CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had I known there was a CPF team, I'd have joined, but I'm already attached to my own points! I started my own one man team. I'm still way up the ladder, but I was hoping, to eventually at least break into the top 10,000. Right now, I'm at spot 198583 (and dropping). I ran F@H on my old laptop, but, because I tended to run a lot of other stuff, and because my laptop was an old 1ghz P3, it just starting getting in the way, too often. I got a new system, though, and have been running F@H for the past couple of months. 43 work units complete, so far. I wonder, can I add my work units to the CPF team? (not sure if I want to, though, as I'd like to see how far down I can get.)

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately points aren't transferable. So long as you turn the points in as a specific user name long term with same team, your ranking among the project will show. We'd lie kto have you join the CPF crew. :)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I think about it, I've really only been paying attention to my user ranking. That's what the 198583 was. My team ranking is 24479. So, I guess, my user score and ranking won't change if I start turning in my points to the CPF team. Ok, I'll join!

Edit: Ok, so I just changed my team number. However, if I change my user name to my CPF name (currently my name, MarioChiaramonte), will my work units, points and ranking remain with my old user name, or will they come with me to my new user name? I think, they'll remain with my old user name. So, I guess, the CPF team will be a bunch of guys with handles and one regular guy! Edit2: Nope, just checked and there are other regular guy names! (although, I don't see mine on there. (why not?)) Edit3: Ok, I guess, I don't see myself, because I haven't completed any work units for the new team. I should show up with a big fat "1," tomorrow. (although, I'm not certain of this!)

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. :)

Your user name is up to you, using your CPF screen name makes ID'ing easy for other CPF Folders. Completed work unit points will contribute to your current team and user ID.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
F@H signature image.

This is the tutorial for adding the F@H stats to your signature line. Those that add this to your sig line, please abide by CPF's sig guidelines of 500 by 175 pixels or 48.8 KB (whichever is smaller).

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/?nav=IMAGES

This is what it looks like and there are user defined variations to customize:

sigimage.php

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im thinking a leavening cpf folding.just because we have so many members but so few fold

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. :)

Your user name is up to you, using your CPF screen name makes ID'ing easy for other CPF Folders. Completed work unit points will contribute to your current team and user ID.

The completed work units will only contribute to my current user ID, if I keep the same one, though, right? If I changed it from MarioChiaramonte to Trashman, won't I be starting from scratch? Also, by current team, you mean CPF, right?

Edit: Hey, I just checked and I'm on the board! My work unit must have been worth a good amount of points, because I jumped to #48 out of 55, despite having less work units completed than some of the other CPFers. Cool!

Edit2: Darn, it looks like the new team makes my user score start over for that team. I should have used Trashman! That's what I'm going to do. There is now, a "MarioChiaramonte" and a "Trashman" on the CPF team (although, Trashman won't show up, until tomorrow (or whenever I complete the next work unit, which I'm 40% done with.) Can MarioChiaramonte's points be transferred to Trashman or will I forever remain on the roster twice (under different names?)

Last edited:

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
im thinking a leavening cpf folding.just because we have so many members but so few fold

Umm.. Huh?

Are you saying that there are so few CPF'ers folding that you would rather fold for some other team? If that's the case, I can understand.

But no matter who it's for.. Keep on foldin', man! You'll know when to loose 'em. ;)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at active vs. non-active folding members can be discouraging. Of the teams there are about 30% active members so there are many not contributing. On the CPF team because there are so few, your points contribution is significant.

Folding for a big top team like [H]ard OCP
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=33

They throw a lot of hardware into the game. To get on this team page, the donator would have to break 29K PPD. As Hoggy mentioned, it is a worthy cause so whomever you contribute for, it is appreciated. :)

We're moving up the ranks and by my projections, we can make it into the top 300 teams within the year.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Trashman is on the board, but he's got a ways to go to catch up to MarioChiaramonte! Darn! Oh well, time goes by fast, and I rarely shut my system down.

Hmm...I wonder, could it be that the work unit of Trashman wasn't valued as high, because it's his (mine, under that name) first one and that MarioChiaramonte, depite it being his first one for the team, had already completed 44 units, and so go one valued at high points? If that were the case, it might be better to switch back to MarioChiaramonte!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can add/build up another F@H rig so that both names are active. :D

If so inclined, a Crossfire capable mobo for 4 video cards (Of course GTX 295's) and a quad core CPU. Run the 8 GPU's off one CPU core, then use the remaining 3 for SMP. All in one box/heater. ;)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can add/build up another F@H rig so that both names are active. :D

If so inclined, a Crossfire capable mobo for 4 video cards (Of course GTX 295's) and a quad core CPU. Run the 8 GPU's off one CPU core, then use the remaining 3 for SMP. All in one box/heater. ;)

If money and space weren't an issue, I'd probably do that, just so I can be a real competitor. My wife, however, thinks my small form factor Dell Optiplex 755 is too big, and thinks it's a waste of energy to use the toaster oven (versus the gas oven) or the crock pot (also, versus the gas oven)!

