The "Life's most important questions" thread...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
3 people check into a hotel that costs 30 dollars and split it three ways. 10 dollars each.

Later, the manager realizes their room is only 25 dollars and sends the bellboy up with 5 singles to refund the guests.

He pockets 2 bills because, hey, they can't split 5 three ways.

After they each get their dollar, they paid 9 per person. Add the 2 in the bellboy's pocket = 29 - Where's the other dollar?

Two of them paid $8.33 for the room, while the third guy had to chip in an extra penny. So he paid $8.34 for the room. That comes out to $25 even as the total. But if there was an extra dollar, that thieving bellboy would have stolen it too.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 people check into a hotel that costs 30 dollars and split it three ways. 10 dollars each.

Later, the manager realizes their room is only 25 dollars and sends the bellboy up with 5 singles to refund the guests.

He pockets 2 bills because, hey, they can't split 5 three ways.

After they each get their dollar, they paid 9 per person. Add the 2 in the bellboy's pocket = 29 - Where's the other dollar?
Because they didn't pay 9 dollars each for the room. They paid 8 dollars and 33 cents per. The bellboy gave them each a dollar back making it 9 dollars and 33 cents per. The 66 cents from the three of them make the 2 dollars he kept. (rounding off) The discrepancy is in the way it's stated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, if you are traveling at the speed of light, and you turn your flashlight on, would it do anything?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When taken at face value the sentence Everything is meaningless does seem to be foolish. However, can you honestly believe that 100 years from now anything you've accomplished will matter to anyone? Will your greatgrandchildren even know your first name?

:tired: Chance

I don't care about recognition. I don't care if my Great grand-children know my name. That's not what matters. I'm not Jewish, but I'll never forget this Jewish tale . . .

There was once a young man who was dismayed at what took place in the world. He wondered why God didn't send someone to make it a better place. As he grew older, he became somewhat successful. Yet, he still wondered why God never sent anyone to make the world a better place. And as he became an old man, he continued to wonder why God never sent anyone to make the world a better place. One day, the old man died, and he went to Heaven. There he learned that he would be allowed to ask God one question. Well, the man knew which question it would be. He asked God why he had never sent anyone down to Earth to change things for the better. To make the world a better place to live in. To make Life better for others.

God replied to the man, "I did send someone . . . I sent you."

You understand the meaning behind that story, and it puts things into perspective. The good work that people do isn't meaningless. It does change the world. The world is a very different place from what it was 1,000 years ago. The reason it seems meaningless is that the change comes at a snail's pace to us. You won't see the full impact of what you do in this world. A Lifetime for us mere mortals isn't long enough to see the fruits of our labors. But that doesn't mean that Life is meaningless or that those labors aren't worth doing.

What you do NOW, is what matters. The help you give to those who need it NOW, is what truly matters. You can wait around and hope to figure out your role in the Grand Plan that God, or Buddah, or Steve, or the Universe, or whichever higher being you believe in put you on this Earth for. Or . . . You can make the world a better place NOW. You can do that by seeing what needs improving, recognizing what you can do to make the world a better place, and then doing it. And if others did the same in their own corner of the world where they were placed, then perhaps, just perhaps; THAT is the Grand Plan. For everyone to go out and make the world a slightly better place. And if you can do, then you can make it all meaningful. Even if you don't live long enough to see the good you've done take shape in that meaningful way. Your Great grand-children WILL see it. They'll experience it. No . . . They won't remember your name.

Then again, if recognition matters most of all, there's always a bright red Ferrari and a diamond encrusted Rolex Daytona for those who care more about impressing strangers than they do for making the world a better place.

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting that. :)

Looks like I'm on the same path you are, though single. I'm afraid all I'd pick up at a pub are a handful of stale and extremely salty peanuts.
You shouldn't eat those free peanuts at the pub ... Think of all the other hands that have been in amongst them ... Not everyone washes their hands after visiting the toilet ! ... Hence the very salty taste ...

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very important question ... What is the square-root of infinity ?

Also can there be "Infinity plus one" ? ... I know that infinity is "one divided by zero" but why can't you add one to this ? ... If you can add one to infinity then zero is not right ! ... Because zero is "one divided by infinity , then what is "one divided by infinity-plus-one" ?

