Fenix LD30, LD41, LD50

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD50

not feeling the LD41. I love my LD40 and have no problem with the polymer body. wonder if it'll still be a thrower with the XM-L?

If it's anything like the PA40, I'd say not really a thrower. At about 8,000Lux with SMO.
I still like the look of the PA40 over this, by far. Also, it already has slightly more output.

I am very curious how the LD50 compares with my S65.
If JetBeam made a 6xAA that had a slightly wider PA40 tube I'd be the happiest. Especially if it was dishing out 700ANSI.
The PA40 was one of my favorite lights of all time.

The LD50 looks heavy. Wonder what it feels like in the hand. And its size.

DanaC

Newly Enlightened

Looks like the LD 30 and 50 are one and two-battery versions of the same thing. Look kinda thick for AA's.

low

Enlightened

I thought I read where the LD30 used 3 AA and the LD50 6 AA batteries.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

I thought I read where the LD30 used 3 AA and the LD50 6 AA batteries.
You're right, they do.

I also think they look a little thick and heavy.
When they are released we can see the specs to know for sure.

firelord777

Enlightened
I like both ld40/41 lights, but the 41 does look a bit, weird from it's neck, but it's body looks cool

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I like both ld40/41 lights, but the 41 does look a bit, weird from it's neck, but it's body looks cool

They did it probably to tailstand. I Also agree with everyone else.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
My biggest concern with the LD41 is the tint. I have been looking at the LD40 and LD25 because of their R4 warm/neutral tint. If its an XML T5 I might, and only might, consider it. Otherwise, I think Fenix should found a way to keep the old body style and make it out of metal...

The LD50 has peeked my interest though. Depending on the price tag this may be a good alternative to the TK41 for those who don't want to touch the triple digits for a light. Also wondering about the tint and how focusable it is. That would make a well rounded outdoor light collection, LD25, 40, and 50 :naughty:. I like that Fenix is expanding their AA line. It's kinda hard to pick up some C123's at Bob's gas station or charge your 18650's in the woods.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
One thing I like about my Olight S65, is the tint. Much better then my TK41/PA40 I had. It's much more on the neutral side. I also wondered how the tint would be with this Fenix light. I was also looking at the LD25 but since I have my S65 I decided to pass.
I just emailed Fenix when they'll be released. I'll post back when I get a reply.

bon1

Newly Enlightened
I'm very interested on a Fenix TK41, but I just came across this thread that I somehow managed to miss until now. I do not know anything about the Fenix LD30, LD41, nor about the LD50. So could you guys, please, tell me how all these lights compare to the TK41? As I understand it, LD and TK are different series of lights, which I guess are made for different purposes, but what this different purposes are?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
As I understand it, LD and TK are different series of lights, which I guess are made for different purposes, but what this different purposes are?

My limited understanding of it is that the TK (tank) line of lights was design to be very robust in the construction. Basically to be able to put out a lot of light and take a tremendous beating. The LD line is Fenix's AA line of lights. While I am sure that they are quite tough themselves, they were designed to be bright, multi-mode lights that ran off of AA batteries. Where as the PD line is the same design aspect for lithium primaries. The LD and PD lines of lights are EDC or general use lights designed around certain battery types. The TK line is designed for something along the lines of police use. Tough, bright, weapon mountable, that type of thing. Also the TK line seems to be the premier line of lights made by Fenix, their biggest, baddest, brightest line of lights.

These new LD lights seem to be based off of more performance than they were before. I was going to say that the TK41 would be much more of a thrower light than any of the LD series, but I don't know how tight the LD60 will focus down.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
L stands for Luxury, P for Power, E for Economy and TK should stand for Tactical. Tactical lights usually are more robust, has forward clicky single mode actions and are usually throwier.

ico

Enlightened
TA was for tactical and TK for tank

Those pics look like taken from the box itself, where did you get those pictures?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
From what I have been able to gather on the internet, pictures and basic info was available about these lights at events/conventions. Other than that I haven't really found any literature on them.

What interests me is this photo
37_a0831331372436f0d49251a43d6a5.jpg

(image is from flashlightmania.com)

It looks like Fenix might still produce the LD40 as well as the LD41. It would certainly be nice if Fenix kept up with their neutral R4 lights. Besides, having more options is always a plus. I'm sure the LD41 is going to cost more to produce being that it is made out of more expensive materials. Perhaps they will keep the LD40 as a cheaper option in the 4AA set up.

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, but are grips like that of the LD41 easy and comfortable to grasp?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I don't know about the buttons, I haven't seen enough pictures of the tail to really get an estimate. But I would think that it would be like the TK35 in regards of the body. A lot of people say that the TK35 is fairly comfortable to hold. It just seems to match the shape of their hand when they wrap their fingers around it. I know that the old Streamlight ProPoly 4AA was very comfortable to hold and to keep a hold of.The problem with holding the old ProPoly was reaching the switch, I had to turn the light sideways to do it.

What is going to really make or break this design is the tail cap. If the tail cap has crenelatons deep enough to easily reach the buttons then it should be fine. If you have to do a lot of reaching around the end of metal to get to a recessed button then I for see a lot of people complaining about it (including me).

But then again, that's a very personal thing. A lot of people like the switch on the JetBeam BC40. I don't, not at all. I can't really get enough leverage on the button to use it really fast with out causing myself a lot of pain. I have to have the large U shaped crenelations on a light, so I can fit the middle joint of my thumb in to use the switch. I can't really bend my thumb with that much force, it causes more pain then I would like to deal with for turning on the flashlight. But that may be different for you, or anybody else for that matter.

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Let's see what Fenix will do in the AA world.
Im currently happy with my Olight S35 and happier with the Sunwayman M40A XML.
If it will be compact i will give it a try for sure.

CyberCT

Enlightened
So the LD41 is not neutral white then? If Fenix is saying 650 OTF lumens with a neutral XML-T6, I think those stats are believable.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I don't think that it will be a neutral, that was just wishful thinking on my part. I think they took the head off of the TK21, added some crenelation, and gave it 6v worth of AA batteries.