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ill never cathc up with ya guys i see some of ya have 4 or 5 systems going i only have a old q9300 on a cheap mobo i got free with the cpu

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just switched back to MarioChiaramonte, but am still folding for CPF. You know, when I switched to Trashman, I was noticing that my previous WUs completed showed 33, but I knew I had already folded 43. I thought, well, maybe I was wrong. So, I'm looking at my user stats and I'm thinking, hey, I never folded for F-T-L, I was folding for my own team, TeamClearMountain (my last name means "clear mountain," in Italian). Also, I noticed "Trashman's" latest WUs were folded for another team I'd never heard of--something like "Solom." It occurred to me, hey, there's another Trashman! I guess, I could put CPF-Trashman, or something similar, but, I guess I'll just stick with my own name.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,

Your points contribution is appreciated. It is the end result of the science these Folding efforts support. Every contribution is a step closer to understanding what occurs in the diseases Stanford is researching. Personally, I would love to dedicate more to this project but we all do what is within our comfort range.

For F@H efficiency, GPU based processes are the easier way. If you have a PCI-e video slot open, an 8600GT $35-40 pre-owned will bring about 1,800 points per day. An 8800/9800GT $100 will bring about 4,800 points per day.

There is a great deal of discussion on efficient GPU cards available:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4709

The work units change so it makes the points dated but this will give the basics.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just switched back to MarioChiaramonte, but am still folding for CPF. You know, when I switched to Trashman, I was noticing that my previous WUs completed showed 33, but I knew I had already folded 43. I thought, well, maybe I was wrong. So, I'm looking at my user stats and I'm thinking, hey, I never folded for F-T-L, I was folding for my own team, TeamClearMountain (my last name means "clear mountain," in Italian). Also, I noticed "Trashman's" latest WUs were folded for another team I'd never heard of--something like "Solom." It occurred to me, hey, there's another Trashman! I guess, I could put CPF-Trashman, or something similar, but, I guess I'll just stick with my own name.

Your twin is out there. ;)

Team FTL was banned because the F@H program was attached illegally to a Torrent file that thousands DL'd and ran. It automatically installed itself so the "donators" had little idea their systems were running F@H code. It was a worthy cause but the method was a no-no.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Raggie,

Your points contribution is appreciated. It is the end result of the science these Folding efforts support. Every contribution is a step closer to understanding what occurs in the diseases Stanford is researching. Personally, I would love to dedicate more to this project but we all do what is within our comfort range.

For F@H efficiency, GPU based processes are the easier way. If you have a PCI-e video slot open, an 8600GT $35-40 pre-owned will bring about 1,800 points per day. An 8800/9800GT $100 will bring about 4,800 points per day.

There is a great deal of discussion on efficient GPU cards available:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4709

The work units change so it makes the points dated but this will give the basics.
wow thats insane ppd for a video card that cheap i watch tech shows every week on video cards and such a new one came out but i forgot all the detail but it seemed cool i think it was built on 45nm process

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps on one pc can i fold with a cpu and gpu at the same time.i do admit i like the low watts of my pc at the wall socket my pc pulls 85 watts while folding thats useing a kilawatt meter to measure it

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your twin is out there. ;)

Team FTL was banned because the F@H program was attached illegally to a Torrent file that thousands DL'd and ran. It automatically installed itself so the "donators" had little idea their systems were running F@H code. It was a worthy cause but the method was a no-no.

I wonder how long that went on for, how much work was completed, and if there are still a bunch of zombies out there folding? (and if their folding is being utilized.)

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
ps on one pc can i fold with a cpu and gpu at the same time.i do admit i like the low watts of my pc at the wall socket my pc pulls 85 watts while folding thats useing a kilawatt meter to measure it

On single cores it is challenging. It will likely slow one of the Folding processes so completion time will not be as productive. With a dual or quad, no problem. With quads there are many different ways:

One core can run the GPU's and the other three for SMP or that can even be divided with 2-SMP processes on 2x2 cores. The current GPU work units utilize so little of the CPU these days, maybe 2%. The CPU can then be run at varying priorities for the regular work units or SMP if dual core+.

CPU based Folding is slower but with an efficient CPU can be wallet friendly. It's pretty relative...in terms of electricity used. From discussions I read, the GTS 250 is a nice balance in points, cost and energy efficiency. System power draw is somewhere in the 350W range under load. (That is balancing a reasonably efficient power supply, into this.)

As the manufacturing die process shrinks, energy efficiency improves. What the old 8600 card does in terms of wattage draw, a more current card may draw similar power figures but yield more points. Many areas to ponder. ;)

Latest posts