SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
i'm really not the one to be posting macro or beamshots, but figure i'd provide a rough idea anyway...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting info, and I'm sure more will follow as things progress now that these have moved beyond the 'vapor' stage. Thanks for the info, @nosuchagency.

One thing I specifically find interesting, but which has little to do with the lights themselves, is this; the 'discharge rate' listed for the two cells. I don't really understand that info, but I admit it's a minor question given 2 completely new lights released!

Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 3.35.18 PM.png
:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a hard time choking 233-300 dollars on their light.
It's SureFire. Their prices were easier to swallow back in the day when their closest competitor was Streamlight. Fenix was around, but was very new to the industry. So much so that those early Fenix lights were only sold online and no where even remotely close to SureFire's quality. But you could tell the brand was on the right track. Just not there, yet.

Seriously, if quality was important to you back in the day; you either bought SureFire or Streamlight. And SureFire was still quite a bit better. Times have changed. Heck, more years ago than I can now remember; I had a dual fuel SureFire. Still do. A Leef-bodied 9P inca. (Use either 3xCR123 primaries or 2x18500 rechargeable cells without needing to swap out the bulb with a different one.)

Back in the day, that was practically unheard of.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
It's SureFire. Their prices were easier to swallow back in the day when their closest competitor was Streamlight. Fenix was around, but was very new to the industry. So much so that those early Fenix lights were only sold online and no where even remotely close to SureFire's quality. But you could tell the brand was on the right track. Just not there, yet.

Seriously, if quality was important to you back in the day; you either bought SureFire or Streamlight. And SureFire was still quite a bit better. Times have changed. Heck, more years ago than I can now remember; I had a dual fuel SureFire. Still do. A Leef-bodied 9P inca. (Use either 3xCR123 primaries or 2x18500 rechargeable cells without needing to swap out the bulb with a different one.)

Back in the day, that was practically unheard of.
Well when I was paying for gas at 1.89 a gallon, I had a lot more money to spend on frivolous things.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well when I was paying for gas at 1.89 a gallon, I had a lot more money to spend on frivolous things.
We all did.
However, for some, these SureFire models aren't going to be a frivolous purchase. They're going to be useful. Pragmatic for those who refuse to buy Made in China lights. Will only buy American. These are going to be fantastic for some. I do think they should have been released about a decade sooner, or with double the output today.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
And SureFire was still quite a bit better.
If I were inclined to 'argue' points, which I am not, I would likely take exception to that statement. Fortunately, unlike many, I do not come here to 'argue' or debate, and will not start today. Everyone has their opinion, I'm sure.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If I were inclined to 'argue' points, which I am not, I would likely take exception to that statement. Fortunately, unlike many, I do not come here to 'argue' or debate, and will not start today. Everyone has their opinion, I'm sure.
Yes. All I can say is, mine is based on experience from back in the day.
I've never positively or negatively spoken of things not experienced directly.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Keep trying - it won't happen:)
I'm not trying to do anything.
You seem to believe I'm trying to goad you into an argument.
Not my intent, I can assure you of that. That's something I've never done once since I joined CPF 17 years ago. Have no intention of starting that now. Have a good one.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The head on that is HUGE.

It's almost comical in a way how the executive series started with a small compact head in the incan versions, and as tech progressed the heads keep getting bigger and bigger.

Really a neat light, but it's unfortunate the low mode is a tailcap operation instead of head loosening or the gas pedal switch.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The head on that is HUGE.

It's almost comical in a way how the executive series started with a small compact head in the incan versions, and as tech progressed the heads keep getting bigger and bigger.

Really a neat light, but it's unfortunate the low mode is a tailcap operation instead of head loosening or the gas pedal switch.
I have to agree on both counts.
Doubt the heads would be so big if PK still worked at SureFire.

Choosing not to go with the gas pedal switch, I think was a mistake on SureFire's part. Long run, it could hurt sales.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
few feet. i don't have a clean wall to provide a better shot and my backyard is small & a mess; however, i work in an industrial environment and get in around 5:30 so will see if i can locate an area without much ambient light and post something up tomorrow.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Looks like there are 3 of the EDC DFT 2 for sale on the bay, 287 per each one. Personally if I was going to get one, I would get the 18350 version cause its the size of a 6P. It is good to finally see them out for sale.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like there are 3 of the EDC DFT 2 for sale on the bay, 287 per each one. Personally if I was going to get one, I would get the 18350 version cause its the size of a 6P. It is good to finally see them out for sale.
So far the photos look fairly 'pointy' (maybe less so in person), but on the flip side, probably deliver good reach in return.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recieved mine....Not sure what SF is trying to do, except hit all the latest light trends: 18650-rechargeable. Misguided high candela trend. Integrated pocket clip.

It's nice, but outclassed by quite a few other lights. Trends dont make for good lights. Superior illumination tools do, yet SF has missed the mark.

To get that ridiculously high Cd, a tiny LED in combo with a too-large-to-EDC reflector was used. So you have a 300-500 Lu or so (real world) and an 80K or so Cd. Weird. It's a long range light with minimal output.

Havent done any run tests, etc.

None of the documentation states where it was made.

The head will fit an E2 body, but older E2 heads will not fit this new body. Also, the two stage output is in the head, not tailcap.