CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for joning the team AuroraAlpha. :thumbsup:

Not sure how the laptop graphics work with F@H. I would defer to the Nvidia section at Stanford:
http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=52&sid=cfdd5de4907244c32a1823be5ec02f1e

Hoggy-

Maybe one of these might have the necessary tidbits

http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?p=2&os=2&id=25&show=1
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/05...nfiguration-automation-ubuntu-debian-rhel-fc/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome

Hope you get it ironed out. :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
using the linux smp client now used Stanford instructions had some issues with root darn ubuntu stinks they dont let ya log in as root its folding now but slowly

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! I have it working under Kubuntu now!
Still only command line, and still manually, but at least it's running(FINALLY! :sleepy:). I'll be looking into making it more automated now.. (The Kfolding GUI package from the Ubuntu repositories is still nowhere to be found - even though Adept says it's installed. (Even tried reinstalling it a couple times.))

However, unlike the Windows version, there seems to be no way to control the percentage of processor(s) being used - making it hard on a laptop machine. My laptop's secondary fan is on almost all the time when I run it.
Soooo... I'll likely only run it when I'm right in front of this computer, so I can monitor it.

Raggie33 - does the Linux smp client allow you to set percentages for your CPU's? My laptop is a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 with HT(HyperThreading), so I'm not sure if it's capable of using the 'FULL' SMP stuff.. I don't know if HT is considered to be true SMP??

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think smp means more then one cpu or like a dual core cpu or quad core but im confused as hect .in the advanced options i think it let me choose between idle and low percentage

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, SMP means more than 1 CPU - it stands for Symmetric Multi-Processing. Those dual and quad cores are what I believe/understand to be real SMP machines.

But don't be ashamed at not knowing for sure! Technology is growing so fast these days it's too easy not to know/care about various things.
Hell, I gave up on understanding memory modules between DDR1,2, and 3 - which I think 3 just came out.. Do I know the difference between them all - hell no! :drunk: I figure: Why bother anymore, it'll all change again soon anyways.

But yeah - the regular Linux client allowed me to choose between idle/low also.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) Happy you have it figured out. Windoze is a fairly painless install and run process by comparison. Those running Linux on multi core CPU's, the work units will complete faster.

Welcome z96cobra to CPF's F@H team. :clap:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
:) Happy you have it figured out. Windoze is a fairly painless install and run process by comparison. Those running Linux on multi core CPU's, the work units will complete faster.

how many points per day do the high end nvida cards get per day per card like a gtx280.i entered a contest to win one i know i wont win or doubt i will but i wonder how many points they get per day

AuroraAlpha

Newly Enlightened
I finished one of the work units, but I think my system is running at a painfully inefficent rate because it took something like 60 hours. Its a QuatroFX 570M (Also known as a 8600GT with different drivers). Should it be that slow? Might try the screensaver one, but the GPU as it is going won't be practical.

I have an old desktop with the short lived Pentium D (two single core P4's on one chip, but with a smaller transitor size). Does Folding@Home use integer operations or floating point? If its the first then the system will be useless, but the second is actually not that bad compared to most modern Core2 units. Only problem is that running it 24/7 is still around $200 a year in electricity, which might be a little much for what I assume not much performence.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 8600 level GPU has 64 stream processors, the more the better like the GTX 280/5 series with 240 stream processors. When I was running the 8600GT card, the GPU work units at the time took about 8-9 hours to complete. These new 5902-4 are huge so the 8600 will struggle with those. Stanford usually assigns appropriate WU's for lower level cards to crunch on. Do you know which project it was working on?

As for the CPU side, the regular work units will not pose a problem for the old Pentium chips. The SMP would be too much. Might be a bit slow to the new cores out there but I don't know how long it will take to crunch through. If you are running the basic console client you can check the step times for each 1% completed. This will give you an idea. On a laptop, this is a pretty strenuous workout.

Thanks for helping the CPF team, every bit counts. :)

AuroraAlpha

Newly Enlightened
The 8600 level GPU has 64 stream processors, the more the better like the GTX 280/5 series with 240 stream processors. When I was running the 8600GT card, the GPU work units at the time took about 8-9 hours to complete. These new 5902-4 are huge so the 8600 will struggle with those. Stanford usually assigns appropriate WU's for lower level cards to crunch on. Do you know which project it was working on?

As for the CPU side, the regular work units will not pose a problem for the old Pentium chips. The SMP would be too much. Might be a bit slow to the new cores out there but I don't know how long it will take to crunch through. If you are running the basic console client you can check the step times for each 1% completed. This will give you an idea. On a laptop, this is a pretty strenuous workout.

Thanks for helping the CPF team, every bit counts. :)

In the log file I found:
Log File said:
Project: 5904 (Run 2, Clone 115, Gen 4)
(Assuming thats the project :D)

With 8 hour projects I could easily do 2-4 a week mostly while at class and still turn it off at night which would be a nice compromise. Might get the old machine set up in a few weeks, but its currently hiding in a different state.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
5902, 5903 and 5904 are 1888 pointer work units...those will take time to crunch through.

This is the project listing:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

The more points the unit, the more involved the calculation and time involved. The 57XX units are quite intensive and so any of you running these, monitor your GPU temps. The 59XX are quite mild but with the 57XX I've seen my cards get to 72C. Some report higher so make sure your system has good airflow to keep them cool.

z96Cobra

Enlightened

I'm trying to get as many going as I can! What kind of setup are you running? I've got a C2D6600 (2.4GHz) and 4 gigs of RAM and an 8800GTS. I also put it on 2 other machines I have running. Looking at your numbers, I'm guessing you have an SLI setup?

Roger

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for bringing more to the game. :twothumbs

Mine are 2 single card GPU systems:

Box#1: AM2+
Asus M3a79-T Deluxe
7750 Kuma 2.8GHz
EVGA GTX260 C216 @ 720, 1550, 1120

Box#2: 939
MSi K8N-SLi
4200+ OC'd to 2.6 GHz
EVGA 8800GT base card @ 710, 1800, 980

Built this one up last night to replace the 939 system:

MSi K9A2 Platinum
5600+ Windsor
EVGA 8800GT Akimbo

(I fried the mobo on the AM2 rig so the parts were transferred from that system.)
This box will run two 8800GT cards once it is dialed in. Maybe end next week.

cmcs1.jpg

cmcs2.jpg

cmcs3.jpg

cmcs4.jpg

cmcs5.jpg

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened

Yup - installing&running it on a Windoze machine is more than easy. I think we should get on Stanford's *** about making it easy for Linux too(like a GUI, for starters)! They keep on saying they're going to do it on their website! We should hold them to it somehow!
:poke:

I still wonder about a machine that says 'hyper-threading'.. Is that true SMP or not? (Like my P4-HT laptop.)

r_x

Newly Enlightened
I have added 10 CPUs to this project for the CPF team. This Sunday I hope to add my brothers PS3 also. I have completed 2 WUs already and a few more machines will be finishing soon!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your contributions to the CPF team. :twothumbs
That's a good number of CPU's...must get hot. ;)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I remember when I was very actively pursuing F@H, then I kinda dropped it in favor of energy efficiency by having my machines going in to the lowest power modes.

I'm still folding for team#4 www.overclockers.com though. In the end it's all for the greater good.

Latest posts