown (the whole line). Should look something like this: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0877&SUBSYS_158C0000&REV_1020\4&39FC9A20&0&0001

You can copy and paste this information into Notepad to save you from writing it down.

Now post each yellow-icon item here along with the information from the details tab. Like this:
Unknown device
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11AC&DEV_0877&SUBSYS_158C0000&REV_1020\4&39FC9A20&0&0001
Disk controller
PCI\VEN_137B&DEV_2423&SUBSYS_17481C7B&REV_01\4&259F26C0&0&01A4

The details info will let you or anyone else find the correct drivers nearly every time.

Here is the list of items I found in device manager under Sound devices and videogame controllers.
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Drivers
MPU-401 compatible DIDI controller
Multimedia Audio controller (This is the only one with a yellow icon)
Here is the code from details
PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_806A1043&REV_A0\3&61AAA01&0&17

Standard game port
Video codecs

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
First install the Microsoft UAA driver from HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...softwareitem=ob-47284-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Then install this one from HP:
http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php?id=155808

Then this one from Realtek:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You can find quite a bit of info by Googling for this string:
PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_806A1043&REV_A0

LMK how this works out...

HI tsmith,

I downloaded and installed these programs as you suggested. The system did not crash this time when I installed the AC 97 driver, but it still failed.
In device manager it says "This device cannot start" (code 10). I tried uninstall/reinstall and the result is the same.

Thank you for you continued support and ideas.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
The last time I reinstalled Windows, I installed the wrong audio driver the first time. When I installed the correct driver, it wouldn't work. But I was able to fix the problem. Here's the advice I gave to a guy with a similar problem (he had a Realtek chipset as well). It worked for him, but YMMV. :)

1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, video & game controllers. If you cannot remove the device, try disabling it first, then retry removing it.
Now for the part that had me stuck:
3a) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers
3b) Click on the Properties tab
3c) Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
4) Restart Windows and retry the installation.

You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well.

Actually, thinking back, I *skipped* installing the MS UAA Bus Driver. It may be necessary for your PC though. I'd try it first without it. Just go straight to the Realtek driver install:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/...&GetDown=false

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I reinstalled Windows, I installed the wrong audio driver the first time. When I installed the correct driver, it wouldn't work. But I was able to fix the problem. Here's the advice I gave to a guy with a similar problem (he had a Realtek chipset as well). It worked for him, but YMMV. :)

1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, video & game controllers. If you cannot remove the device, try disabling it first, then retry removing it.
Now for the part that had me stuck:
3a) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers
3b) Click on the Properties tab
3c) Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
4) Restart Windows and retry the installation.

You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well.

Actually, thinking back, I *skipped* installing the MS UAA Bus Driver. It may be necessary for your PC though. I'd try it first without it. Just go straight to the Realtek driver install:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/...&GetDown=false

Stil got a crash.

tsmith I certainly appreciate your time, and if you think there is a real chance that the issue can be resolved I will certainly still try any ideas that you have, but I also am looking at my other options so am am wondering it a card like this will do the trick?

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Tell me more about what happens when it crashes. Does it take you to the blue screen of death, and if so what is the text shown? i.e., filename, actual fault text, and technical information (number after "STOP:", numbers in parenthesis, message on last line). If it's not taking you to a BSOD, what is the error message shown?