Do you use the lanyard hole on your lights?

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
I would love to use my lanyards more often, but mostly they're just too annoying. I'm forever putting them on and taking them off, and not just for flashlights. With the lights they get in the way of holsters/sheaths.

What I would like: a strong lanyard "system". Two pieces, with a quick release between them. The first piece attaches to the gear, has different styles of gear connectors (like loop, clip, split ring, etc.). Second piece is the lanyard, various lengths, for around thumb, wrist, neck, whatever. The "quick" release can be a screw type, so it can be smaller but have good "pull" strength, or the squeeze-type maybe if it's made with good strong type of plastic so it's not huge. Lanyards can be quickly transferred between gear and small "gear end" piece doesnt get in the way so you can always leave it on.

Somebody probably already makes this (??), but this thread got me thinking about my personal lanyard issues. I like the lanyard concept, but the typical current implementations don't much suit me.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
Yeah Flail, sorry for the spelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I suddenly have this sick mental image of two SF E2Ds and their lanyard holes being used as nunchucks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

*runs away to dunk head in water to wake up from the nightmare*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
These look nice.

http://www.brightguy.com/detail.html?sku=CHI111088

chilanyard.jpg

CraigF

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those ^. It has two connectors on the lanyard, but otherwise is identical. It's meant for my access card at work, but you know what I want to use it for... The split ring part (on mine) is too big to fit in the recessed posts and small holes on some lights and other gadgets. Now if they could shrink the whole connector and split ring part to about 1/4 size...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nekomane said:
How about these CraigF..
keychain.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used those for 25 years for nearly all of my lanyards! They are wonderful. Those are the QD key holders I mentioned earlier! While that one looks aluminum, mine are chrome plated brass. (I was mistaken in my earlier post when I said SS. While they are available in SS, they are hideously expensive that way. I will change that reference in the above post.)

They are cheap and available at many hardware stores in the States. They are small and very strong. I have really abused them over the years. When they finally fail it's usually the ball bearing in the 'male' part that gives up. I have a 'female' half, attached to a webbing loop, which I have used continuously for 15 years with lights/knives/tools -- and it's still fine. (This is the setup I use to carry my Spyderco Copilot every day. The wrist lanyard is just the right length so that the knife 'hangs' in my front pants pocket without wearing a hole in the bottom.)

If you have a half dozen of these of the same model you can attach the 'males' to various lights, tools and knives and just use the same 'female' on your belt to snap onto, no matter what you are carrying. You may sew the extra female halfs to backpacks or any jacket pockets where you may want quick access to a light but may be afraid that the light might be lost there without some kind of added protection. Below is a horrible picture of the female part of a QD rig sewn into the inside breast pocket of an old black sportcoat that I used to run sound and light shows in. The light was very secure that way but still accessable. It normally wouldn't show at all but it's flipped out of the pocket for the picture.
qd_fm.jpg

My earlier post about the high quality cordage that dress shoe laces are made of applies here. The round laces fit very nicely into the holes of these devices and are very easy to change out when they become worn.

One note: There are a few different models available so find one that you like the looks of at a reasonable price ( $2-3 ) and try one out for a while. If you like it, go back and buy three or four more just like it so if a 'male' fails you can just swap it out without having to also change out the one attached to webbing loop for your belt. As I said, models vary and they're not interchangeable between models.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Where do you get the "hideously expensive" SS version? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This sounds like something I might need if it's not too astronomically priced.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Peter Atwood said:
Where do you get the "hideously expensive" SS version? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This sounds like something I might need if it's not too astronomically priced.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a while since I've seen them. Every time I've noticed them it has been in a catalog. I recall seeing them offered in more than one place over the years. Seems to me that they were $20-22.

I'm sure that it would be a kind of techie, outdoorsy, dude sort of catalog. Think Eddie Bauer, REI, Cabellas, Herringtons, Brookstone, and places that cater to folks who dive and fish in salt water. Maybe Google Catalogs.

EDIT: I nosed around a bit and I found an SS version for the "hideously low" price of $2.95! And it's Swiss, ya'll. It may be ordered here. Go Figure.

Thanks for the NightCutter thread a while back, Peter.

Screehopper

Enlightened
Yes, I use lanyards, but only on my lights I use for scuba diving. That would be the UK C8, Pelican Super SabreLite, PT Tec40, and PT Aqua Flare.