Incans are ideal for Halloween

fulee9999

Enlightened
I think the candles and ghosts connection is the thing where people light a single candle, go into the bathroom with the lights off (obviously), then stare at their face in the mirror to try to summon a ghost.

I read some very interesting articles not long ago which described the resulting phenomenon. Apparently it's a real thing. In very dim lighting, and staring fixedly at your own face in the mirror for a long time, your brain does something weird and tries to "fill in the gaps" I guess, and you see a distorted version of yourself, often something horrible.

It's similar (I think) to that slideshow thing you may have seen several years ago online that had well known celebrity faces popping up in each image, but the image was split down the middle and a different celeb was on each side.

Apparently, the viewer ends up seeing a wildly distorted mash-up of the celebrity faces. It goes back to the "missing info" phenomenon. The brain is viewing the combination of two well-known faces but as they blip by at a rapid pace, the brain tries to fill in the missing half from each person and produces a distorted result.

Anyway, that's my random tangent for the evening.

And NO I will NOT be trying the dark bathroom mirror ghost thing. Ever. My dreams are disturbing enough already.

the other very cool and fairly similar thing is if you caving, sometimes they have you turn off all of your lights, and then you wait a bit, so your eye stops seeing spots and stuff from the reflected light from your headlamps. and then they ask you to wave your hand in front of your face. weirdest thing is that you will see your hand moving in front of you, even though there are no photons hitting your eyes, so realistically you are not actually seeing your hand, but your brain knows what you should be seeing, so it makes you see it.

Latest posts