My name is Mike and I am an addict

bouncer

Enlightened
B/S/T is a disease!

Welcome to the forum, consider it your second home... you will never leave!

Welcome Mike and just to correct the above B/S/T is the crack dealer !!!
darkness is the disease. LOL

Skyeye

Enlightened
I was addicted to portable lighting since childhood. I recently came out after 65 years of living on the planet!:eek:

Glad I found CPF too!:wave:

hamheart

Enlightened
:welcome:
i am a flashaholic as well, i think that the light that started my addiction must have been my first mod a 623 a very bad place to start because it is already one of the brightest mods so now after only a couple months on cpf i have a flashlight in EVERY room in my house including my bathroom and closet.
my lust for more light is insane. but i am happy that i am addicted to flashlights rather than cars or guns or knives because the bill for those things get big fast. but anyway welcome to the flashaholics club :D

georget98

Enlightened
From the "Are You a Flashaholic" poster in the hardware store.

If you can answer yes to any of these questions, you may be one.

1. You spend 30 minutes in the morning trying to decide which flashlights to take for a day at the beach.
2. You're puzzled at your friends' reaction to a flashlight that goes through $24 worth of batteries in 25 minutes.
3. You once tried to get a loan to build a refrigerated battery storage room.
4. You read in bed with a flashlight even though the power is on.
5. You've taken a shower with a flashlight.
6. When you move into a new neighborhood, there is always a rash of police reports about mysterious lights in the sky.
7. You have an account with Duracell.
8. When someone buys a new car you ask them about its headlights.
9. You buy a new car based on how many cup holders can be adapted to hold flashlights.
10. A hardware store clerk doesn't know what a PR-2 is; your 4 year old daughter then explains it's a 2.33 volt miniature flange base lamp.
11. Your picture is posted in every movie theatre in town.
12. You thought the "thousand points of light" speech was about you alone.

georget98

Enlightened
A Day in the Life of a Flashaholic

6:00 am Wake up. Yippee, it's fall and it's still dark out. Wash and shower with flashlight.

6:15 am Sun's coming up, draw blinds, make breakfast.

6:30 am Choose EDC for the day, think maybe I'm losing interest. It only took me 10 minutes to pick 4 lights. Check batteries, rotate standby batteries in chargers, check CPF.

7:00 am Bright outside, reluctantly go outside with all lights in pockets. Start car, do quick check on glove-box, under seat, door pocket, back seat, trunk, and engine compartment lights, getting late so decide to leave the rest for the weekend.

7:30 am Stop at Wal-Mart, quickly check the flashlight aisle, nothing new since yesterday, also for sales on batteries.

8:00 am First to work so the lights are off. Watchman comes through on his last round and is, for the 30th time this year, startled to see a flashlight beam bobbing on the ceiling.

8:10 am The rest of the crew start to arrive. I hear someone say, "Did the power go off, Are you in the dark back there?" Someone else laughs and says, "If the power's off, it's because he shut it off."

10:00 am Check UPS package tracking for about the 20th time since I got in. How long can it take to get from "Arrival at UPS facility," to "Out for delivery." Sudden sick feeling in stomach. What if it arrived after the truck went out? Start thinking of stories of disasters and sick children that need light to convince them to let me pick up on Saturday.

12:00 Check CPF. Find an online deal on a couple cases of D cells. Realize I'm going to have to shop for another refrigerator to hold them. Wonder if the workshop circuit can handle a third refrigerator.

1:00 pm Back to work. An electrician comes to replace a ballast. He's on a ladder and pushes up a ceiling panel to look at something. Pulls out a Mini-Maglite and discovers the bulb is burned out. I rush over like he's on fire and hold up a couple lights for him to choose from. Somewhat baffled, he takes one, looks into it, and turns it on. Fortunately nothing got damaged when he dropped it in surprise. Helped temporarily blinded electrician find his way down the ladder.

2:00 pm Call UPS to plead my case. They recognize my address, "You're the one that gets those regular deliveries from Duracell." Assures me the package is on the truck, scanner was broken. Relief washes over me.

4:00 pm Check desk lights, just in case.

5:00 pm Go straight home. YES! The package is there.

5:30 pm Bolt my dinner while reading instructions for new light. Had to force myself to slow down when I put in the batteries because I kept dropping them. Can't wait for dark.

5:45 pm Check CPF. Go out to workshop and try to see how many 123A's I can fit into a 6-D case. Browse catalogs for 60 volt lamps. Check light meter calibration.

6:30 pm Go outside and play with new light. Spend next 1 1/2 hours comparing with other lights and photographing beam.

8:30 pm Doorbell rings. Look out window and see police car. Turn on lights for the first time since arriving home. Officer explains there's a new neighbor and he called the station in a panic over the strange lights on the clouds and someone "shooting rays" at his house. Suggests I visit neighbor, "in the daytime," and introduce him to my hobby. "But don't bring all your lights like the last time. Break him in slowly."

10:00 pm Check batteries in emergency lights, replace where necessary.

10:30 pm Fall asleep reading a story of the World War II London blackouts, have very pleasant dream of an eclipse.

m16a

Enlightened
Don't worry, the kind folk of CPF will be here to help you through the addiction.. oops.. I lied!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! YOU WILL be Assimilated!!
borgwo6.jpg

credit to calgvla for the photoshop job

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about it. I told myself all I needed was Surefire 6P. The next thing you know I got a G2. There are still more lights on my wish list... Must resist the urge!

TumbleWeed

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,

My name is Tumbleweed and I'm a flasha-newbie. I only have a Photon Freedom and an EOS II headlamp :( but I've been reading here for 2 months trying to choose a flashlight. *mind-boggling to say the least*

I'm infatuated with the Milky Room Sweeper so I'd conclude that I too am addicted to lumens .... and great white walls o' light. :D

TW

AA6TZ

Enlightened
My condition is severe...manifesting itself with numerous symptoms 'normal people' cannot understand. Can you help?

Blinkie -- Man is it ever comforting to be able to bask in our flashaholicism out here on the tastefully-appointed CPF playground -- and among so many similarly-afflicted individuals! Our common condition has no real cure, however . . . the popular phrase: "Stop cryin' and start BUYIN'!" has helped me to rise above (and almost conquer) countless bouts of depressive funk, the symptoms of which begin the moment I see another torch that supersedes the one I'm carrying (which is too darned often, if you ask me).

So . . . use the aforementioned phrase as your call-to-action . . . CHARGE-forth (pun intended) and BUY man, BUY!!! There *IS* no other reasonable solution that I am aware of.

Like is often heard said: "Don't even BEGIN to worry about it . . . for you'll be dead soon." :devil:

-Clive

StephanTM

Newly Enlightened
hehe, great post! I wasnt aware of my "addiction" before i took a tech diving course in sweden. Was then introduced to HID-lights, and then it was downhill from there. Bought a Sartek 18W HID, further to Surefire+++ and then never endig story... :-D

jusval

Enlightened
Not all of us are Addicts:

I don't have a lighting problem, No Really it's not a problem! I can quit reading these forums any time I want. It's not like I need it or anything, I just look at lights for something to do.........

So what if I insist on a nightlight in every room of the house.....

So what if I've strung 15,000 miniature Christmas lights on the roof in the shape of Texas.....

So what if I get nervous in a dark room and have to turn a light on, have to, have to, have to...........

So what if I'm reading every post I can about every kind of flashlight I find, even if I don't understand what the heck it means.....

So what if I hide "Beam Shots" on my PC, from my wife, when she enters the room.......

It's nothing, Really................. It's not a problem........... :shakehead

Signed: Anonymous

Bruce B

Enlightened
I hear you guys on this one... This is the beginning down the long road of flashaholism. All I can say is :welcome:and enjoy your stay! LOL!
And it looks like I am officially a Flashaholic now :D

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is the flashlight version of Hotel California "You can check out anytime you like,but you can never leave.."

Welcome to the madness. Oh,and don't step on the little Surefires crawling around on the floor..wait, how did that happen!!! :popcorn:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The killer for me is when my sister says "bring a light".

It can be utterly agonizing trying to choose one of so many!

EDC is a piece of cake by comparison!

It's the use around the house light that KILLS me!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger was my first light as well.

I must warn you, if B/S/T is crack, then Custom & Mod B/S/T must be SUPER-CRACK, I was doing okay until I stumbled down that rabbit hole, then I get all these great suggestions on the next thing to try...

My furst trip with my McGizmo Mule & Surefire C2 I walked into a Hilton Garden Inn during a snowstorm & power outage. The McGizmo lit the bar up for the night (sitting on the beer tap). That only fueled the light addiction...
Good luck:welcome:

Neale