I worry about these things.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
You shouldn't eat those free peanuts at the pub ... Think of all the other hands that have been in amongst them ... Not everyone washes their hands after visiting the toilet ! ... Hence the very salty taste ...

+

mmmm salty__________:toilet:

===============================

Outside of my immediate family,
I'd never consider eating from something where other people are sticking there hands in,,,zero chance

Why would someone who is busy making the world a better place NOW, by seeing what needs improving, and recognizing what he can do, then doing it be bored?

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

~ Chance

Consider the mailbox, and your mail. When you open it and take out your mail it's like shaking hands with everyone of your neighbors. They all open theirs with their sweaty little fingers, then the mailman touches them all with his sweaty little gloved fingers, then he opens yours and fills it with biohazards. :eeew:

~ Chance

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
a midnight sleep deprived thought about the salty peanuts and toilet stuff.. ok, i have heard that not everyone washes their hands afterwards (EWW! dont get it) but even those that do.. when do they do it? do they wash their hands after they have pulled up their pants etc or before doing it. normally i would think you close your pants, tighten the belt and tuck the shirt etc and then go to wash the hands.. thats normal right?

now imagine, so there is stuff on your shirt and pants zippers and buttons.. not a nice thought is it.. but no worries, they do go to washmachine (often hopefully) so thats not THE thing i was wondering.. i was actually thinking: when was the last time one cleaned the belt one tightens after going to toilet?? ever? (yep. feeling the need to sanitize the belts now. i know i am.)

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the mailbox, and your mail. When you open it and take out your mail it's like shaking hands with everyone of your neighbors. They all open theirs with their sweaty little fingers, then the mailman touches them all with his sweaty little gloved fingers, then he opens yours and fills it with biohazards. :eeew:

~ Chance
Like I said "Don't eat the free peanuts in the Pub"

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
a midnight sleep deprived thought about the salty peanuts and toilet stuff.. ok, i have heard that not everyone washes their hands afterwards (EWW! dont get it) but even those that do.. when do they do it? do they wash their hands after they have pulled up their pants etc or before doing it. normally i would think you close your pants, tighten the belt and tuck the shirt etc and then go to wash the hands.. thats normal right?

now imagine, so there is stuff on your shirt and pants zippers and buttons.. not a nice thought is it.. but no worries, they do go to washmachine (often hopefully) so thats not THE thing i was wondering.. i was actually thinking: when was the last time one cleaned the belt one tightens after going to toilet?? ever? (yep. feeling the need to sanitize the belts now. i know i am.)
I wash my hands before going to the toilet ... I know where my bits have been , but I don't know if my hands have touched any yucky stuff ... Wouldn't like to transfer any yucky stuff to my bits ... Best to be safe ! ... Wash the hands first.

If you really want to be clean , wash afterwards as well and get someone else to open the door back into the bar ... I never push a door open using the polished brass bit , I reach up and push on the top of the wooden door on a hopefully untouched area or use my foot to push the door open ... My belts are always amazingly clean and the brass buckles are nice and shiny ... Germs don't like the taste of brass-polish or the polish I use on the 4mm thick leather belts ... I'm happy with my personal hygene and I don't get colds or flu or tummy complaints.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I thought they were salty because the bartender adds more salt to the peanuts, to get folks thirsty, in order to get patrons to buy more beer.

But you might be right. :green:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why would someone who is busy making the world a better place NOW, by seeing what needs improving, and recognizing what he can do, then doing it be bored?

~ Chance

Honestly . . . Doing several different things to make the world a better place doesn't usually translate as exciting or awesome. For example: Dropping off bags of food at the nearest Food Pantry isn't exciting. Writing a check to your favorite charity isn't exciting. Pretty much anything you can think of in order to make the world a better place, just isn't going to be exciting.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an important question:

Is this thread a conspiracy? I see it distracting people from the "Thread Killer" thread. I think someone's trying to win over there, by bringing the attention over here!

Distracted... that's a funny word. Do people ever get 'tracted'?

Latest posts