New 1150 Lumen Malkoff Wildcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. Do you think it will out-throw the M3LT at greater distances?

As far as overall distance is concerned, it can't come close to the M3LT. The Wildcat puts out a TON of light but it's much more diffuse than what you get out of the Hound Dog or M3LT.

Although the center of the beam was "just about as bright" the others were still very noticeably brighter. I didn't mean to imply that the Wildcat is a "thrower." Poor choice of words on my part. I guess I was just caught up in the moment!

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 17000 lux, the Wildcat should have some good throw to it. The current Wildcat is on my must have list.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does. It's set up with optics that do a good job of collimating the light into a defined spot, and the sheer power of the light ensures decent distance/throw. If you look at the beam shots over HERE you'll see a comparison with a relative unknown, the "Niwalker NWK550." That light is set up for throw - large, deep, smooth reflector with what looks to be a T6 XML driven to around 600 lumen. The dock you'll see out at the edge of the beam is probably 75 feet - not super long, but it's out there. Behind the dock is the Potomac River, and that dark water just 'eats' any remaining light.

The Wildcat offers as much apparent throw as the Niwalker, but does so while lighting up EVERYTHING in its path - tons of spill.

I need to get back to the beach and shoot the same photo with my new Hound Dog. I do believe the Hound Dog will throw farther - visually it looks to throw farther than the Niwalker (in real use around my house) and has a more focused spot.

You just gotta love 'em both. Malkoff quality putting out more light than most will EVER need! :thumbsup:

With 17000 lux, the Wildcat should have some good throw to it. The current Wildcat is on my must have list.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XPG Hound Dog has about 20k lux, and throws in the neighborhood of 250 yards in the real world.
I have 3 Wildcats, all different versions, except I don't have this latest V4. They all throw between 150-175 yards in the real world.
I have a dark street, and it's about 200 yards to the corner. The Wildcats don't make it quite to the corner with the amount of light that I'd prefer, but the Hound Dog makes it across the street into the woods and lights up the trees enough to see if anyone was in there.

I would guess that this latest Wildcat could probably hit around 200 yds or thereabouts. It will probably make it to my street corner.
But, the Wildcats are about area lighting, not throw. They just have decent throw because of their high power output. And because of that, they are a very useful combination light, because they are area lights which DO have some decent throw, and excellent for general purposes outdoors. My Wildcats are my favorite lights of all.

The funny thing about all these Wildcats that I have is that they are all different enough from each other to have their own attractiveness in their own ways. Even though each new version only had maybe 1-2 db increase in lumen power, they all are very interesting, and worth having.
I suspect this V4 will have its own 'personality' too, even though it's only about a db and a half more powerful than my V3 is.

Last edited:

bwall85

Newly Enlightened
This thread inspired me...

photobucket-4266-1346547941681.jpg

E1B w/ VME head and m30wf
md2 w/ M61W
MD3 w/ M91W
MD3 body
XML Hound Dog
Warm XML Hound Dog
Wildcat v4

That v4 wildcat is crazy bright! I'm loving it.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread inspired me...

photobucket-4266-1346547941681.jpg

E1B w/ VME head and m30wf
md2 w/ M61W
MD3 w/ M91W
MD3 body
XML Hound Dog
Warm XML Hound Dog
Wildcat v4

That v4 wildcat is crazy bright! I'm loving it.

what case is that? Pelican something?

nice setup man, I love it!

bwall85

Newly Enlightened
what case is that? Pelican something?

nice setup man, I love it!

Thanks!

Yeah, Pelican 1200

Look at the first page or two of this thread. another member posted pics of their case and I needed to make my own box o' malkoffs

scout24

Flashaholic
Props to Donn and bwall85 on the "Box o' Malkoff goodness..." I may have to do a bit of shopping. :rock:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
is that 1150 regulated for 45 min?

I have not gotten mine yet, but all of my other Wildcats are regulated for their rated run times, so I would assume that this one is too.
Also, the spec is for around a 9v input, which is at the rated 3 x CR123 or 2 x 18500 battery load of the MD3.
If you use the MD4 body with a pair of 3000mah 18650 batteries, you'll get double the run time.

Sh3ngLong

Newly Enlightened
I've bought a lot of Fenix, Eagletac, Olight, Thrunite, and ZebraLight flashlights, but I just ordered my very first Malkoff flashlight!! :grin2: Cant' wait!!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just pulled the trigger for a Wildcat and a few other items. This really will be a nice experience. Until now Maelstrom X10 is my brightest flashlight but it will soon be defeated by the new Wildcat. It will also be interesting to compare it to my Wildcat gen1...:popcorn:

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
Same here Sh3ngLong. Got the Wildcat and the md4 body and switch. I hope thats the best combo for what I will use the thing for. Either way, looks like folks around here end up with multiple parts and mix and match so gotta start somewhere.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here Sh3ngLong. Got the Wildcat and the md4 body and switch. I hope thats the best combo for what I will use the thing for. Either way, looks like folks around here end up with multiple parts and mix and match so gotta start somewhere.

i'll be doing what you did at some point! (with the MD4 body, too)

i'd imagine two 18650s in the MD4 would give the best runtimes, no?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll be doing what you did at some point! (with the MD4 body, too)

i'd imagine two 18650s in the MD4 would give the best runtimes, no?

Two 18650 batteries in an MD4 would give about double the published run time that was based on the MD3 with a pair of 18500.
So, you'd be looking at about 1.5 hrs - 2 hours of run time on Hi level, instead of 45 min - 1 hr.
And remember, these have a Lo level too, which is a general purpose brightness that lasts for much much longer than the High level.
Just a slight twist of the head switches High to Low, or vice versa.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two 18650 batteries in an MD4 would give about double the published run time that was based on the MD3 with a pair of 18500.
So, you'd be looking at about 1.5 hrs - 2 hours of run time on Hi level, instead of 45 min - 1 hr.
And remember, these have a Lo level too, which is a general purpose brightness that lasts for much much longer than the High level.
Just a slight twist of the head switches High to Low, or vice versa.

That's the way mine is set up. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.