Fenix LD30, LD41, LD50

CyberCT

Enlightened
I don't think that it will be a neutral, that was just wishful thinking on my part. I think they took the head off of the TK21, added some crenelation, and gave it 6v worth of AA batteries.

Lame. I'm starting to dislike cool white. Too bad it's so hard to mod the TK35 (get the head apart). I think my PD31 is my current favorite compact light (I modded it with a neutral XPG-R5)

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Is the JetBeam PA41 really coming?
Didn't hear any news on that, because of I did I was loose complete interest in my own thread in a flash.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD41

nb9bbl.jpg

igoman

Newly Enlightened
What was wrong with LD40 shape? They should only change the shape so the LD41 would be able to table stand, now look at it. Who is going to carry this ***** in his hands!

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
What was wrong with LD40 shape? They should only change the shape so the LD41 would be able to table stand, now look at it. Who is going to carry this ***** in his hands!

Agreed, the PA40 is awesome. No need for the change. jetbeam pa42 be please be released soon to show up this mandingo of alight!

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
You know, lumens are not everything. I have lately been looking at getting some lower powered lights with solid quality and UI's. The Fenix LD40 fits that bill and I suspect that the LD41 will too. the PA40 has a terrible UI in my opinion. Forward clicky is an awful to switch modes. But to each there own on that one. And as someone who uses their lights, the only time I need that much light is when I am on duty and it's my safety at stake, or if it's an emergency situation at the house. I.E. dogs being attacked by coyotes, someone breaking in, fire, etc... But to be honest, how many times does something occur where that amount of light is detrimental. I don't know... it's late and I'm tired so don't mind my ranting. I just feel that the LD41 is getting some undeserved hate here. I know it's fugly, but, to me so is a Glock. But a Glocks pure, brilliant function makes it the second most beautiful handgun in the world to me. Followed only by my Colt 1911. But, you know, to each there own.

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
Agreed, the PA40 is awesome. No need for the change. jetbeam pa42 be please be released soon to show up this mandingo of alight!

No PA41(42) yet! I JUST bought the PA40 and I can't give in to flasholicism yet!

I love the idea of the LD50. I'd like to see more 4+ AA lights.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
No PA41(42) yet! I JUST bought the PA40 and I can't give in to flasholicism yet!

I love the idea of the LD50. I'd like to see more 4+ AA lights.

I am just wondering where the evidence is that there will even be one. I love the idea though, but I have found no other information on it then what's been said here on the boards. If anyone has any information regarding the PA41 I'd love to hear it.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Anybody have further information about LD50. I'm at the edge of buying an Olight S65. I don't want to miss the good price I found on S65 but I really must know that LD50 isn't much different than this. It is a zoom light as far as I understand, right?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It is a zoom light, it puts out 650 lumens, it runs off of 6AA, and judging from the photos it has a tail switch. Now here is my speculation as to the feature that the light will have based off of previous Fenix lights. It will have four modes, probably 8 lumens, 100 lumens, 300 lumens, and 650 lumens. It will have SOS and an oscillating strobe. The tail switch will incorporate a secondary mode switch, that will either be on the end of the light next to the power switch or somewhere near the end, for one handed "tactical" operation. It will not be able to run off of Li-Ions. It will loose lower modes when run with Li-Primaries, atleast until the voltage drops to ~1.2. It will be regulated and have a flat runtime while being designed to work primarily with NiMH batteries. There is a chance that it will have a bit of a greenish tinge to the lower levels of output. The lower levels of output will be current controlled and have no PWM. It looks like the body of the flashlight will be built along the line of the the TK40 and may even be as tough. It may, and I stress may, tailstand based off of looking at the tail. There is everything I know and guess about the light. If anybody has anything to add to that concept please feel free to do so. I think I read somewhere that the LD50 will be released sometime this quarter. But don't quote me on that because I don't know for sure. As far as price goes, your guess is as good as mine.

I don't want to miss the good price I found on S65

So then get the Olight and then save up for the Fenix as well:thumbsup:

EDIT: Disclaimer, everything beyond the first sentence in this posting is speculation and is in no way meant to be taken as fact for what the light actually will be. Just what I think it may be.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I guess this is a close guess. Thanks a lot for your opinions. Ld30 you described looks just like the light I offered on Fenix'es 'new light' survey done last year.

New LD30 and LD50 have TIR optics. These could be the first XML + TIR + zoom lights ever. S65 looks decent already. I hope LDs appear soon. But if they will have a body as thick as a TK4x body they may still be bulky for their length.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Assuming they keep the body construction of the LD50 the same as the TK41, the diameter of the flashlight body would be reduced from 1.70 inches in diameter to 1.36 inches in diameter. This is just barely smaller than the size of a D-Cell battery, not a D-Cell flashlight but the battery itself. This is also fairly close to what I consider the perfect size flashlight to hold.

My favorite flashlight, in terms of size, is the Maglite to C-Cell. To me at least, it represents the perfect, most comfortable diameter to loosely grasp or swing in self defense. It is the easiest on my hand to hold for long periods of time and all other pluses. The Maglite measures in a 1.13 inches in diameter. That puts the LD50 0.23 inches bigger than the perfect sized flashlight for me. That is assuming that they keep the construction of the battery carrier the same and that they keep the thickness of the aluminum walls the same. So it may be thinner (or thicker) because those measurements involve a fair amount of assumptions, but it should be decently close. So I guess you should just find your favorite sized flashlight and measure its diameter and use that as a comparison to see if the LD50 would be too big or too small for your tastes.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have further information about LD50. I'm at the edge of buying an Olight S65. I don't want to miss the good price I found on S65 but I really must know that LD50 isn't much different than this. It is a zoom light as far as I understand, right?

I have the S65. It puts out 660ansi with a much more nutral tint. The LD50 looks heavy and doesn't look compact at all. The S65 is slightly shorter then the PA40. And much brighter. I had them both. Fenix is not offering anything I don't already have. Plus not a fan lf thier tints.

EDIT: Sold my S65, I missed my PA40 much.

Last edited: